return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
CD or Vinyl? Whats the best way to start?
View this Thread in Original format
substorm
So, i have thought of this for a long time now, but i have been focusing on my music productions, to get that going. So now im on the right path, i was thinkng of buying som DJ gear.

Im not totally lost regarding mixing and using a Dj setup, but i have no background in this matter, so i wanted to check with you guys what you think is best and easy to start with, CD or a pair of Vinyls?

Thanks
C
discobiscuit
1) vinyl
2) vinyl+serato
3) vinyl+serato+cdj's
4) vinyl+serato+cdj's+ableton

vinyl teaches you the raw art and its all gravy from there...

whatever you do, dont buy cheap equipment. i started w/ cheep stuff and a year later had to upgrade everything... i wish i would have bought quality from the start..
dj_kane
vinyl will die out in a few years so cdjs are a better investment. if your starting off maybe cdj200s but if you have the money get the 800s saves you having to upgrade in the future.

i think getting starter packages is stupid as your always going to upgrade so start at the top and learn to use the top hardware from the beginning. thats my biggest regret as i wasted about £1000 in different mixers then got the djm600 and i wouldnt want a new mixer.

dont listen to people saying its better to start basic it aint, your jsut going to regret the money you waste.
DjWoody
CDJ's + Serato.

That will save you tons of cash on vinyl.
dj_kane
quote:
Originally posted by DjWoody
CDJ's + Serato.

That will save you tons of cash on vinyl.

would a laptop not also be required for this setup?
xstalkrx
haha another endless vinyl / cd thread...

but ya...vinyl is a waste of time..and MONEY if you ask me. Ya..it will teach you the art...but so will cd's.

You pay 10 dollars on average for one vinyl, and then there is shipping and you also have to HOPE AND PRAY that the vinyl is in good condition. Static pops...etc. Oh, and, you gotta worry about buying needles for your turntables, and if one of those breaks, there went 50 dollars at least.

You pay 2 dollars on average for a digital track that will not degrade over time and you never have to worry about the integrity of a digital track. How many times does a laser break on a cd player?

My vote...

Vinyl is dying and you can easily see why with my above reasons. Start with cd's and if you really get into the whole dj thing, get a laptop with serato so you easily organize your entire music library.
msz
go to a dj store, and use both cd-j's and turntables. Or even better, try to find a friend that has either or. visualize yourself after what would be ideal for yourself.

personaly, i enjoy the feel, the spirit of vinyl. I like super high end cd-j's. but for one of those i can get used technics + serato + mixer. about to get serato scratch live.
discobiscuit
i agree w/ msz... u can get the cdj's later :) but if you do get tt's make sure you get serato too because it will save you a lot of money in the long run (you can just play mp3/wav files instead of buying records for 10 bucks a pop).

ps you dont need a "laptop" for serato, but you do need some type of computer... mac or pc
Allen Mueller
If you already have a decent laptop, or computer, you could get two used 1200's, and Serato for less than one CDJ 1000.

Allen
pkcRAISTLIN
id have a play around with both and see which you like better. it really comes down to personal preference. anyone thats saying "vinyl will be obsolete" in a couple of years is full of . yes, digital music is cheaper to buy, but vinyl still sounds better.

go with what you think is best. ignore the fanboys ;)

Dj_Es-Dva
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
go with what you think is best. ignore the fanboys ;)

very important advice there!

if u decide not to go with vinyl, as many do i will recommend not going with CDJ's go for serato or Final Scratch instead. they're both mp3's but in the long run its a lot better and cheaper (if thats what ur after)
miamitranceman
My first setup was/is 2 CDJ-800 mk2s and 1 DJM-400...all quality and I haven't looked back. Vinyl mode on the 800 or 1000 gives you the "effect" of vinyl without the pain in the ass skipping, balancing, etc.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement