return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Levels on mixer/speakers....?? Xone 62 owners help!
View this Thread in Original format
Sound O fTrance
I am quite confused as to how I should set my xone62 mixer's gain, and speaker gain, to get my meters up and showing at the ACTUAL 0db level so that I could visually see if my speakers are going to CLIP.

If I keep my speaker gain at 0db I literally have to literally pump the speakers full throttle before I can see my peaks get up near 0db... is this normal?

Should the mixer gain be up 100%, and then adjust the speakers accordingly... or should I leave the speakers at 0db and adjust master on mixer as much as I need?

Basically I just want to see the meters ACTUAL range so that I can see clipping... my Xone also has an "aux" option which I am not so clear about…but once I use it I get the track playing through my headphones without even cueing it., yet it allows me adjust the mixers meters up and down, I don’t see how that would help as its not showing the REAL signal?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Allen Mueller
Lots of good stuff here.

http://www.rane.com/note135.html

It applies to live sound with a mixer and mics, but the same applies to dj mixers. A search on the internet about system gain structure should turn up some usefull stuff also. There is a small part about some tool they say you can buy but you can see it not needed. It sounds like your setup is a mixer and some powered speakers should be easy to get right. Anyway the article should get you on the right path. I'm not shure how the signal routing is on the 62, but the manual should clear up what the aux is for and which signal your meters are showing.

allen
Sound O fTrance
thanks a bunch Allen, going to be reading that soon
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement