return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Akai MPCs
View this Thread in Original format
kitphillips
HAI Guis!
Haven't ever really thought about getting one of these before (thought it was just for hip hop mainly :o ), but I saw a friend using it for minimal the other night and realised it may have some potential.
Does anyone here use one? What sort of stuff can you do with it? Is it good for mangling samples or really just playing drums on the pads? How would it integrate into a live setup etc... and what is the best one to get for this purpose?
Lots of questions but really just wondering what people's thoughts are...
I'd be up for doing glitchy techno, maybe some stuff a bit like Lamb, just generally trying to add a live element to my sets:)
echosystm
i've used one and i think they are very overrated. cutting up loops is tedious, to say the least. i don't know how people can bare staring at those tiny LCDs for so long. in my oppinion, guru or ableton are far better and more flexible. i think it's only worth getting an MPC if you want to do live stuff and are afraid of your computer crashing. otherwise, an MPD + guru wins, hands down.
kitphillips
Yep, unfortunately I was in the computer crashing situation the other day, and its worried me a bit. Ableton just starting crackling something awful...:nervous: :(
pwnage1
Another, better alternative would be the roland mv-8800 LINK it is pretty much the same thing as the mpc but you can connect it to a computer monitor. I also think you can connect a computer mouse too.
flutlicht junky
To add some live element to your sets you could assign some loops in Ableton to Akai's MPD24 http://www.dv247.com/invt/36346/

And use the faders / encoders to reverse, filter and generally mangle
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by echosystm
it's only worth getting an MPC if you want to do live stuff and are afraid of your computer crashing. otherwise, an MPD + guru wins, hands down.

+1. MPCs also get dated and they're expensive. Both the screen and programming them is tedious. Guru is like an MPC and Electribe hybrid with load of other features, and a never ending sample library (your own).

Unless, you hate computers I don't understand why anybody who just wants to program percussion would use an MPC now. You can buy the MPD, to give you the feel and Guru gives you the possibilities.
flutlicht junky
Bear in mind you dont have to trigger just percussion samples, you can trigger long loops or whole instruments of your tracks plus some variations.

But for production work a MPD24 does what you need IMO.
pwnage1
If you do decide to get a midi pad controller, i suggest you look at the Korg Nano Pad.
kitphillips
Actually I'm already looking at a monome for control, I'm just generally trying to find some ways of working not involving a computer screen at all. Or at least new ways to control stuff.

The MPCs are a bit expensive (probably about a grand for the 1000) but they don't date too badly, they're still doing OSs for the 1000 which was released 5 or so years ago AFAIK.

Thanks for the comments though, info is much appreciated.
Simon_N
I've been trying to get a monome but they are hard to get hold of.

DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by kitphillips
Actually I'm already looking at a monome for control, I'm just generally trying to find some ways of working not involving a computer screen at all. Or at least new ways to control stuff.

The MPCs are a bit expensive (probably about a grand for the 1000) but they don't date too badly, they're still doing OSs for the 1000 which was released 5 or so years ago AFAIK.

Thanks for the comments though, info is much appreciated.

If you want to go hardware, have a look at the electribes. The older models are a bit dated (limited) but the X range is well worth looking at, they're easy to get and second hand are quite cheap too. Check some of the vids on youtube....
kitphillips
Thats a good idea, I had a play with the electribes once, I'll look into them again.
How are they for creating loops and triggering them on the fly? I know the step sequencer is awesome.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement