return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
question about ReDrum
View this Thread in Original format
lowski
hey guys. Heres my question. I have a kick sample but to tune it to the rest of the song the pitch is at -14. it sounds fine but i dont have monitors and i was wondering if there is any sub freqs that i may not hear in my head phone. or anything else i should be concered with when changing the pitch so much.

the kick im using is from VEC2, its the; UK Tran#4E73 . the root note of the song is E flat.

I also noticed that lowering the pitch makes the sample longer so i made it shorter from length:127 to 72.

thanks for the help
djsphere
The word that musicians use for frequency is pitch.....

.....so, yeah sure it will affect the frequency.
derail
73's a good kick alright. Very meaty, but with top end that cuts right through.

When I use it straight up (no pitch shifting) I tend to bump 210Hz down a bit, and also use a high pass filter around 40Hz. The sample does have quite a boomy low end tail to it, so shortening the sample could work quite well.

Start saving some money for some quality monitors. I depend on mine to work out the low end. Maybe if I turned the headphones up I'd be able to tell what's going on down low, but for me it's easier to just go to the monitors, tweak and I'm done.
echosystm
as far as i am aware, there is little merit in tuning a bassdrum, since it has basically no harmonic quality...
johno27
Depends on the kick itself, some kicks may not need to be tuned either because your were lucky enough to hit the right key to use with it upfront or because it has a lot of transient and not much low end / decay. It's the low end decay that resolves to a specific frequency/pitch and works better when tuned. 90% of edm works best with a tuned kick. The best way is to make your own kicks, using source material like the kick you have to obtain the transient click portion then layer it with your own correctly tuned decay portion. That way you don't alter the characteristics of the front (which is completely percussive and has no audible effective pitch) while tuning the low end to suite the key of your track.

Tuning the entire kick sample down usually alters the sound too much, but if you're happy with how it's sounding then thats great.

You'll probably need to cut off everything below 35-40hz with an eq on your kick. Also bear in mind that the body/punch of the kick is around 100-160hz or so, make sure after tuning it down you're not losing the punch in that area or else your kick will sound more like a snap on domestic hi-fi's.
Sanguis Mortuum
quote:
Originally posted by echosystm
as far as i am aware, there is little merit in tuning a bassdrum, since it has basically no harmonic quality...

Well, to put it bluntly, you are wrong.
sterilis
quote:
Originally posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Well, to put it bluntly, you are wrong.

not necessarialy. you could debate all day about it. but the majority of kicks do have no harmonics. ive used kicks in d minor for C# tracks. some people key them some don't. i tend to just use the kicks that fit with my tracks.
Sanguis Mortuum
quote:
Originally posted by sterilis
not necessarialy. you could debate all day about it. but the majority of kicks do have no harmonics. ive used kicks in d minor for C# tracks. some people key them some don't. i tend to just use the kicks that fit with my tracks.

A kick is basically a sine with a click at the beginning. A sine obviously has a frequency which can be tuned.

If you were talking about a snare or a hat you might be right, since they're pretty close to white noise, but most kicks have a very clear fundamental frequency...

Obviously you dont need to tune your kicks, but it can make it sound better. Also, you obviously dont need to tune your kick to the exact root note of your track, as long as it is tuned to a note that doesnt clash too much...
sterilis
quote:
Originally posted by Sanguis Mortuum
A kick is basically a sine with a click at the beginning. A sine obviously has a frequency which can be tuned.

If you were talking about a snare or a hat you might be right, since they're pretty close to white noise, but most kicks have a very clear fundamental frequency...

Obviously you dont need to tune your kicks, but it can make it sound better. Also, you obviously dont need to tune your kick to the exact root note of your track, as long as it is tuned to a note that doesnt clash too much...

but most kicks dont clash because the harmonics are mostly non-existent. as i said theres no right or wrong answer. but i could throw up 10 kicks and you would be lucky to key one or differentiate just by ear.
Eldritch
A kick doesn't have an exact frequency due to the fast downward pitch modulation. However they do seem to sound better when tuned correctly. There's no scientific way of determining the "key" of a kick other than using your ears.

Sanguis Mortuum
quote:
Originally posted by sterilis
but most kicks dont clash because the harmonics are mostly non-existent.

Why does this mean they wont clash? If, for example, your kick has a fundamental of D and the root of your melody is D#...it will clash and sound dissonant...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement