return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Pursuing your dreams/goals and achieving them.
View this Thread in Original format
Silky Johnson
What is it, do you think, that separates those that get what they want from those that don't? Is it simply hard work and focus? Attitude? Charisma? A combination of all three? If all three, what do you think is the most important factor.

I really think it comes down to hard work and the right attitude, and I think that those who don't get what they want really just don't work hard enough - or maybe just aren't that serious about achieving their goals. I think many people believe they are doing enough to achieve their goals, but in reality probably aren't, and generally seem to have a bad attitude. I find that people who get what they want are very empowered, action oriented people who take responsibility for their choices and aspirations. That is, they don't just sit around and expect to happen just because they have high hopes or feel that the world owes them something.

What say you, C0R?
Halcyon+On+On
A strong sense of intuitive reasoning.
Silky Johnson
No Hal, that's pretty much the exact opposite of what I just said.
Halcyon+On+On
I wrote a song some time ago about how you don't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find that you get what you need.
OrangestO
Patience. Passion. Persistence.

Back when I was a natural up in life, I had neither of these qualities. One day I woke up and the light bulb went off in my head. While trying to fix my ups, create stability in my life and become a better man in the end, these three qualities have been right there with me. Sounds cliche, but the difference between who I once was and who I am today is a testament to that fact.
Silky Johnson
quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
I wrote a song some time ago about how you don't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find that you get what you need.

Oh , you wrote that song??
ziptnf
A lot of people set a certain level of expectations with themselves. I recently spoke with a girl who said that she doesn't like responsibility and she wouldn't take a promotion if it was offered to her. She works in the IT field and she's darn good at it, but she has some sort of desire to quit her job so she can sit around her apartment and play video games, write stories and sell artwork. I'm totally fine with that, but it seems like a very fast way to lose money. Her dreams and goals aren't related to any sense of professional work, more a dream of just barely getting by with her creativity. Her attitude isn't what it should be if she wants to be successful in a business sense. It's all attitude and hard work in my opinion, and charisma definitely helps. I think it's a combo of all three.
Silky Johnson
Well I just think of my friend, for example, who has never really gotten anything she wanted - because she's disorganized, unfocused, and blames everyone else for her problems when things go wrong. Yes, she IS a very smart girl, with charisma - but she thinks that just because of that, she deserves certain things. And she is genuinely shocked when she doesn't get them.
ziptnf
Yeah, like I said in my last post, expectations vary among people. This girl sounds like she expects to be successful without working hard, and her attitude reflects that. Can you give me an example of what exactly she expects? For instance, is she thinking she deserves a promotion just for being her?
Silky Johnson
Oh yeah - well when we graduated she expected to graduate with honours - just because she's smart; however, she didn't put the effort in and didn't get the grades to achieve honours. She truly was shocked at how the school could have "made a mistake" and was convinced she had the marks for honours. She ing didn't!

Then, when we got jobs (at the same time, same hospital) she expected that she would get placed on the cardiac unit, just because she was thinking about signing up for coronary care courses and advanced cardiac life support - because she claims she's passionate about cardiac/high acuity nursing. However she had no clinical experience in that area, and didn't consolidate at the end of school in a medical setting, let alone a cardiac floor. I told her not to expect anything from them, especially considering her experience (they had 20 positions available across the hospital, and I figured they would place us according to our clinical experience - we got to pick our top 3 areas) - yet she really believed they would see something special in her. And yeah, they didn't. Edit: and yeah she kept saying that the HR people "must have made a mistake" and switched her up with someone else. Lol.

Spacey Orange
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pie
What is it, do you think, that separates those that get what they want from those that don't? Is it simply hard work and focus? Attitude? Charisma? A combination of all three? If all three, what do you think is the most important factor.

I really think it comes down to hard work and the right attitude, and I think that those who don't get what they want really just don't work hard enough - or maybe just aren't that serious about achieving their goals. I think many people believe they are doing enough to achieve their goals, but in reality probably aren't, and generally seem to have a bad attitude. I find that people who get what they want are very empowered, action oriented people who take responsibility for their choices and aspirations. That is, they don't just sit around and expect to happen just because they have high hopes or feel that the world owes them something.

What say you, C0R?

Will you come and speak at my high school?
Silky Johnson
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Privacy Statement