return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
10 Free kick drums from Black Octopus Sound (Monster Kicks Volume 1)
View this Thread in Original format
tobyemerson
Hey Guys, I posted up some free vocal samples a few weeks ago and the response was great - so here are 10 free kicks from my new kick drum library:

Monster Kicks Volume 1

Just scroll halfway down the page for the free download.

The full pack has 128 kick drums for 17.99 if you feel so inclined to get the full pack. There is some audio demos on the page as well.

Cheers!
pointPi
How do you make kicks like these?
DJRYAN™
thanks! (but a 700kb file for 10 kicks) seems like a small file size =) nonetheless, I appreciate it!!
sako487
perfect low end, thank you!
orTofønChiLd
quote:
Originally posted by pointPi
How do you make kicks like these?

yeah i wanna know too
Trancelover03591
Thank you! These sound like they can be put to good use.
Aureliou
A wide range of high end analog gear and hardware has been used in the production of this pack ensuring these kicks have analog warmth and presence.
tobyemerson
quote:
Originally posted by orTofønChiLd
yeah i wanna know too

Hey Guys thanks for checking out the kicks. I have been refining my kick drum creation for a few years now and without giving away all my secrets basically I break it down into a few parts:

- Sub ( A sine wave with a pitch envelope) Find the right frequency for the type of kick you are making. The pitch envelope is also very important here in if your kick is punchy / boomy / clean etc..
- Mid / Top (other drums / recording sounds) to fill up the higher frequency. Also you need a bit of a "click" sound for the attack. Usually need a few layers are needed for the composite of the top.

FX are very important. I used a bunch of Universal Audio gear (LA2A, 1176)
Other stuff used - EL Fatso, Studer A800, Harrison 32C.

Then I ran the kicks through the hardware api2500 & focusrite preamps

(some I compressed a small amount and some I left pretty much uncompressed but still ran through the hardware to color the sound a bit)

Hope that helps!
Dj_Kile
I picked up the whole pack yesterday, good kicks
Beatflux
I gave the demo kicks a listen and they are decent. The low end is pretty beefy. I think the high end on these kicks is a bit lacking.

The kicks don't sound very diverse.

tobyemerson
quote:
I gave the demo kicks a listen and they are decent. The low end is pretty beefy. I think the high end on these kicks is a bit lacking.

good observations - one thing I've noticed when playing my tracks out on a loud system is that the high end on a kick drum really sticks out more and more when the volume is at a really high level (as well the reflections from many club rooms) so I purposely left most of them fairly minimal/clean in the high end - in the full pack however there are a number that have fuller sounding highs.

A couple more tips using the kicks:

If the low end becomes a bit much for the mix you have going as well I would recommend shortening the envelope a bit to leave more room for the other bass sounds as the kicks are indeed very full in the lower frequencies.

Also try layering the kicks together (one with a highpass so using only the top) to get a more fuller high end in the kick. make sure to experiment with inverting the phase with this technique to ensure the kicks remain in phase.

cheers
Evolve140
quote:
Originally posted by tobyemerson
good observations - one thing I've noticed when playing my tracks out on a loud system is that the high end on a kick drum really sticks out more and more when the volume is at a really high level (as well the reflections from many club rooms) so I purposely left most of them fairly minimal/clean in the high end -

cheers

interesting psychoacoustic or acoustic affect.... i wonder why?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement