return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Kick/Bass grouping
View this Thread in Original format
darkt
TA's

Do all producers compress their kick and bass on a seperate group channel ?
Do you cut all the other frequencies off from the bass eg, cut everything from 15oohz ?

over and out
Darkt
Dj Nacht
Ive read a few times of people compressing the bass and kick together but I never understood why. They both have different peaks and waveforms so they both require seperate compression. Thats just my opinion and Im open to any arguements. I usually chop everything under 40hz on both the bass and kick. I never really touch the highs though but im sure there could be reasons to cut them.
Eldritch
quote:
Originally posted by Dj Nacht
Ive read a few times of people compressing the bass and kick together but I never understood why. They both have different peaks and waveforms so they both require seperate compression. Thats just my opinion and Im open to any arguements. I usually chop everything under 40hz on both the bass and kick. I never really touch the highs though but im sure there could be reasons to cut them.

Agreed. I only compress my bass. The kicks I use are most likely already compressed.
Zombie0729
i usually do when i have 2 or more kicks & a strong sub bass... usually if i have a strong sub bass, i'll need 1 kick to somehow compliment the sub bass and another to punch thru it. compressing them together gives it a lil more unity.

but 8/10 projects, i don't compress them together
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement