return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
scratch needles
View this Thread in Original format
take5
can someone recommend me to some good cheap needles for scratching? thanks
dj_kane
you can use any needles. if you want cheap enough ones just use the standon 500 als.
djkoolaide
quote:
Originally posted by dj_kane
you can use any needles.

that is SO incorrect.

get the Shure m44-7's. they are very difficult to make them skip. and they don't wear your records out because they can scratch using about 1.5g of weight (if you're just playing records, they can go as low as 0.5g!!) sure, a lot of needles can hold the groove and not skip, but you need like 4g of weight on them which will kill your wax (like my current ortofons do :( )
dj_kane
he's asking for a cheap set of needles and the 500 als haven't done my records any damage.
take5
price range around $30 each
djkoolaide
then the stanton carts would probably best for that price range.

and btw i meant m44g, not 44-7
Timski
Ive got the pink ortofon scratch carts and there super dooper...

Also its not really a good idea to scratch with quality needles not only will they skip all over the place it will cause you to turn your counterweights right in and feck up your vinyls.
Cheetah86
quote:
Originally posted by djkoolaide
then the stanton carts would probably best for that price range.

and btw i meant m44g, not 44-7

I think you were right the first time. The M44-7 is marketed more as a scratch needle, the M44G is marketed more as a "club" needle. Not sure what the difference between them is. I've also heard that you can interchange the needles between the two, as the cartridges themselves are the same, but I'm not sure if this is true.
IDarkISwordI
quote:
Originally posted by Cheetah86
I think you were right the first time. The M44-7 is marketed more as a scratch needle, the M44G is marketed more as a "club" needle. Not sure what the difference between them is. I've also heard that you can interchange the needles between the two, as the cartridges themselves are the same, but I'm not sure if this is true.

The M44-7 has a much higher sensitivity than the 44g however, at a slight loss in quality and a higher gain in the upper freqs (which isnt always wanted).

Cheers,
Zac
spdandpwr
the m44-7 tracks at a higher weight (3 grams recommended) vs the m44 which can track at 1.5. According to some article i read, if you set-up the cartridges properly the m44g's can scratch just as well as the m44-7s. But for scratching i would go with the 505sk. They suck but for a cheap needle, they track reasonably well and for me i just turn the counter weights up to 6g's or more. The only reason why i track so much is because first my records go out of date within a couple of months so it doesn't matter if they last long or not and two its the only way they won't skip. hence why if scratching was perfected on cd players, everything would be fine

Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by spdandpwr
my records go out of date within a couple of months

???
spdandpwr
hip hop records usually most songs don't remain hot for long.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement