return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

TC Powercore Express Pci card
View this Thread in Original format
Waza
Hi all,

has anyone had one of these and are they any good.

i'm thinking of getting one with the virus plugin and was wondering if anyone has had them and did they like it. It will be second hand.

I do not own a virus and thought this could be a stand in for the hardware module.

also is it worth it going to dsp.

i have a quad core system so i've not had any cpu problems yet!!

i could get a virus b second hand for on ebay for around £450 and the powercore is £100 cheaper and was wondering what one to go for.

any help guys. :)

waza
Stef
You know i was also really thinking of getting one of these, curious to hear what other people have to say.
Waza
i know cause you still get a virus but also a dsp. Will the virus be as good as hardware?
Stef
Im actually interested in the fact that you are able to import other patches from other virus models, maybe someone can clarify on this?
alanzo
quote:
Originally posted by Stef
Im actually interested in the fact that you are able to import other patches from other virus models, maybe someone can clarify on this?

Every virus can do that.

The core engine of the Virus|Powercore sounds exactly the same as a Virus A or B. The difference is that the signal won't be converted by the DACs on the unit and won't be as "hot" -- meaning not as loud.

I'd rather have a B than the Powercore ... actually, I'd rather have neither. But the nice thing about the Powercore Virus is that all you need is the card and the plugin whereas with an actual Virus B, you need the synth, the cables, an audio interface with two to six inputs, a MIDI input, and a DAW capable of direct monitoring and compensating for audio-chain latency.

Why not just get a copy of Waldorf Largo? It looks pretty damn awesome and will help you to not sound like everyone else. :p
spolitta
quote:
Originally posted by alanzo

Why not just get a copy of Waldorf Largo? It looks pretty damn awesome and will help you to not sound like everyone else. :p

well, they can just use your presets for the virus and get that instantly uniqueness in their tracks ;)
Waza
have you tried using the Largo, i don't like the interface i've got the demo and i'm not keen on it.
alanzo
quote:
Originally posted by spolitta
well, they can just use your presets for the virus and get that instantly uniqueness in their tracks ;)

Kinda, not really, though.

Presets on the TI can only be used with a TI. But the TI can read presets from any Virus' that came before.
DigiNut
I think TC finally released drivers for Vista... 32 bit. You're still SOL if you run 64-bit. And if you plan on upgrading to Windows 7, well, good luck.

The PowerCore is decent kit but TC is HORRIBLE with their drivers. That and various odd glitches that are hard to describe in a short post compel me to say... don't bother. If you want DSP, get a UAD, and if you want a Virus, then get a Virus.
dannib
I own the virus powercore. Its still very buggy for me (has been for years ). It is maybe worth buying if you already own a Powercore DSP card. I bought my powercore specifically for the system 6000 stuff (VSS3 and MD3 mainly)

You can get a virus b cheaper than £450. I see them go all the time for £300-£350

Better yet, get a second hand nord rack 2. Much much better IMO!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement