return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 
production hardware and equipment advice?
View this Thread in Original format
CrazedOut
So my buddy wants to begin to produce with me. He is planning to get the OpenLabs Niko production studio which is like 4 g's! I'm just wondering if that piece of equipment is worth it or are there some better options for us? We're both new to this, money is not really the issue, we just wanna make sure to get something that would benefit us the most and would be a good choice.
Any advice or opinions?
spolitta
Nice Avatar
Storyteller
Just make sure you have a proper pc, proper set of speakers and a midi-keyboard. And don't forget to buy your software ;).

Then you should be all set.
cammaxwell
quote:
Originally posted by spolitta
Nice Avatar

+1
Storyteller
quote:
Originally posted by spolitta
Nice Avatar

quote:
Originally posted by cammaxwell
+1

Stoners!
csfp
What the hell is OpenLabs Niko ? (sorry I don't feel like googln today :P ).

You need :

1) Mac or PC
2) Proper Audio Interface (something like Motu or RME)
3) Pair of Monitors (like Adam, Mackie etc.)
4) MIDI Keyboard Controller (like Edirol PCR-500 or M-audio etc.)
5) Sequencer software (Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Fruity Loops etc.)
6) Some nice plugins (synths and effects) ... there is just too much to name.

Well thats it, you may want a nice condenser or dynamic mic, some acoustic treatment in the room, a hardware synth or a dsp platform (like Powercore or UAD) ...
CrazedOut
Just one midi keyboard will do?

The OpenLabs Niko is this here: http://www.openlabs.com/timba-overview-neko.html

It has pretty much everything in one, I know the learning curve is really long but I've been researching a bit and the only downside I find is the price, which is why I was asking here if it's worth buying or are there better options.
Storyteller
well a lot of software can be obtained for free ;)

So you can just have a swing at it before you empty your bank account. Maybe you'll find out you don't like this as much as you thought you would. And if you do like it after all, then start spending cash :). I'd say Neko is too expensive to start with when you don't know much about music production.
spolitta
If you or your friend are just starting out don't waste any money on hardware that you are not sure you need. All you need is a good converter, a good set of monitors and a fast computer. As you learn and get more involved with production YOU'll know what you need and why you need it and that's the time to drop money on hardware. I highly suggest you spend most of your money on the best set of monitors you can afford and get a mid range converter like the Motu lite or apogee duet. For a keyboard controller I recommend any Novation SL or the SL compact.
Owsey2008
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
I'd say Neko is too expensive to start with when you don't know much about music production.

Definitely.

Monitors are one of the main priorities, make sure these come before other devices like your Vst's, controllers etc... I'd also recommend FL studio as it allows beginners to get a good grasp of DAW's before moving on to something more pro like Cubase or Logic. A good audio interface is also a priority!

Happy producing :D

Storyteller
I'd like to add you neither need monitor speakers or midi keyboards. I'd just suggest you to try out some programs. Get a demo of fruity loops or another program and some plugins and try it out. See if you like making music first before you start spending it on (fun but expensive) gear.

Of course having monitor speakers and a midi keyboard makes the creative and technical process a lot easier. But I wouldn't spend the cash before you have actually tried music production for at least a couple of months.
CrazedOut
Thanks for the advice. Software already we have so I guess time for monitors and a midi key.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement