return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
EQing Bass & Kick
View this Thread in Original format
phreaque modi
Hi guys,

I'm just wanting to know if I'm doing this right. In my trance projects, I tend to EQ the kick so it peaks mostly at 60Khz ~ 120Khz, and the offbeat bass peaks somewhere else & cutting the lower frequencies taking the mud out of the bass(in order to prevent interferring between the low bass area).

Am I doing that correctly?
burnedwithin
how does it sound?

What you are describing is probably right for something, and it may very well be quite good for what you are working on right now, but I would hesitate to stick to a hard and fast rule for every track ever. As they always say, use your ears . . .
msz
post an audible sample
phreaque modi
Alright, [[ LINK REMOVED ]]

Can you hear the kick & bass clearly without interfering? Are they both well mixed?

Your opinion means a lot to me
djandymac
quote:
Originally posted by phreaque modi
Alright, [[ LINK REMOVED ]]

Can you hear the kick & bass clearly without interfering? Are they both well mixed?

Your opinion means a lot to me
sounds clear enough to me
G-Con
From what I can tell on the crap setup I'm listening on, the bass is on the off beat. So the kick and bass do not play at the same time, therefore how can they interfere with each other?

You only need to cut freq's from one to make room for the other if they play at the same time.
Falck
...sounds ok to me 2, but only you can tell weather that is the way you want it to sound.

Cheers
phreaque modi
quote:
Originally posted by G-Con
From what I can tell on the crap setup I'm listening on, the bass is on the off beat. So the kick and bass do not play at the same time, therefore how can they interfere with each other?

You only need to cut freq's from one to make room for the other if they play at the same time.

I applied slight delay (classic 3 steps) & some reverb to the bass, so it interferes somehow with the kick.
BTW, I don't use sidechain, do I have to?!

And does this clip sound crap?
Theran
Freq's seem to be solid. Nothing is really interfering as far as I can tell (listening on a crappy setup though). You could use sidechaining, but with an offbeat bass with a little delay you don't really need to.

Sample sounds nice, good kick !
phreaque modi
quote:
Originally posted by Theran
Sample sounds nice, good kick !

Thanks, the bassline actually is the freeware ASynth VST & the kick is from the free VIPZone pack...

Darkarbiter
quote:
Originally posted by phreaque modi
BTW, I don't use sidechain, do I have to?!

:stongue:
phreaque modi
BTW guys, What are you using for the basslines? What VSTi's? What sample libraries?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement