return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Music Producers Promotion

Help on Copyright
View this Thread in Original format
Aeon
Does anyone no the copyright rules for posting a remix on myspace or your own personal site? I have just completed a remix and wasn't sure whether i cud add it to myspace or not or even my own site???

cheers in advance for any help
sterilis
a lot of people have remixes of tracks on their myspaces. im not too sure on the rules of it though. it might be only if your making money from it, then it becomes illegal.
Aeon
quote:
Originally posted by sterilis
a lot of people have remixes of tracks on their myspaces. im not too sure on the rules of it though. it might be only if your making money from it, then it becomes illegal.

yh thats wot i was thinking, not 100% sure but I no that its just a place where you showcase wot u can do and a remix shouldn't do any harm if your not selling it on... ill put it on and see wot occurs

thankx again
Lancaster
I did a remix and wanted to upload it to myspace - therfore I asked the label. unfortunately I didn't get permission.
It says on myspace that you need the permission of the owner if you want to upload a reproduiction (cause a remix is a reproduction)
DJ_Eternal
quote:
Originally posted by Lancaster
I did a remix and wanted to upload it to myspace - therfore I asked the label. unfortunately I didn't get permission.
It says on myspace that you need the permission of the owner if you want to upload a reproduiction (cause a remix is a reproduction)

True.

If you upload without their permission, your playing with fire. You may not get burned for it, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Uploading using sendspace or such may be less risky as they're only available for a short space of time.

:)
Nemesis44
Lancaster is correct. The simple answer is unless you have permission, you are not allowed to do it.

In the eyes of the law you are promoting yourself with the use of someone elses work. Admittedly you have done your fair share of work on it, but the answer is no. The only time you are likely to get permission (with exceptions) is if they feel that it does the track justice and they would be prepared to release it.
As a producer I see it something like this, if someone makes a remix of my track and starts spreading it I would either be concerned that it doesn't do my work justice or alternatively it's better than mine and it's spreading on the net and people are not buying my track. With the latter I would be trying to get it signed with the label I'm with so that 'A' An awesome track will get noticed and recognition will also be placed where it's due and 'B' I wouldn't loose out on royalties.

Getting samples cleared is a different story but can be just as hard. :nervous:

In terms of copyright you are technically not even allowed to play your own re-edit in a club as a DJ. But this is one of the laws that is very hard to enforce especially with Abelton, besides I think most Producers accept this as a natural part of the dance music industry.

Keep in mind that I am answering this with the eyes of the law and industry as a whole and this may not reflect my own feelings on the matter...

Cheers
Nem
Takkra
lets say, you've got a midi of Gouryella.

you import it, and use the notes for your own synth.

when you build a track around it, from scratch, even though using those exact same notes, you are even allowed to release it.

but, when you sample one of their signature synths you can get in trouble.

(I did the the same with a remix from scoop - drop it)

i asked the same question to john marks and michel de hey, they both gave the above answer.
Aeon
thanx to every1 for ur help ill not be adding this to my myspace now then :D better start my own productions again and leave the remix's to one side...
Lancaster
why don't you ask the label for permission before you make a decission?:)
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by Takkra
lets say, you've got a midi of Gouryella.

you import it, and use the notes for your own synth.

when you build a track around it, from scratch, even though using those exact same notes, you are even allowed to release it.

but, when you sample one of their signature synths you can get in trouble.

(I did the the same with a remix from scoop - drop it)

i asked the same question to john marks and michel de hey, they both gave the above answer.

Yeah, only thing is you'll get sued for plagiarism that way.

Subtle
I have a remix of Madonna on myspace, who cares anyways ?
Nemesis44
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
Yeah, only thing is you'll get sued for plagiarism that way.

Yup, Mr. Mystery is bang on. You will get just as f*cked that way. Not to mention that just about everybody on the trance scene will know what you have done and who would take your seriously after that?

You would be better off calling it a Gouryella remix than trying to pass it off as your own work. That is actually more serious in the eyes of the music industry.

Nem
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement