return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Virus TI with Ableton
View this Thread in Original format
djms
Hey

Does anyone here use a Virus TI with Ableton?

I have an audiophile 2496 and want to buy one but I'm just concerned I may not be able to use it as I had trouble with the Virus B
Eldritch
I don't use Ableton, but it should work just fine. There are some video tutorials supplied with the latest OS.

I find it odd that you couldn't get the Virus B to work, since it's just a midi/audio synth. It doesn't have VST control like the TI.
Zombie0729
quote:
Originally posted by djms
Hey

Does anyone here use a Virus TI with Ableton?

I have an audiophile 2496 and want to buy one but I'm just concerned I may not be able to use it as I had trouble with the Virus B

i'm on a virus ti(latest os) and ableton 6.07. everything works great. virus ti main output is via usb and since the virus ti uses usb integration as its main power there is almost zero latency on this thing.

your probably not using the delay function correctly in ableton for your virus b to work because i was on a c before i switched over and it worked fine.

buy the ti, you'll be really happy you did
G-Con
I've got a ti with live 6 and it works okay. There were many problems for people in the beginning but I think the latest OS has sorted most of it out...take a look at virusti.com/forum. Lots of useful info there. To be fair it seems some people still have problems but I think you'll never know for sure until you try.

I think those who are using the ti as their soundcard experience more problems but as you are not, you should be okay...
djms
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie0729
i'm on a virus ti(latest os) and ableton 6.07. everything works great. virus ti main output is via usb and since the virus ti uses usb integration as its main power there is almost zero latency on this thing.

your probably not using the delay function correctly in ableton for your virus b to work because i was on a c before i switched over and it worked fine.

buy the ti, you'll be really happy you did

hey man

I did use the delay compensation on my virus b - I got it pretty perfect but it would never sit as tightly as software, I've been able to use the virus b for ace sounds like swoosh ups and stuff but not for bass or leads

If I use the TI will I still have to use it in a similar fashion to the virus B or does it act like a soft synth in that when I render the full mix it will render the Virus sounds as well or do i need to record on to a new track.......

any other help tips advice anyone can offer on using the TI with ableton would be ace.

I have an audiophile 2496 as well - would i be better getting a sound card with more ins/outs?

thanks so much guys for any help :)
Zombie0729
quote:
Originally posted by djms
hey man

I did use the delay compensation on my virus b - I got it pretty perfect but it would never sit as tightly as software, I've been able to use the virus b for ace sounds like swoosh ups and stuff but not for bass or leads

If I use the TI will I still have to use it in a similar fashion to the virus B or does it act like a soft synth in that when I render the full mix it will render the Virus sounds as well or do i need to record on to a new track.......

any other help tips advice anyone can offer on using the TI with ableton would be ace.

I have an audiophile 2496 as well - would i be better getting a sound card with more ins/outs?

thanks so much guys for any help :)

the virus can only have 1 instance up per live set. however the virus can run 16 tracks at a time but it all comes out the same output so you can't individually process them.

so if your virus was only doing 1 thing in your track, then yes. however you're going to realize you're going ot want much more once you hear its sounds.

then you'll have to bounce to tracks. you should be bouncing all the time anways from you b? sorry man, not trying ot tell you how to produce but sounds like you're doing things the lazy way
Eldritch
You will be able to render your track, just like a VST, BUT...
You have to do it in real time. Which is kind of a pain when you've got a full 8 minute track. But it's worth it because the TI sounds wicked.

I don't find the output limitation (There's actually two stereo outputs, not one) an issue. The TI comes with a 3-band EQ
that you can use on every part so mixing with the TI works just fine.
There really is no need to render out each instrument as separate tracks.
The TI is 16 part multitimbral, but expect to run out of polyphony after 5-8 parts if you use unison and many reverbs.

By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to use reverb/delay sends with the TI? I seem to remember that was the case with earlier Virus models.
djms
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie0729
the virus can only have 1 instance up per live set. however the virus can run 16 tracks at a time but it all comes out the same output so you can't individually process them.

so if your virus was only doing 1 thing in your track, then yes. however you're going to realize you're going ot want much more once you hear its sounds.

then you'll have to bounce to tracks. you should be bouncing all the time anways from you b? sorry man, not trying ot tell you how to produce but sounds like you're doing things the lazy way

yeah i know whatcha mean there

makes sense what Eldritch said about EQ on the Virus so you can process all sounds individually with virus on board processing.

If i bought a soundcard with more ins and outs would I not be able to process more than one channel at a time though using ableton effects?

I'm hoping as well i won;t have to use delay compensation for the TI cause thats what I did for the Virus B and I could never get it perfect even when i was using rim shots as markers on the tracks

thanks guys for all your comments though - really appreciated :)

I'm hoping to buy the TI soon but trying to work out whether or not it is worth it with the amount of hassle it will be to work with it
Eldritch
You can record with the analog outs and you get 3 full stereo tracks. But you will need to do delay compensation. With USB this is not the case. It will compensate automatically like a VST.
djms
quote:
Originally posted by Eldritch
You can record with the analog outs and you get 3 full stereo tracks. But you will need to do delay compensation. With USB this is not the case. It will compensate automatically like a VST.

sweet

delay compensation was pain in the ass - I'm so glad the Ti will sync to the beat automatically :)

thanks Eldritch!

Eldritch
quote:
Originally posted by dj_palm
i always wondered how the usb/vst thing works on TI, does it works like 16 separate vst synth which u can add other efex on in your sequencer? so u have realy 16 stereo outs over usb? if this is the case i might want a TI in a few years.

Read the thread. You get two stereo outputs.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement