return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Swapping Logic Boards in Mac G5
View this Thread in Original format
Zombie14
Hi guys,

My main audio production G5 took a hit last week... Left the house for 10 minutes with the thing on, then came back and there was a chemical smell in my entire house and the system wouldn't power on, no flashing lights or anything.

Brought it down to the local repair shop since the applecare warranty expired about 1 year ago, and they said it could be either the power supply or the logic board..

So they went ahead, replaced the power supply, still doesn't power on whatsoever, so next step is the logic board.

The logic board in the machine is a 1.35mhz fsb logic board from a 64bit Mac G5 Dual core 2.7 from 2005.

I have my younger brothers G5 in my possession now, and i believe it's from the same time frame, 2005, and it has a logic board which is 1.25mhz FSB for a dual core 2.5 machine.

I was on the phone with people from apple, and they said these boards are fairly universal and that if i swap the 1.25mhz FSB logic board for the faulty 1.35, then it should work. I was just wondering if this is true? The phone rep seemed a tad unsure about the entire situation.

Thanks for any help.
palm
wouldnt that take your brothers computer out of action?
DJ RANN
It really depends on what build the logic boards are. Some are indeed swappable but honestly, a g5 1.2ghz isn't going to be great for music proudcion and go for dirt cheap at any second hand computer store so it really might not be worth your time. , you can even buy a mac mini for $500 now or less second hand that will easily outperform it.
Zombie14
thanks for the replies so far guys...

apparently there's some corrosion all over the place inside of my current g5, and yes taking the logic board out of my brothers g5 would've rendered his unusable, however, it would've at least proven that it was a logic board problem in the broken one so i could have went ahead and ordered another one..

But i was advised not to do this, as in the current state of the computer, putting any logic board in there could immediately fry the thing...

it man, looks like i'm gonna have to grab one of those new xeon nehalem quad core mac pro's after beating around the bush 400$ for labor and a new power supply from a crap 3rd party mac store :(

cant wait to spend weeks of my time to re-install all the audio plugins / logic over again
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by TylerM
thanks for the replies so far guys...

apparently there's some corrosion all over the place inside of my current g5, and yes taking the logic board out of my brothers g5 would've rendered his unusable, however, it would've at least proven that it was a logic board problem in the broken one so i could have went ahead and ordered another one..

But i was advised not to do this, as in the current state of the computer, putting any logic board in there could immediately fry the thing...

it man, looks like i'm gonna have to grab one of those new xeon nehalem quad core mac pro's after beating around the bush 400$ for labor and a new power supply from a crap 3rd party mac store :(

cant wait to spend weeks of my time to re-install all the audio plugins / logic over again

Sorry to hear that but at least you're not doing it on a pc and have to around with windows for a day or two before getting to install your audio apps. It's so easy with the new macs, it'll all happen quicker than you think.... :)
palm
quote:
Originally posted by TylerM

timemachine?
Zombie14
quote:
Originally posted by palm
timemachine?

unfortunately i don't have a bulk load of quaalude's on-hand, but thanks for the recommendation :)
thesuperfunk
Have you tried swapping the RAM to see if it's that at fault?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement