return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

How do You Avoid Boredom in the Studio and Maximize Productivity?
View this Thread in Original format
skyhunter
Hey guys!

I have problems keeping my interest in the studio. After listening to a section of my track for awhile it sounds bland and boring, so I often end up thinking it's crap just from overexposure. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to make your tracks less boring (not to the listener mind you, to yourself while producing)?

Cheers!
Beatflux
I think trying to listen to your work as little as possible helps quite a bit. I think the worst thing I do is leave the section or song on repeat while I figure out what to do next. Boredom sets in and I convince myself that the bit is no good and that I fooled myself. LOL
Energy_3
I would say that this is a huge problem for a lot of people, i think that creativity itself in fundamentally flawed with the idea of becoming better than what it already is, or that man is flawed innately. What you think is correct may not be for someone else and vice versa. If you at a first instance perceive it to be somewhat good, then go with that. It's hard i suffer from this problem, in search of perfection.

Trouble with mankind it's not to often they maintain the same level of appreciation toward something which they did the day before
meriter
there's some good stuff in these two threads

http://tranceaddict.com/forums/show...8&forumid=48&s=

http://tranceaddict.com/forums/show...3&forumid=48&s=
stewart.m
quote:
Originally posted by skyhunter
Hey guys!

I have problems keeping my interest in the studio. After listening to a section of my track for awhile it sounds bland and boring, so I often end up thinking it's crap just from overexposure. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to make your tracks less boring (not to the listener mind you, to yourself while producing)?

Cheers!
yep i get it a lot you become accustom to the environment you're in and switch of for me its watching a good film gets the juices going.
DJMiakoda
Actually, I come here to TA, or other music forums and start reading threads when I get in a rut, this seems to inspire me to push on.
cryophonik
I switch to a different song, or start something new, and come back to that song later. I typically have 4-8 WIPs at any given time. Then again, I do have musical ADD.
Vector A
I take a few hits of acid and the boredom melts right away.
stewart.m
quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
I take a few hits of acid and the boredom melts right away.
i reckon he has done that already and kept quiet about it:haha:
stewart.m
lol before derail thread

cl0ckw3rk
There's nothing wrong with letting the track sit there a while. It's better than listening to it on repeat for hours on end and getting sick of it. Instead, leave it for a while and come back later. If you still can't start arranging it out and make good progress in a short amount of time, then let it sit a little longer. If you find that you never seem to be able to do anything with it no matter how many times you revisit, then save the clips in your library somewhere, scrap the project, and move on. Maybe you can salvage a piece in a future project.

Just keep moving, and don't dwell on one project! The longer you sit not making any progress, the faster you lose interest in not only that project but in music-making in general.

If after so many projects you find you're not finishing any, then I have this suggestion for you:

Temporarily forget everything you know about genres, musical styles, etc. Start a new project, and make a drum loop in 5 minutes. Then a bassline. Then a simple melody. It doesn't matter what, your aim here is speed and "stream of consciousness" (similar to what writers do). You don't care about brilliant, original sounds here, you only care about finishing this, whatever it may turn out to be. After writing all the parts (ideally within half an hour to an hour), start the arrangement. You don't care about originality right now. Pick a common song structure. Let's say "Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Outro." Now arrange it out, and include only the simplest transitions between each section. Add/delete sections as necessary to create a basic song flow. Throw in all the parts you just made...don't worry about FX or plugins or this trick and that technique...you only care about the composition. Once you finish that, then lean back and take a listen to what you just made. Is it terrible? Is it pretty cool? It doesn't matter, because you just finished something! Congratulations!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement