return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Ableton 6 LE
View this Thread in Original format
MOSEuphoric
Hey.

Whats the main difference between Ableton 6 LE and Ableton 6?

Anyone know?
G-Con
come on mate. surely you look at ableton website first. I did and in 10 seconds found the following

http://www.ableton.com/pages/live_6...omparison_chart
Drake44444
LE sucks and full version doesn't
i got big pants
does anybody know whether or not 6 LE compared to the full version will prohibit mixing in general? basically will i be missing anything major? i want to get my feet wet with ableton...maybe try and make some songs, but mostly just want to mix with...but i can't really justify spending $500 on a piece of software that im probably not going to use to its fullest ability.

most of the differences between the LE and full version, i wont be using at the moment, to be honest.

what about the midi clock? could somebody kinda explain it? read up as to what it does...but is it an integral part with mixing via ableton? since i'd probably be using a midi controller such as a uc-33, or a remote zero sl.

im sure once i dive into it if i decide on picking up the LE version, ableton will have those upgrades available for LE.

:conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:
DJ Simo
quote:
Originally posted by i got big pants
does anybody know whether or not 6 LE compared to the full version will prohibit mixing in general? basically will i be missing anything major? i want to get my feet wet with ableton...maybe try and make some songs, but mostly just want to mix with...but i can't really justify spending $500 on a piece of software that im probably not going to use to its fullest ability.

most of the differences between the LE and full version, i wont be using at the moment, to be honest.

what about the midi clock? could somebody kinda explain it? read up as to what it does...but is it an integral part with mixing via ableton? since i'd probably be using a midi controller such as a uc-33, or a remote zero sl.

im sure once i dive into it if i decide on picking up the LE version, ableton will have those upgrades available for LE.

:conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:

Just buy an "academic version" off of ebay. It's about 1/2 the price and it's the full version. The only catch is that you may have to show them proof that you're a student "wink wink" ;) Problem solved.....
Drake44444
Or find a free version of live lite and upgrade from that, it is actually much cheaper that way.

But anyway, use the Ableton demo a little bit to understand the features. LE does offer enough capabilities for djing, just not for anything too intensive or for production. I don't know the exact details, but I think you can run 3 or 4 tracks with a couple of effects with LE.

quote:

does anybody know whether or not 6 LE compared to the full version will prohibit mixing in general? basically will i be missing anything major?

I would say no, but again research by trying out the software first is best so you can know exactly what the multitude of features ableton live has to offer are. But LE does I think offer more features than Traktor 3 does.
Drake44444
Oh and one more thing, if you can use live LE and eventually do want to get into production, you will have pretty good knowledge of a solid production tool as well.
i got big pants
ive fiddled around with ableton lite...i must say, its been a while since ive actually enjoyed learning something new. was a bit difficult to really try anything with being limited to two tracks, but the overall basic warping wasnt too bad...reading stories about people's inability to warp files kinda seemed like a daunting task, but hell...it aint that hard.

probably end up picking up LE for the time being to run on my so-so computer, and once i can get the funds for a dedicated computer for torq and ableton...hopefully by then be pretty proficient with ableton LE that i can make the jump to the full version.

thanks for the input drake44444
Drake44444
Also after looking at the comparison, the biggest thing missing from LE is the racks features. These allow to condense effects and put multiple effects to one control. It was a great addition to Live 6, but you still can use effects without the racks. Racks are kind of important for using effects while djing and there are some really good ones out there and you can design your own effects from the ground up, but then again live 5 was great without that feature.

Yeah and warping is not too hard at all. After you get it, it takes 2 minutes. Downloading and renaming a song is more of a hassle.

EDIT: I looked again and clip editing is not so great with Live LE, so you can't really do studio sets.

But the key feature I think you are looking for is:
quote:

MIDI Remote Control and Instant Mapping
Yes

which is good.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement