return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Parallel (New York) Compression.
View this Thread in Original format
cristianokeller
Hi guys, can someone tell me if parallel compression (new york compression) technique also applies to trance or only house music?

For those who don't know what is parallel compression, it's a technique of hard compression in only 50% of all the beats (and bass sometimes), preserving most of the original dynamics range from beat signals but adding an extra punch to the cake.
Eric J
I've done it before. It can sound good if used sparingly. When I have done it, I have has it only coming through at about 20% of the total volume and it does add a slight bit of punch. That being said, I think you can get the same effect with careful selection of sounds, good EQ and smart compression, so I don't really use it much.
palm
i do it alot on hihats and snares, its so easy in reason.
cristianokeller
Hi Palm, why only in hats and snare? Claps also?
Do you believe that the kick in trance should not change dynamically by parallel compression?

I mean "in trance" because in the video Macprovideo.com Logic 404 Olav Basoski uses parallel compression in all the drums elements including the kick, but it's house, not trance...

tks
palm
on kicks i do alot more stuff and its realy diferent from each project. yeah i could ofcourse do it on claps too but i rarely use any claps except the 909 clap which is nice unprocesed imo. sounds raw :D
No Left Turn
It's a technique that can be used in ANY genre of music. I do more commercial type dance music and it sounds great in most applications (there are cases where this does produce the desired effect). Like Eric J said, it sounds great when used sparingly. You don't want to apply it to everything.
pwnage1
quote:
Originally posted by palm
on kicks i do alot more stuff and its realy diferent from each project. yeah i could ofcourse do it on claps too but i rarely use any claps except the 909 clap which is nice unprocesed imo. sounds raw :D

The 909 clap sounds awesome unprocessed i like to layer it with another clap with stereo effects and such. Sounds nice.
Dj Nacht
Why the heck would it only be used in specific genres of music? Wtf? Come on think about it... nonono it sounds good but im not allowed because its only for house music.. nono im going to hell now. All genres have drums in them usually and well if you wanna add the compressed sound tucked under the uncompressed sound... DO IT.
cristianokeller
Yes I also love the 909 sounds, claps, open hats and snares still fits in actual dance music needing only a little touch of processing :D

Guys I mentioned about the use in house drums including kick because I think that house really needs to have that whole full dirty punched thing coming togheter from 1 bus... Right?

But in trance...? I'm thinking about it and will do some tests later with my tracks routing the kick directly to output... Vengeance kicks sound really amazing in my iTunes direct from cd..
Mybe the dinamycs of a comercial trance kick should be that and nothing more...

Maybe I'm wrong...
MaxC
quote:
Originally posted by cristianokeller
For those who don't know what is parallel compression, it's a technique of hard compression in only 50% of all the beats (and bass sometimes), preserving most of the original dynamics range from beat signals but adding an extra punch to the cake.

This definition is incorrect, unless I am misunderstanding you. Parallel compression is when an auxiliary bus is compressed alongside the original signal, and the two channels are mixed together to the extent that you prefer. The percent of each channel that gets mixed could very well be 50%, but any ratio could be acceptable if it achieves the sound you are after. Your definition makes it sound like you are turning the compressor on and off every other beat, which, while it may be a valid technique, is NOT parallel compression. It sounds like English may not be your native language, so perhaps you just weren't getting across what you meant to say. I just wanted to clarify for anyone that hasn't heard the term before and thinks people are describing something other than what they are.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement