return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Computer noise
View this Thread in Original format
Zombie0729
are the only things that cause all the noise in computers the fans? mine is getting insanely loud, i've cleaned out the fans & the heat sink area and it's still just way too loud for my tiny room. The computer is old and i'm pushing it fairly hard but the droning noise is becoming a huge nuisance. Anyone replaced fans w/ something quieter and had success?
aquila
CPU and case fans are the most common sources of noise, but hard disks are also a common culprit.

Depending on the age of your computer, you may still be able to get a more efficient and quieter cooler for your cpu. A new case with silent fans and dampened HDD bays would also help.
clay
get an imac or mbp.
kevin shawn
I suggest a new case with a new set of fans. A buddy of mine used to have his G5 in a closet and had extensions for his cables running to his desk...possibly an option if you have a small closet?

Those little stock pc fans give out after a while but they're super cheap to replace although depending on your case config might be a pain to replace. i have one in front of mine that makes some noise and from the looks of it I have to take out all my hard drives to get to it. I just whack it with my foot and it shuts up :p
Terrence Parker
I have one of these cpu coolers: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produkte&lng=en
I barely notice the fan at all, the max noise is about 19 db(A)
JeeDSounds
Video card fan can make alot of noise, my old Geforce 8800 GT was making so much noise.. i had to close it for sleeping. At this moment i use Geforce 9600 GT and it don't make any noise at all.. maybe that can help you too... ( My video card isn't SUPER good but.. it's ok for the games i play at this moment :P )But when i don't play game i don't hear my PC at all .. no jokes! it's super quiet in the room!:D
Wega52
quote:
Originally posted by clay
get an imac or mbp.

Yeah because they dont use fans at all... :rolleyes:

DJ: Your computer generates heat, and that heat needs to be moved away to keep your chips cool. The only way around using fans, is to use water to transport the heat away insted of the fans. A passive watercooling setup is the solution. It's big, it's expensive and it requires maintaining, but it can also be very close to completely silent.
tehlord
The bearings on fans can become noisy as they age.

It's cheap (a few quid/dollars) to buy new ones, and you can buy quiter ones that you already have as well.

The usual culprit for noise is the GPU fan however, unless you've installed a passive one.
clay
quote:
Originally posted by Wega52
Yeah because they dont use fans at all... :rolleyes:

ive never heard mine if i play music.
Zombie0729
quote:
Originally posted by clay
get an imac or mbp.

my mbp get's loud if i really push it (2009 unibody). i'll try replacing the fans w/ some $10-$20 quiet ones and see if that does the job, thx guys!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement