return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

playing live
View this Thread in Original format
madmuso
Hey guys,

I come from a band background where you pretty much play the songs live as they would be on your recorded ep, album, etc. Of course there are always some little changes to suit playing live but overall the songs remain the same as the recording.

What happens in the EDM world? For example, if an artist is asked to play at a venue/event for an hour does he/she:

Play their own material only? Do they usually modify their songs to suit a live setting? Would they usually go with a setup that allows them to arrange, build up/ build down the song as they feel it?

Im guessing that they dont just get up there put their cd in and hit play and sit back for an hour!

Im trying to understand what is expected, or what is the norm, when a trance artist is performing live.

thanks,
sicc
My friend (Audio Ruso) mostly produces drum and bass, he has very unique music and he preforms live sets semi-regularly. He has his whole set up built into a portable rig, when he plays a set, he brings his set up consistent of his computer, monitor (computer screen), his various midi controllers and lots of cables. He has his tracks pulled up in ableton and he basically just jams out in session view, (vertical production line), and improvises which parts of the tracks he will play and he totally jams out on gnarly effects as he sees fit, just letting loose. he will have 5 or so of his tracks pulled up in ableton while he is playing so he can get very creative with what he is playing. He has some very advanced macro's and his own programs he wrote going on in ableton while jamming out a set, which enables him to basically create all new tracks while playing. Its a fine line, between him just playing finished tracks and improvising, lots of grey areas. Basically its like this:
Every time dave mathews band plays a song at a show, it's different than any other times they have played a given song because of all the freestyle solo's and just strait jam sessions.
meriter
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...d=&pagenumber=1
DJRYAN™
When I saw Paul van Dyk last year, I was in the vip booth right behind him watching what he was doing. He had an Ableton set all lined up. Track after track, warped, and set at the right spot for it to mix in with the last track he played. He still had Ableton sync'd to a controller to adjust his faders, but all in all everything was already laid out. He even had a drum loop which fit perfectly to whatever track he was playing to go over and a top for that little extra Umph. He also had his midi keyboard hooked up and played For an Angel live- which was pretty cool. I've always battled with whether or not it was alright to pre-program a set which would usually out do what I was capable of manually. I always thought that if I couldn't do it on the mixer, then I shouldn't do it. But now, as I'm getting more and more acclamated to technology and what the capabilities of Ableton are, I don't see any reason why someone shouldnt take advantage of it-in order to make oneself a better dj. Just do it if it sounds good is my new motto going into 2012.
Inner Sanctum
I thought the op was talking about performing not djing.
Looney4Clooney
quote:
Originally posted by DJRYAN™
When I saw Paul van Dyk last year, I was in the vip booth right behind him watching what he was doing. He had an Ableton set all lined up. Track after track, warped, and set at the right spot for it to mix in with the last track he played. He still had Ableton sync'd to a controller to adjust his faders, but all in all everything was already laid out. He even had a drum loop which fit perfectly to whatever track he was playing to go over and a top for that little extra Umph. He also had his midi keyboard hooked up and played For an Angel live- which was pretty cool. I've always battled with whether or not it was alright to pre-program a set which would usually out do what I was capable of manually. I always thought that if I couldn't do it on the mixer, then I shouldn't do it. But now, as I'm getting more and more acclamated to technology and what the capabilities of Ableton are, I don't see any reason why someone shouldnt take advantage of it-in order to make oneself a better dj. Just do it if it sounds good is my new motto going into 2012.

so basically you paid 60$ to listen to a cd. He wasn't djing, it isn't ok and it is pathetic that someone with even the most rudimentary knowledge would think this is in any way not a ing scam. Might as well go all out and pull a justice.

To be honest, i think the events were probably different. A : you weren't anywhere near the booth. B: you were too tweaked to realize that what you thought was a booth was a dark corner where that glowstick in your hand was some latino guys dick. What you thought was ableton was the lazers messing with your mind and although PVD is a hack , he is no less or more a hack than the rest and i'm pretty sure he isn't just pressing play. I 'm basically going by the video you had a few months ago and a gut feeling that people like you don't really get to go anywhere near the dj booth. I mean bouncers are trained to keep scrawny tweeker trainspotters as far away as possible. The latino hand job scenario seems much more realistic.
Beatflux
quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
so basically you paid 60$ to listen to a cd. He wasn't djing, it isn't ok and it is pathetic that someone with even the most rudimentary knowledge would think this is in any way not a ing scam. Might as well go all out and pull a justice.

To be honest, i think the events were probably different. A : you weren't anywhere near the booth. B: you were too tweaked to realize that what you thought was a booth was a dark corner where that glowstick in your hand was some latino guys dick. What you thought was ableton was the lazers messing with your mind and although PVD is a hack , he is no less or more a hack than the rest and i'm pretty sure he isn't just pressing play. I 'm basically going by the video you had a few months ago and a gut feeling that people like you don't really get to go anywhere near the dj booth. I mean bouncers are trained to keep scrawny tweeker trainspotters as far away as possible. The latino hand job scenario seems much more realistic.

When you go see someone like paul van dyk, I don't know how much actual DJing people want to hear. People want to hear his hits, plus some other that's more or less filler.

Just imagine for a second that you are daft punk; you wouldn't even necessarily have to go on tour. Have some other stage hands put on the helmets and go into the triangle. Sit at home and profit. It makes people like Armin regret not incorporating a mask into his image.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement