return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
any tips for making warm sounding pads please ?
View this Thread in Original format
djandymac
as the title says, any tips would be greatful :)
cryophonik
It's all in the filtering IMO. Use a synth with a high quality filter with a relatively steep slope. Start with a thick (i.e., detuned) saw and/or square wave-based pad and dial the cutoff down until you start getting that warmth that you're seeking. Try adding some key envelope to open the filter a bit (controlled by velocity, aftertouch, etc.). A little resonance can help, but too much can make it abrasive. A touch of LFO modulating the cutoff and/or resonance can add a little life to the pad.

A sample of what you're looking for would be helpful. Also, try going through the presets of your synths until you find a pad that has the warmth you're looking for and study it, particularly the oscillators used and the filter settings/modulation.

BTW, which synths are you using for your pads?
evo8
Try some PWM on the oscillators, maybe some chorus as well
Stephen Wiley
REVERB!!!!!!!!

...and listen to cryophonik.

I personally look to the lower frequencies for pad warmth. Obviously tons of variables, but a boost in the bass can help get rid of that weak, hollow sound. Some will argue it's not needed and will cause clutter, but in the end if you're doing all the things cryophonik said you're still likely going to get more sound in the lower frequencies.

As another poster suggested, Chorus obviously helps. If you've got some sort of a stereo knob turn that up as well. Layering can help. It really depends on the sound. Like cryo said, a sample would help.
hasbone
Definately chorus, especially the sweet flangy stuff, like TAL-Chorus.
djandymac
cheers for the feedback guys, if any of you have nexus, the airwave trance pad 2 preset is the sort of pad im aiming for but i dont want to use it as ive used it quite a lot lately. cheers again for the advice :)
evo8
quote:
Originally posted by hasbone
Definately chorus, especially the sweet flangy stuff, like TAL-Chorus.

The TAL stuff is deadly :D
owien
two things here 1st learn some music theory 2nd layering.

The reason I say learn some music theory first because once you understand a bit more about chord structures,harmonics and that.
your ears become tuned in to the idea of what you want. This is when layering comes into play.

practice having a strike note first let us say c stretch it over 1 bar then load up some other vst/synths and then think about adding more notes untill things start to fill out dont use all the best sounds or filters and fx least not at first.

once you have some kind of structure then add some effects and take it from there :D :D
pwnage1
Distortion
DJ Robby Rox
I HATE to say this lol but..

One day I tried remixing Rank 1s - Airwave.
What I did was a joke at first but wound up sounding amazing (Ill submit if anyone asks)

I literally layered 14 different pads from 11 different synths and 3 different soundfonts. Did all sorts of slight gating, overtones and what not. Its one of the thickest lushes pads I ever made.

All I did was literally layer a crapload of pads and try to stablize them together so it sounded like a single sound, but its one of the warmest, lushest pads I ever made before.

So Id recommend LAYER LAYER LAYER.

And personally, hypersonic is ing GREAT for pads. The one synth/rompler I turn to almost everytime for pads cause everything else sounds thin to me, plus hyper makes it so easy to layer sounds.

But just for pads cause hypers lead and bass arent completely up to par imo. Pads are exquisite however.

Waza
yes when i'm making a nice warmth sounding pad i tend to layer around 5 to 7 different sounds.

But be carefull do not pick the ones that in one preset sounds amazing and dont go for all the best presets as it will just sound too muddy. I tend to take less effective sounds to layer and maybe just one preset that stands out. and set them all at different volumes to suit.

Then what i usually do it listen to each sound on its own find out what i like about it and then i tend to cut the frequencies where i think will make space for the other sounds. but at the same time listening to them all so i don't cut too much warmth out of the sound.

use reverb and even a little bit of delay.
cybernetica
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Robby Rox
I literally layered 14 different pads from 11 different synths and 3 different soundfonts. Did all sorts of slight gating, overtones and what not. Its one of the thickest lushes pads I ever made.

All I did was literally layer a crapload of pads and try to stablize them together so it sounded like a single sound, but its one of the warmest, lushest pads I ever made before.

So Id recommend LAYER LAYER LAYER.

Layering pads is fun, you can indeed get the most massive sounds out of this. One of the disadvantages is that it usually uses a lot of CPU load, or you have to render everything to wav.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement