return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
RMS normalize
View this Thread in Original format
Sonic_c
I am looking for free RMS normalizer plugin in vst format. ANy names of good plugins would be a help.

THanks
Beyer
rms normalizer? Sounds to me youīre looking for a limiter.
Free good limiters? None that I know of, but you could have this one a go.
I havenīt tried it myself.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/download.php#free
Vortex_SA
quote:
Originally posted by Beyer
rms normalizer? Sounds to me youīre looking for a limiter.
Free good limiters? None that I know of, but you could have this one a go.
I havenīt tried it myself.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/download.php#free

this is actually quite a good limiter IMO :) and free too...
Sonic_c
no definatley not a limiter let me explain I only have the stock peak normalizer in cubase. This will boost the song to 0db say from the peak leaving the quieter bits of the song almost unchanged try it yourself. I am doing a degree in music tech at university now and my tutor had a rms normalizer and it boosts the rms levels not only the peaks. to achieve this without an rms normalizer i would indeed have to limit to -3db say and then peak normalize the whole track but then it would chop of the top end of my song. You get me?
kitphillips
you realise those peaks will then be clipping?
Sonic_c
yes in theory but rms normalizers take this into account and boost all freqs relative to each other but more than just a peak normaliser. I can also deal with stray peaks with a limiter. hard to explain but my music tech tutor is a mastering engineer also and he got a song of mine louder by like a massive amount by using a few things but mainly the rms normalizer. I should wait to speak with him when im next in class i suppose but when i have found it our would you like me to post the details pics of waveform before and after etc?
Beyer
I might be completely off, but this is exactly what I feel is the sole purpose of the limiter.
But do post back ith more info after talking to your tutor. :) Though Iīm way past the days of squashing my mixes to oblivion. :whip:
Sonic_c
Again im sorry as it seems you think i mean compress it all to bits. This technique is widely used to get tracks to cd quality (i am told anyway) and as for quality my this is one of the things he did to boost overall volume without comprimising quality amoungst other things in a big studio at university. I too am way past squeezing things to oblivion in fact I dont think i used a compressor apart from one multiband to tighten things up in my last mix. I am really starting to get especially with the course why you guys get so annoyed at people asking things they can learn themslves!
Beyer
Cd quality you say.. That would be as loud as cds are today?
Most mainstream music is over compressed sadly, as you probably know.
Iīm skeptical at the concept of rms normalizing honestly.
But follow your own ears, and be the judge.

rms normalizing is a short cut in order to get several tracks to have roughly the same sound level, as your tutor may have said already.
Not really useful just for finishing up a single track imo.

Back on topic, I donīt know of any rms normalizers. But wouldnīt a good mastering limiter do the same job? Boosting sound level peaks over 0db WILL cause clipping, and is a compromise either way you put it.
Having a good limiter do the job, and use a tool to see the rms sound level, and push the limiter as far as you "need" should yield better results.
I just push the limiter to the point where just a few peaks here and there gets clipped. If some people think my tracks arenīt loud enough - well :tongue3

not trying to be a wise ass, but itīs just my humble opinion. :)
Sonic_c
yeah i would like a good limiter but do limiter boost quieter parts?

MaxC
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic_c
yeah i would like a good limiter but do limiter boost quieter parts?

Assuming the gain reduction from the limiting is being compensated for, yes, the quieter parts would be boosted as well. The entire track would be boosted by the same amount regardless of the original levels. The same is actually true of peak normalization and RMS normalization for that matter. When it comes to normalization, peak vs RMS is really just a matter of reference point. Whether you need a +3 dB boost to reach unity gain or a +3 dB boost reach your target RMS level, the end result is the same. The only difference would be (as someone mentioned previously) that the RMS normalized version may require limiting to prevent clipping.
kitphillips
I guess if you RMS normalised then applied a limiter, that would be the ideal way of avoiding clipping and getting the most volume. But I'm not too obsessed about this stuff these days, overlimited stuff is a pain, but if its mixed well most tracks can take a fair bit of limiting. For a long time I was scared of limiting and didn't use it enough, which sounded equally bad IMO....
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement