return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
my left ear is more sensitive to loud sounds
View this Thread in Original format
jun139
i was just mixing with my headphones onli .. and when i took off my headphones .. my left ear felt like it just came out of a rave .. while my right ear felt normal ...am i goin deaf ?? does this happen to anybody else :confused:
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by jun139
i was just mixing with my headphones onli .. and when i took off my headphones .. my left ear felt like it just came out of a rave .. while my right ear felt normal ...am i goin deaf ?? does this happen to anybody else :confused:

Maybe you're just playing it too loud?

You don't have to blast your headphones really unless you're playing out and it's difficult to hear things because of noise around you.

But yes, if you cue with your left ear and it's sensitive that's a sign that your ears are telling you to take it easy.

You'll get a good few warnings but eventually it'll be too late.

Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) will start to develop as well, and then you're definitely going to know if things are getting worse (trust me :()

nelly
jun139
yeah man .. thanks .. .. uh oh .. im getting worried ..
PutBoy
Lower the volume immedietly!

I have a stereo in my room that has a digital volume knob that goes from 0 to 30. I notice when producing, and mixing, I'm constantly rasing the volume. I don't even know I do it, I just do. So lately, I've come up with the habit, with a bit of effort, to lower the volume when I think it's too low. ie doing the reverse of what I naturally would.

Maybe you should try that.
n3lly
Just to give you an example of what's bad.. And to think that most clubs are giving out over 100db.. often a good bit above that as well.

Put it this way, you should definitely be scared.. As should be all. If i had the balls and the money i'd invest in hearing products as we're going to be the first generations to really have hearing problems. (with all the portable music players, ipods etc..)

Anyhwo.. The below is nabbed from
http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB
Permissible Exposure Time

85 db
8 hours

88 dB
4 hours

91 db
2 hours

94 db
1 hour

97 db
30 minutes

100 db
15 minutes

103 db
7.5 minutes

106 dB
3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB
1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB
.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB
.46875 min (~30 sec)
jun139
thanks alot for the advises guys .. ill do what putboy is doing .. coz sometimes i think i tend to increase the volume a bit when im mixing .. so yeah .. better start to listen to music softly now .. i would be hell pissed if i go deaf.. what use would a music student be if hes deaf .. damn ...
MikeyN
its actually natural that your left ear is more receptive to sound than the right dont worry ;)
sr126
quote:
Originally posted by PutBoy
Lower the volume immedietly!

I have a stereo in my room that has a digital volume knob that goes from 0 to 30. I notice when producing, and mixing, I'm constantly rasing the volume. I don't even know I do it, I just do. So lately, I've come up with the habit, with a bit of effort, to lower the volume when I think it's too low. ie doing the reverse of what I naturally would.

Maybe you should try that.

the way i learned was to set the volume at the begining of you set/session, and no-touchie afterwards. that way you don't raise the volume past the level you were comfortable w/when your ears were fresh.

your ears will still get tired... but atleast you will not compound the fatigue w/possible hearing damage.
jun139
hahahha cool stuff dudes.. thanks for the advice ..yall .. im now fighting temption by not trying to turn the volume up .. hahaha its abit hard.. :whip:
DJ 00 Tommy
Sorry im not sure if this has been posted but you can kind of trick yourself into not turning it up louder.
Find a point on the volume knob you dont want to go past.
Start of low, then keep slowly slowly turning it up. You will still feel like your turning it up and since you started low it will feel realy loud. I remember using this trick at a house partie once because i didnt have a decent sound system. I started off lower then when things where kicking off i started boosting the volume.

Trancedewd
I get this aswell, although in my right ear. Whenever i listen to music really loud or go to a club my right ear feels 'bloated' and sometimes even painful. I've had tinnitus for 3 years now. By the way, i cue with my left ear.

Suggestions?

Keep volume minimal
Buy earplugs

I've actually not spun on my bedroom setup for about 5 months now (living away from home at the moment) and my tinnitus has reduced considerably - im thinking of selling my setup to save my ears.
DJ 00 Tommy
Also, i baught PA speakers so i could make more $$ on doing small parties. Bad choice, buy good moniters you will get fullness of the music without having to turn it up very much.
Its what im doing.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement