return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Listen, or simply create?
View this Thread in Original format
sicc
I realize that most everything that is created is in someways a response, or obviously influenced by a multitude of many different tracks, spanning many genres and styles. Also I realize, to each his own. But, my questions is, that as you are in a groove of production, or in the process of writing a melody or the first essential parts of a new track, do you tend to listen to a lot of music around these times, or do you just predominantly produce, and not listen to any music really? For example, I asked my friend what he has been listening to lately and he said "nothing really, just producing." His explanation was that he did not want to "taint" his music, (with some apparent sarcasm, that is). I find it hard to produce new tracks when I've been doing a lot of listening and keeping up with whats going on in the genres I listen to. what do you guys think/do?
AirPole
I can really agree with the remark your friend made about being afraid of tainting your own music. On the other hand though, sometimes the only way of gaining some inspiration for me, is also listening to other music. And also for A/B'ing purposes. Just do what you want! :)
meriter
I only make music after spending 18 hours in an isolation tank.
Tasty Onions
I'm kind of the opposite. Usually I'll be trying to figure out how some sound from a favorite track is made, or even just playing with a sample of it, and then go off on a tangent that inspires me to make something quite different of my own.
sicc
quote:
Originally posted by CalvP
This will certainly be down to individual preference, but for me, i like to have a distinctive separation between writing & listening/buying.

A clear mind is essential, if i have hooks from other records swimming around in mind, i can't concentrate properly & subconsciously end up trying to recreate something similar:o

I tend to write & then go on listening binges for a few days/weeks before going back to writing; it works for me:)

Indeed, I find myself subconsciously trying to recreate certain elements of tracks I have heard too. I dont like it! Its hard for me to not listen to music though, and just produce. but ill give it a shot because my way has not been working so well.
BritishLizard
Just make what you feel. You will gravitate towards what you listen to at first but you find your sound eventually. It is almost impossible to create an original "riff" because there has been so many before you. It is what you do with it is what will set you apart.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement