return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Boosting will power or "how to get ass off couch"
View this Thread in Original format
boris_the_bear
Increasing will power (and fighting with its lack) has become a n.1 priority for me at this stage of my life. I sometimes estimate how much I could have achieved (and losses I could have avoided) if I had simply done at least what I had planned for a certain time period (a day, a week, a month etc). Somewhat relevant to Vivid Boy's post on controlling one's life, it really is a great thing and it basically starts from the your ability to stop lying to yourself, doing things you should! do rather than things that simply require less effort. \

Recently, considering my ultra-laziness, I have developed a personal little technique to literally trick myself into getting my ass off the couch and doing something.

What I basically do is set certain circumstances in such way that I am then forced to a certain inevitable behavior which is otherwise impossible to achieve by raw will power. I have learned to distinguish two types of my own will power: type 1 being the easiest power enough to set certain circumstances, and type 2 - the will power that is required to directly achieve the end result (behavior). Obviously, I lack type 2 will power, so I try to utilize type 1 will power to achieve the end result, that is via a longer "route".

Here is one example: I am bored at my job. I am also too lazy to start looking for new interesting job opportunities and learning something new. As I become aware of the fact that I have already wasted a lot of time thinking about it without actually doing it, I switch on a sort of "autopilot" mode in my brain, come up to my boss and tell him in a steady voice "i quit the job cause it bores me to death. sorry for the late notice." then I lay the signed paper on his table. then I return to my desk and after a few minutes my brain resumes to normal conscious mode. At this point I start realized what I have done and start actively looking for a job... and eventually I find a better job and start learning a bunch of new things.

Small example 2: I need to talk to some big authority man but I am afraid to walk into his office and start the conversation. I turn on "autopilot" mode which temporarily disables all fear and timidness, my legs sort of start walking into the office by themselves, my hand yanks the office door open as my legs carry me into the office and right to the desk of this most feared person. As I approach him, my mind returns to its normal state, leaving me one-on-one with the man himself and nothing else left but to start the conversation.

What are your special recipes for boosting will power and overcoming your natural fears and insecurities? Sorry for the bunch of text will possible grammar mistakes..

C0r version: i would have sex with all this white girls:tongue2
infinity HiGH
Do you smoke weed?
Dervish
Believe it or not I do something very very similar lol!!!

More of a "ing get on with it" then yeah a bit of auto pilot.

There is definitely a bit of slagging myself off involved. But after awhile you develop good active habits once you don't get burnt the first few times.
Frenkieee
Weed's not strong enough for this type of gibberish.
Silky Johnson
Develop a more positive internal dialogue and have more self-respect. Works fine for me.
emc^2
quote:
Originally posted by boris_the_bear
Increasing will power (and fighting with its lack) has become a n.1 priority for me at this stage of my life. I sometimes estimate how much I could have achieved (and losses I could have avoided) if I had simply done at least what I had planned for a certain time period (a day, a week, a month etc). Somewhat relevant to Vivid Boy's post on controlling one's life, it really is a great thing and it basically starts from the your ability to stop lying to yourself, doing things you should! do rather than things that simply require less effort. \

Recently, considering my ultra-laziness, I have developed a personal little technique to literally trick myself into getting my ass off the couch and doing something.

What I basically do is set certain circumstances in such way that I am then forced to a certain inevitable behavior which is otherwise impossible to achieve by raw will power. I have learned to distinguish two types of my own will power: type 1 being the easiest power enough to set certain circumstances, and type 2 - the will power that is required to directly achieve the end result (behavior). Obviously, I lack type 2 will power, so I try to utilize type 1 will power to achieve the end result, that is via a longer "route".

Here is one example: I am bored at my job. I am also too lazy to start looking for new interesting job opportunities and learning something new. As I become aware of the fact that I have already wasted a lot of time thinking about it without actually doing it, I switch on a sort of "autopilot" mode in my brain, come up to my boss and tell him in a steady voice "i quit the job cause it bores me to death. sorry for the late notice." then I lay the signed paper on his table. then I return to my desk and after a few minutes my brain resumes to normal conscious mode. At this point I start realized what I have done and start actively looking for a job... and eventually I find a better job and start learning a bunch of new things.

Small example 2: I need to talk to some big authority man but I am afraid to walk into his office and start the conversation. I turn on "autopilot" mode which temporarily disables all fear and timidness, my legs sort of start walking into the office by themselves, my hand yanks the office door open as my legs carry me into the office and right to the desk of this most feared person. As I approach him, my mind returns to its normal state, leaving me one-on-one with the man himself and nothing else left but to start the conversation.

What are your special recipes for boosting will power and overcoming your natural fears and insecurities? Sorry for the bunch of text will possible grammar mistakes..

C0r version: i would have sex with all this white girls:tongue2

Dude, you must be that long-lost twin my parents told me about. I'm just not up to the stage of flinging myself off the building just to realize that I should do something to stop myself from dying (metaphorically speaking).

complacency and procrastination seems to be a genetic trend that's being developed by mass media and pop culture, nowdays. Look at how many distractions we have now:

TV, Internet, Home and Portable video games, computers, etc. It seems no matter where you turn, distractions blast themselves at you faster than a speeding bullet. You have no choice but to stand in awe of this overload and sometimes senses shut down like a deer in headlights. I feel that way quite often. This Saturday I spent better part of the day avoiding work at all costs. When I finally got down to doing work, I found myriad of distractions to drag me off the set path and next thing I know I wasted 2+ hours on activity that had no relation to work at hand.
Your post resonated with me because I find myself in this situation all the time. I guess being in a comfort zone became "being in a safe zone". Especially when it deals with a situation like job. The only issue is - it's easy to walk away from some lousy job that pays minimum wage. Try walking away from a six figure job and it becomes a different ball game - those are not as easy to come by.

Relationships are even harder - deep down I know I need to at least move out but factors not directly related to my feelings are preventing me from doing so, like seeing my kids daily, living in a modestly nice house, not having to blow up my life to pices to get away from strain that I'm dealing with on daily basis, things like that.

To go along the lines of what you said earlier - I'm even thinking that I should start an open affair to force the hand of fate (or my wife) but that would only play to her advantage, as I feel this is EXACTLY what she's doing - making my life just miserable enough to either capitulate, cave in and become a good ol' bible-thumper or take an initiative and get it over with.

C0r version: buttttttth444xxx
tachobg
A good thing for me is to just figure out exactly what I want, and think of specific steps to achieve it. Ill defined goals lead to actions that are unclear and lack purpose. When I'm working, I try to focus intensely on those steps, and not to allow any distractions.

Also along the lines of getting work done, you can take a day or two and log every little thing that you do that takes more than minute. The existence of some sort of hard evidence then makes you more consciously aware of all the time sinks that ruin your efficiency and you can then go and attack specific ones.

I'm mostly paraphrasing a series of articles by steve pavlina on self-discipline http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/20...elf-discipline/
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by boris_the_bear
What are your special recipes for boosting will power and overcoming your natural fears and insecurities?

I always think I'm about to die. Honest!

When I realise what I've just done (or what I'm doing at the time), I think to myself... is this really how I want to spend the last hours of my life? If a kamikaze bird just entered my room and flew right against my head, piercing my brain with its deadly sharp beak (or, if more realistically, I had a sudden heart attack), would I want to have spent the last minutes of my life playing a computer game? Sure, I think my consciousness will no longer be around after my demise, and I'm not even sure whether life is a gift or a twisted joke, but I'd rather do something while I'm at it, given how ephemeral it is. It's just a matter of time anyway.

Therefore, I'm constantly trying to be the person I long to be. It's often a burdensome task, specially when things start to happen the way you didn't want (or even expect) them to happen. But, after one or two mishaps, you start to realise that it's not the events, but what you make of them, that matter.

Rather than having a "method" or a "trick", I'd say I've got more of a mindset.

So far, it's been working fine: I've got the job I wanted, I was able to lead my love life the way I've always idealised, and I'm pretty satisfied with my social life as well. Not bad, I guess.
dj_alfi
this thread needs more boobies

Jake Benson
I get motivated to do more things because I get kicked off internet chat sites and there's nothing left for me to do on the computer.

samochod
I don't think I can be much help because I was too lazy to read your long post. :o
daphunky1
Haha, I haven't been kicked out of an internet chat room since I first few months I had the internet at home. That was 10 years ago.

About motivating myself...well for right now all I really do is snowboard, work, and then chill-out/party on the in between time. I never hafta find motivation to snowboard because I'm doing something I love, and always want to do it. And I get the motivation to go to work (a low paying restaurant job) because it covers my costs to live in a town where I can snowboard everyday. And the chill-out/party keeps me sane. Its a pretty simple life really. My plans are so short term that I need not find that motivation often needed to produce life change, but this topic does remind me to think about what I want in life.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement