return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

a production challenge/idea
View this Thread in Original format
pozz
everyone is familiar with build-ups and breakdowns. and, these days, some tracks are all up down up breakdown up down etc.

so, why not produce a track that's all build-up, from start to finish? hold back on the drops, and you could get a really interesting track going.

im thinking standard length, 7-9min.

it's worthwhile as a constraint because it forces you to improvise within a really simple idea/structure: the goddamn build up. (came up with this listening to the radio music at work.)
Beatflux
How about a track that peaks right when it starts and then just glides downward for 8 minutes.
pozz
perfect. i would wanna hear one of those too
MSZ
so where is your example pozz?
J.L.
pointPi
Aside, from that not the entire song is a buildup, but close, this song could be a kinda good candidate.

pozz
i don't have an example in mind. but, lemme look around the archive.
pozz
still, the original idea was that i don't want to list examples, i want to see if trying to produce a track in this way will change the overall sound. it would be especially interesting trying to produce trance or progressive house (whatever may be your usual genre) in this way, without reference to examples.

@ CalvP: you could, but it's been done in ambient music (in drones, really) loads of times. i want to see if it can be done in dance music because all you have to do is take something many producers are used to doing, building up & then breaking down, and extending that. of course, you can do anything you like -- trap within edm particularly is that once you have an example you will follow suit (aka copy). maybe trying to execute such a simple idea will break free of that trend.
PlasticSoul
I remember a prog house track gareth emery played in one of his podcast, years ago. It had a big pitch rise for some minutes... I cant remember the name...
Vernon Wanderer
I have tried this before, however the idea steered me elswhere and the track turned out like a low budget version of dundovs distant shores for the first 10 minutes, only to disintegrate, drop the bpm and restart the buildup in an ambient form. spooky, psychotic sounding, but track though.

I'll attempt it again and post the results here. fick yeah. :D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement