return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Is there a way for non touring musicians to make money from their music?
View this Thread in Original format
mathieu
So, I'm wondering, can musicians/producers make any money from their music apart from performing or djing? I know some might say licensing for tv or ads and stuff like that. But lets say you make cheesy melodic prog house like me lol, its pretty unlikely itll get licensed. So, is there any way or am i (and some other people) just doomed to never make anything out of all our efforts?

Btw: if you want to see what i mean by cheesy melodic prog house you can check my most recent wip :

Mathieu Tilli - Time Of My Life (Original Mix) by Mathieu Tilli
skyhunter
Making your music donation ware? Nine Inch Nails did that, it was their most successful album ever. Not that I've done it myself, but I would like to once my music is at a level I like.

How about you build up a portfolio? I bet there are a lot of indie videogame developers looking for music like this. The song you posted actually reminds me of Minecraft, go figure.

Kev Willow makes some money by making tutorials for his music! Again with the donation thing, just think creatively!

Advertisements on Youtube if you get partnered can help pay some bills, I have a friend who makes some money off youtube every month, 500 dollars sometimes. It's not much but it's some.

You sound like you are at least pretty good with synthesis, I bet you could make intros for youtubers and podcasts.

The list is endless really. Just take everything I say with a grain of salt because I haven't done any of it personally.

Good luck, love the song!
Prototrance
quote:
Originally posted by mathieu
So, I'm wondering, can musicians/producers make any money from their music apart from performing or djing?

Sure, I made 1 euro 37 cents off royalties last year. It made all my tireless hours in the studio and the 13 years of learning before being released worth it. I bought a quarter of a pint of finest english ale with it at my local.
Subtle
quote:
Originally posted by Prototrance
Sure, I made 1 euro 37 cents off royalties last year. It made all my tireless hours in the studio and the 13 years of learning before being released worth it. I bought a quarter of a pint of finest english ale with it at my local.
:)
derail
quote:
Originally posted by Prototrance

Gee I hate it when the ultra successful producers gloat about their fame and fortune...
skyhunter
quote:
Originally posted by derail
Gee I hate it when the ultra successful producers gloat about their fame and fortune...

:haha:
Lolo
most of us don't get enough money off their record sales because those (sales) are simply terrible.

Let's face it, if you think that anyone is going to notice you among piles, and piles, and other piles of records out every single week, if you just have the record being released, well you better change this attitude ASAP.

If your sales are terrible, go blame yourself first and stop bitching about those getting more attention, gigs, whatever.

And let's not blame people for not knowing what is good. Our scene has always been impersonal, generic and somehow seriously "high". People don't care about the name, it's just music they can dance to and that might get forgotten the day after. The one-trick pony stars of today will be the forgotten ones tomorrow.

If you don't grow up, re-invent yourself, re-invent the things around constantly, you won't go very far in music, not even in life.

You see guys, this is exactly what took me 15 years to understand. Not to mention the past mistakes, blaming everyone and everything but myself for not going where I wanted to go. I've known both sides, the good days, and the hard days.
Dj_Kile
quote:
Originally posted by Lolo
You see guys, this is exactly what took me 15 years to understand. Not to mention the past mistakes, blaming everyone and everything but myself for not going where I wanted to go. I've known both sides, the good days, and the hard days.

Facebook Like.

One should realize that to be able to recover and succeed eventually.
I had my fair share too of blaming others and everyone but me, I come to realize that at one point and never looked back again.
mathieu
great thread so far, the lulz is provided :stongue: and also some great advice!
Lolo
what's missing in the above track mathieu is a little bit more work on sounds and a pad or two, and you got a great track that I'd eventually play.

And would it sell a lot? I don't know, it all depends on how you will push it yourself. Don't expect a label to make it for you unfortunately.

mathieu
quote:
most of us don't get enough money off their record sales because those are simply terrible.

Let's face it, if you think that anyone is going to notice you among piles, and piles, and other piles of records out every single week, if you just have the record being released, well you better change this attitude ASAP.

If your sales are terrible, go blame yourself first and stop bitching about those getting more attention, gigs, whatever.

And let's not blame people for not knowing what is good. Our scene has always been impersonal, generic and somehow seriously "high". People don't care about the name, it's just music they can dance to and that might get forgotten the day after. The one-trick pony stars of today will be the forgotten ones tomorrow.

If you don't grow up, re-invent yourself, re-invent the things around constantly, you won't go very far in music, not even in life.

I agree, I've been thinking about this lately, to have others listen you really need to make use of everything thats provided on the internet, blogs, youtube channels and so on, and i know you werent talking abot me specifically but me, ive given up on the idea of making money with releases, i think im gonna give my stuff free or maybe donation ware.

What do you mean by re inventing yourself? are you talking image or music? or both perhaps.

btw not blaming anyone but yourself is great advice, not just for music, in life in general. its always what my mother told me :p
mathieu
quote:
what's missing in the above track mathieu is a little bit more work on sounds and a pad or two, and you got a great track that I'd eventually play.

And would it sell a lot? I don't know, it all depends on how you will push it yourself. Don't expect a label to make it for you unfortunately.

Awesome! thanks for the advice, will definitely do. as i stated in the other post ill be prob giving it for free and push it with blogs and youtube channels and dj's and stuff like that.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement