return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Yamaha HS-80m vs ?
View this Thread in Original format
Frequency Frank
Was in a Sam Ash over the weekend and demoed a pair of Yamaha HS-80m's. A/B'ed them against the Event TR8's, and there was really no contest. THe Yamaha's seemed to image significantly better, and sound a lot more clean. The highs were a lot more crisp, and the bass was warm and seemed to roll-off nicer. Honestly, I almost wonder if the TR-8's were broken, because the difference was so great and I'd heard so much about Events.

That said, I'm wondering what else is around for cheaper, that would provide similar performance. The Yamaha's are about $700/pair from Musician's Friend. I'm looking at:

Fostex PM-1
Alesis M1 MKII's

Open to suggestions as well. I'm looking for something that will have a usable response curve fairly low, but don't want anything boomy.

Thanks for your help :)
cryophonik
Get the Yamahas! I a/b'ed them against everything in the +/-$300 range and there was no contest. The new Mackies were a close second, but at ~$400 more. So, I bought the Yamahas thinking that I might add the sub later on, but after having them for a few months now, I don't think I need or want the sub.

If you're looking to save money, check out the Yamaha HS50Ms.
Frequency Frank
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Get the Yamahas! I a/b'ed them against everything in the +/-$300 range and there was no contest. The new Mackies were a close second, but at ~$400 more. So, I bought the Yamahas thinking that I might add the sub later on, but after having them for a few months now, I don't think I need or want the sub.

If you're looking to save money, check out the Yamaha HS50Ms.

Nice :toocool: I listened to the HS50m's after the HS80m's, unfortunately, so the lack of bass was extremely apparent. Same great clarity though. Time to save those pennies!
flutlicht junky
I was gonna get the HS80m then i saw the size of them!!! They're a proper unit, no way was that going on my desk lol

So went with the Event ALP5 - really really happy with amazing stereo field - like a wall of sound. :)
echosystm
I was deciding between HS80s and Event TR6s. I ended up getting the TR6s because I found the Yamahas were too sensitive to positioning. Rear firing ports are less than ideal for a bedroom studio and I prefered the versatility of front ports. Sound-wise, HS80s had less tightness in the bass, but it was obviously deeper. Both monitors were standouts for me, among KRKs, Mackies, EMES, and god knows what else I tried. You'll be very happy with either of them, they sound more expensive than they are.
Frequency Frank
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ordered up the HS-80m's, and will give them a try. I'm concerned about positioning, as they'll be pretty close to a wall. Hopefully with the HP switch and some foam I'll be able to keep the bass fairly sedate and clean...I really enjoyed the mids when I heard these, and like that the freq response is relatively flat in the midbass as well; not much irks me more than a peaky midbass (really colors the midrange in a 2-way system, imo). Hope to have a full review soon :)
Zombie0729
i just sold my rear port monitors because of all the reverberation problems...
Frequency Frank
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie0729
i just sold my rear port monitors because of all the reverberation problems...

I'm pretty resilient when it comes to fixing audio problems related to the listening environment, so hopefully I'll have better results.
Chronosis
Great monitors for a great price. Got mine for 500€ half an year ago. Between KRK Rokits there was no contest.
chrisspob
i also have just finaly purchased these, ive been saving for a few months now and was considering the a7's too, but after hearing them both in the shop, they didnt sound good enough to warrent the extra cash, i prefered the sound of the yams, weather that means there better for mixing on or not you tell me

adrian_nicholl
Just got HS 50M's today as it happens

Never heard the 80s, but the 50s are absolutely fantastic once setup (room compensation as they are close to the wall and sweet spot etc).
echosystm
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_nicholl
Just got HS 50M's today as it happens

Never heard the 80s, but the 50s are absolutely fantastic once setup (room compensation as they are close to the wall and sweet spot etc).

make sure you get the sub at some point. these monitors are too small to be doing any serious mixing on.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement