return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
2007, new begginings.
View this Thread in Original format
Nemesis44
Well it's another year over and last year saw me looking to quit following but a swift come back.

Well, I realised DJing is all I know :nervous: Well all that I'm interested in.

2007 looks to be an interesting year for me, as my DJ career is slowly getting back on track and it sees me get signed to a record label so some Nem tracks are going to be out there (I know, shameless promotion).

But 2006 makes me look at variety of things. The scary thing is that you have a new breed of DJ. The one who has never known vinyl and even looks down on CD (Not all I do declare). I have been witness to this on a couple of forums and indeed one or two club nights.

The live performances with Ableton that I bore witness to have left me cold and unmoved and this was even before I knew the guys were playing on a laptop.
The only laptop performance I saw last year that really rocked was PvD in Ibiza, but then you have to expect that from him.

Something that strikes as a major difference is what your entry point was in DJing.
In my experience at least, the guys who have been on vinyl then CDJs will have a different outlook to the capabilities of Ableton et al, as they have learnt to deal with the restrictions of each format before that and probably wished that some features were available to them.
The majority of laptop entry level DJs (that I have witnessed) are still strugling with the basics of DJing such as track selection and when to mix.
The myth that Ableton will make you sound like an experienced DJ is just that, a myth.

It still hasn't convinced me to pick it up as it is too dull for me, but I do have to admit that I respect anyone who can use it well.

So what of the rest of us?

Well, for a start the music industry is changing. There are so many producers out there now it's scary as music creation software becomes more accessable. Remember if you are creating music, then try and put your mark i.e. personal touch on your music rather than just trying to sound like your favourite artist.

DJing and production are art, so make it your art.

And for anyone who DJs but does not produce music, or at least tried then I would recomend that this is one of the things you try this year as it will change the way you DJ and make your better at it, I guarantee it.

Sure, we know how to EQ a mix but it's not until you have managed to do a good mixdown on a production that you really understand it. What I'm saying is this... Producing tracks will take your understanding of sound and how it works to new heights and they can for the most part be applied to your DJing in some form or other.

It does also change the way you listen to music but don't be sucked into the habit of judging a track purely on it's production values. Remember that clubbers often wont know the difference and given that a lot of soundsystem can be quite relentless there is a good chance that you wont hear it either.

So what if this year?
Well, if nothing else, learn something new.

If you are a bedroom DJ, make that special effort to try and land you that first gig. It doesn't matter how big or small but put yourself on the map and stake your claim!.

Learn the tools of your trade well, and then make a point of letting everyone else around you know it too.

Whatever format you use I wish you all the success in the world and that 2007 is a good your for you.

All the best
Karl (That's Nem's real name you know ;))
T-Soma
Thanks for the read Nem.
I gotta say, new years morning a played my first proper gig. It was at a warehouse party. It was in a side room and it didn't pay but it was the most fun iv ever had and the sun was rising as I played my set!!
My set went so well that by half way through it there where more people in the side room dancing than there where on the main dance floor.
Finally playing music I love directly to a crowed who loved it as well was so much fun.
There was a crap mixer and duel cd players (i had never used cd players before) but none of that mattered! I am still on a high from it.
Most fun I have ever had.
Leaving the booth and having countless strangers congratulate me was a good feeling.
BRING ON 2007!
jupiterone
I woke up today feeling extremely confident for some reason.

Hopefully it'll be a good year.

Cheers Nem
Nemesis44
It's a great feeling huh.

I did a three hour set from midnight and then did an afterparty, went home posted a few messages and then played an hour and a half at an outdoor party. Sun is shining but I think at that point everybody who was there was too f*cked and tired to care, so played a down tempo set.

It is a nice feeling coming away and having people congratulate you. Basically it's them saying that you have made their night special. Always a plus.

Glad you had a good gig.

Cheers
Nem
Nemesis44
I felt good about it too. Still haven't been to sleep yet but I felt a real buzz at midnight.

Must be something in the air.

Cheers
Nem
pkcRAISTLIN
congrats on getting signed nem :)
theognis1002
congrats

Nem do you produce and thats why u got signed? Or just cuz of ur sets?
SPAWNmaster
congrats on getting signed. good observations about the scene btw
Nemesis44
quote:
Originally posted by theognis1002
congrats

Nem do you produce and thats why u got signed? Or just cuz of ur sets?

Got signed with productions, truth be told probably don't have enough talent as a DJ to be noticed that way.

Cheers
Nem
s3nate
Nem do you by any chance have that downtempo set recorded?

Michael May
Happy New Year
Raveaddict19
yeah...2006 wasnt so hot for me. Had tons of ups and downs so I'm really hoping that this year will be different and I'll be able to make some positive changes. Thanks for the inspiring words as always. Congrats on getting signed.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement