return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
My Question Thread :D
View this Thread in Original format
neverforget
I'm trying to figure out how to setup my first studio. I still haven't purchased anything as of now but I've been doing some research into it.

Anyway, say for example I want to record a guitar or bass, can these go "directly" into an audio interface or must they first go through a mixer? I'm still extremely new to all this but I personally thought an audio interface had "Audio input jacks" for guitar, bass etc, to be recorded :conf: Also, does the same apply for microphones?

Thanks! :tongue2

EDIT: I've turned this into a thread to ask multiple questions in. Please bare with me as I've only just started learning! Feedback on my questions would be great!!
evo8
Depending on the audio interface, yes, they can go directly into it, no need for a mixer as far i know anyway
neverforget
quote:
Originally posted by evo8
Depending on the audio interface, yes, they can go directly into it, no need for a mixer as far i know anyway

Thanks man :D
glsmaster
Hey there, you can plug your instruments directly to the interface, thing is when you are tryng to connect some other devices, is for that reason you need a mixer, no need for one very expensive, there's a ton of mixers out there that cover this need.

In my case I use a little 4 CH mixer to connect some desktop synth, a microphone and so on.

Good luck man.

Cheers.
neverforget
quote:
Originally posted by glsmaster
Hey there, you can plug your instruments directly to the interface, thing is when you are tryng to connect some other devices, is for that reason you need a mixer, no need for one very expensive, there's a ton of mixers out there that cover this need.

In my case I use a little 4 CH mixer to connect some desktop synth, a microphone and so on.

Good luck man.

Cheers.

Ok, thanks man!
neverforget
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl...snum=1&ct=title

Are these just hard drives?

Also, I was looking at the "Pictures of your home studio" thread and came across this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E 6600
Motherboard ASUSTeK P5B Deluxe
2 Gb DDR
2 Serial ATA HD 80 Gb
1 Serial ATA HD 250 Gb

Is this all I would to have myself a full working computer? Also, if i wanted internet access, I could simply just plug my modem in, right?

Any answers will be much appreciated!

:)
EgosXII
quote:
Originally posted by neverforget
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl...snum=1&ct=title

Are these just hard drives?

Also, I was looking at the "Pictures of your home studio" thread and came across this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E 6600
Motherboard ASUSTeK P5B Deluxe
2 Gb DDR
2 Serial ATA HD 80 Gb
1 Serial ATA HD 250 Gb

Is this all I would to have myself a full working computer? Also, if i wanted internet access, I could simply just plug my modem in, right?

Any answers will be much appreciated!

:)

all you really need is a simple computer with an audio interface unit, so yeah mate: that setup's completely fine :)

if possible, a setup like the one you quoted is pretty good! really the only difference in getting a bit cheaper one would be that you're programs would go slower, or lag a bit...
kitphillips
You CAN plug your guitar or bass into an audio interface with a hi Z or instrument input. A lot of interfaces have them these days, but some are better than others, and some don't have any at all.

You don't need a mixer unless you run out of channels on your audio interface, you'll only want to use one if you have a lot of hardware
synths.

Mixers are a bad idea for recording guitars and bass.
You don't want to try and use guitar rig and run direct in on the guitar if thats what your thinking. It doesn't work. You'll need to mic an amp or use an amp modeller.

You DO want an audio interface with enough inputs and outputs that you won't run out. Look at RME, Focusrite, Echo and Presonus interfaces. RME are the best, presonus are the cheapest.
T-Soma
Presonus are great value for money, you get that solid quality feel, I am speaking from experience and also many others will tell you the same.
Echo are also a good choice according to many people here on TA.
RME are without a doubt an excellent option but you will have to pay for it.
Focusrite look decent but I know nothing about them.
neverforget
quote:
Originally posted by EgosXII
all you really need is a simple computer with an audio interface unit, so yeah mate: that setup's completely fine :)

if possible, a setup like the one you quoted is pretty good! really the only difference in getting a bit cheaper one would be that you're programs would go slower, or lag a bit...

Great! Thanks very much man. Also, I have a question about "Screen monitors"... My computer is fairly old (at least 6 years), The brand of the computer is "Time computers" and apparently they don't even exist anymore... So, will I be able to plug my old screen into this new setup I was looking at? Thanks in advance!!

:D

neverforget
quote:
Originally posted by kitphillips
You CAN plug your guitar or bass into an audio interface with a hi Z or instrument input. A lot of interfaces have them these days, but some are better than others, and some don't have any at all.

You don't need a mixer unless you run out of channels on your audio interface, you'll only want to use one if you have a lot of hardware
synths.

Mixers are a bad idea for recording guitars and bass.
You don't want to try and use guitar rig and run direct in on the guitar if thats what your thinking. It doesn't work. You'll need to mic an amp or use an amp modeller.

You DO want an audio interface with enough inputs and outputs that you won't run out. Look at RME, Focusrite, Echo and Presonus interfaces. RME are the best, presonus are the cheapest.

Thank you very much for the in-depth reply! Unfortunately, RME are too expensive, although they do look very capable. I took a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Focusrite-Saf...id=p3286.c0.m14

Any opinion on this? Also, I see nothing to do with "MIDI" in this AI. Could I still easily plug a MIDI keyboard in via a USB to USB cable and work from there?

Thanks in advance! :D
neverforget
quote:
Originally posted by T-Soma
Presonus are great value for money, you get that solid quality feel, I am speaking from experience and also many others will tell you the same.
Echo are also a good choice according to many people here on TA.
RME are without a doubt an excellent option but you will have to pay for it.
Focusrite look decent but I know nothing about them.

Thanks for the choices man :) My funds are too low for any "RME" products, though I took a look at some focusrite material. I'll also look into the Echo brand! Thanks again :p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement