return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
The biggest problem with having too much stuff...
View this Thread in Original format
cryophonik
...I installed Windows 7 (dual-boot with Vista Ultimate) last week and have spent every evening since then reinstalling all my apps, downloading updates, troubleshooting, configuring, etc. For the most part it's gone very smoothly and I really like W7 much better than Vista or XP, but I'm so ready to be done with this and start making music again. The funny thing is, I did a clean install of W7 on my wife's laptop, including all of her apps and reconfiguring her peripherals and various user accounts in one weekend morning while I watched football.

Anybody else going through the W7 upgrade? Or, am I the only producer left on the planet who's NOT using a Mac? :p
Eric J
I've installed W7 on several physical and virtual machines at work. Overall, I'm really impressed with W7 in general. It is everything that Vista was promised to be. Fast, stable, easy to use.

As for production, obviously I'm Mac, but I experienced a similar situation when upgrading from OS X 10.4 (Tiger) to OS 10.5 (Leopard). It must have taken me most of a weekend to get everything installed, updated, setup properly.

Fortunately for me, I called Apple before doing the upgrade and ended up talking to a guy on the Logic Pro development team. He provided me with step-by-step guidelines for reinstalling everything without losing any preferences or settings, so it made the process a lot quicker than it might have otherwise been.
RichieV
osx is really handy for that. You don't have that registry nightmare and it is really just as simple as dragging files to your new installation.
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by Eric J

Fortunately for me, I called Apple before doing the upgrade and ended up talking to a guy on the Logic Pro development team. He provided me with step-by-step guidelines for reinstalling everything without losing any preferences or settings, so it made the process a lot quicker than it might have otherwise been.

Nice! Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a way to migrate preferences/settings from one Windows OS to another when setting up a dual-boot system (i.e., not installing over the old OS), is there? If so, that would be nice to know because I currently have Windows 7 32-bit on one HD and Vista 32-bit on another HD as my "backup". Then, I plan on replacing the Vista partition with 64-bit W7 later on (once I'm sure that all my apps/drivers will work). It would be nice if I could migrate my 32-bit W7 settings over once I'm ready to install 64-bit W7 (probably not until next year).
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by RichieV
osx is really handy for that. You don't have that registry nightmare and it is really just as simple as dragging files to your new installation.

Hopefully Bill Gates steals that idea as well someday. ;)
Eric J
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
Nice! Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a way to migrate preferences/settings from one Windows OS to another when setting up a dual-boot system (i.e., not installing over the old OS), is there? If so, that would be nice to know because I currently have Windows 7 32-bit on one HD and Vista 32-bit on another HD as my "backup". Then, I plan on replacing the Vista partition with 64-bit W7 later on (once I'm sure that all my apps/drivers will work). It would be nice if I could migrate my 32-bit W7 settings over once I'm ready to install 64-bit W7 (probably not until next year).

Not that I am aware of, I mean basically RichieV is correct with this statement:

quote:
Originally posted by RichieV

That is the disadvantage of Windows is that you generally cant just move things around without causing major problems. OSX is not totally immune to this, but most software is fairly self contained. No matter how you feel about their products, Apple definitely wins on customer service, for me anyway.
RichieV
ya i remember the stress I used to feel when my pc broke down. My mood would literally match the health of my computer. My day job involves orchestrating mockups for live orchestras and it is really liberating to only have to use a pencil and some paper ( well the digital version Finale to be fair ) But still one program and thats it.
tehlord
Poor you :rolleyes:

Just give me some of your stuff and we'll both be happy :D
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
Poor you :rolleyes:

Just give me some of your stuff and we'll both be happy :D

I'm actually selling off all of my individual NI synths at a very good price. because I just bought Komplete 5/6, which will give me the same synths and then some! :D
tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
I'm actually selling off all of my individual NI synths at a very good price. because I just bought Komplete 5/6, which will give me the same synths and then some! :D

I know, I saw the KVR thread.

Alas NI and me don't get on, although I do use Battery all the time.

The other side of Christams and I might give Massive a second try though.........

palm
get a mac and Reason and you wont ever have to think about problems again. ahhh its good to be back :D
tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by palm
get a mac and Reason and you wont ever have to think about music again. ahhh its good to be back :D

Word
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement