return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Sports Discussion

World Cup Draw 2010
View this Thread in Original format
Simon_N
Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

Group C: ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia Ghana

Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Good group for us except it looks like we'll get Germany in the semi-finals (Assuming we get there).
Scottaculous
I'm happy to see there is no group stacked with the top teams.
FallingMoon
lmfao @ Brazil! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I hope they get stomped on!

Germany isn't so bad, although the Aussies are pretty good. I still think they'll make it through :)

Gotta love the WC 2010! :D
chesco
quote:
Originally posted by Scottaculous
I'm happy to see there is no group stacked with the top teams.

That's because of the seeding system in place for tournaments like these.

While it does mean most of the big nations ultimately qualify for the second stage, it also means the smaller countries have pretty much no chance of qualifying.

Think the draw for italy is a decent one altho, i'm wary of paraguay, think they are a solid side. If we can't get thru that group then i'd be surprised.

Also good draw for engerlund.. I've always liked capello so will be hoping he does well..
noikeee
We were ed in the draw, have to face Brazil and Ivory Coast, then most likely Spain in the round of 16 if we don't manage to win the group (unlikely as I expect Brazil to beat us)...
sensorium
Ok, guys, this is just in: According to FIFA, every team facing France will be allowed to use players from the Irish team if needed. Yes, Ireland will be in the WC.
Dj_Day-V
quote:
Originally posted by sensorium
Ok, guys, this is just in: According to FIFA, every team facing France will be allowed to use players from the Irish team if needed. Yes, Ireland will be in the WC.

If you need Irish players to win you're not even good enough to be in the WC :stongue:
denys envy
2nd rounders in bold.

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_N
Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

Group C: England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile
treeboo
GROUP A
France
Mexico
I think France is the class of this group. Mexico tops Uruguay's penchant for close games to advance. I like the hosts but I see only 3 points max for them in this group.

GROUP B
Argentina
Korea Republic
Weird group here. Even though Argentina's qualifying run was pretty rocky, I think they still pull through with the Koreans who will use their speed to pass the young Nigerians and streaky Greekies.

GROUP C
England
United States
Safe pick for this group. US has been inconsistent on the big stage and so have their English counterparts, but I think whitey wins what will likely be a scrappy group.

GROUP D
Germany
Ghana

I see the Germans and Ghana advancing through this round. The Germans are still a world class force and could easily sweep the group. The Black Stars use the experience they gained in 06 to form a significant contender to the Group C winner.

GROUP E
Netherlands
Denmark

The Oranje are the easy pick here, but the battle for second place should be fun to watch. I struggled with it, and went with Denmark since they had such a successful qualifying run.

GROUP F
Italy
Paraguay

This group seems to be all Italy, but I expect Parguay to contend for group winner status as well. Both teams should dominate what appears to be an otherwise weak group.

GROUP G
Brazil
Côte d'Ivoire

I've chosen Brazil and the Ivory Coast to advance from this group. Portugal's qualification run was rather listless and I expect them to have trouble with the goal happy South Americans and Africans

GROUP H
Spain
Chile

I expect Chile to surprise some by winning this group. The Swiss will put up a fight, but it is Spain who will advance. Neither will enjoy their opponent in the round of 16.

Im pretty clueless, so i expect to miss on several of these.
Ian
to steal from one of the tiest tabloids here

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

overall, spain vs england somewhere down the line and we're beaten by the best in the world. This is as long as fifa don't approve the french plan to throw the ball in if they wish to.

Schadenfreude
don't count out nigeria.

;)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement