return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 
vocal keying method?
View this Thread in Original format
carmatic
Hi, I am wondering how do some of the producers do that effect where they take a vocal sample, and separate it into different parts based on what key or note is being sung, then construct a melody by rearranging these separated parts of the sample?
The way I think it is done is they load the vocal sample into something which scans it , then splits it wherever a different key is detected, then these individual sections are used like an instrument... am I right?
3F05Q
Well, you pretty much answered your question!

Most DAW programs allow you to manually cut the wave up into smaller parts and then copy/paste manipulate/rearrange them as you see fit.

What program are you running?
carmatic
currently im just using a sound editor, and its painful and claustrophobic to manually go through a sample for different keys... the end result is fun but i am looking for an easier way than copying, pasting, adjusting the selection marker to copy again, etc... isnt there like a plugin for a program somewhere which scans a sample and tells you which keys are being played when?

Like, how about I have multiple sections selected in my vocal sample, and I assign each selection to a different key on my hypothetical MIDI keyboard (I dont own a keyboard)...Then as I record myself playing through the melody one key at a time I can alter the position of the selection markers for each time the key is being played i.e. the positions of the start and end markers for the selection is a variable of the keystroke(I dont know the proper term for it, its like how hard you press on a piano), then I time everything properly on a sequencer... Does what I just said sound like an excerpt from a sci fi novel or is there actually something out there which does just that?
Sanguis Mortuum
quote:
Originally posted by carmatic
The way I think it is done is they load the vocal sample into something which scans it , then splits it wherever a different key is detected

Erm, why would you need something to do this for you, surely unless you're tone deaf you can hear when it changes note (not key, the singer will be singing in one key, its unlikely there will be a key-change/modulation in the middle of some vocals), and cut it manually. Most people would probably just chop it manually then rearrange the parts by ear to something that sounds good rather than worrying about what actual note each part is...

Now if you ARE actually completely tone-deaf, something like Melodyne should be able to detect the notes that are sung for you...
carmatic
quote:
Originally posted by Sanguis Mortuum
and cut it manually.

I'm not that tone deaf but it takes me many many many tries to get a sequence to sound in-tune, especially if the vocal was sung in an 'expressive' way or something... I can stick with whatever I've managed to get from the sample and then pitch correct it, but I'd prefer to get the correct source material in the first place... Does Melodyne highlight the sections which are on-key within a certain tolerance or something, cuz that'll be kind of what I'm looking for , to get a series of tight-sounding vocal samples which don't sound like an instrument which needs tuning because the notes are off, and without the chipmunking or golem-like effect if I had to correct the pitch...
Khayat
Stuiped Q ::D
Can you do this with Atotune or Melodyne ?
3F05Q
I don't know much about autotune, but i think so. I do know melodyne and waves tune can.
carmatic
quote:
Originally posted by Khayat
Stuiped Q ::D
Can you do this with Atotune or Melodyne ?

the thing is, parts of the sample I have is sung on-key, I just need to detect where these parts begin and where they end... I dont want to need to mess with changing their pitch etc... Is buying Autotune or Melodyne my only option?
Khayat
Im reading now about both I really find Autotune kool but bcuz I never any of them I have to read other peoples comments and many agree that Melodyne 3 kicks Autotune :o
Sanguis Mortuum
Melodyne will definately do what you want, it will still be a lot cheaper to do it by ear though...(unless of course you acquire Melodyne for free, which of course I would never condone ;) )

Khayat
doesnt the essential come free
carmatic
quote:
Originally posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Melodyne will definately do what you want, it will still be a lot cheaper to do it by ear though...(unless of course you acquire Melodyne for free, which of course I would never condone ;) )

Well, it will be better if I actually get paid for doing it by ear... Cuz that's what it feels like...

What is this 'essential' thing? do you have a link to it
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement