return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Using limiter as volume control
View this Thread in Original format
TrAnCeMaSteR
So the other day a producer friend gave me a tip...and I'm not sure what to think of it. Basically he says that I should never touch the fader and do volume control through limiting using the ceiling. I get why he's saying it, but is this the same as compressing the out of everything? I know messing with the threshold is, but not exactly sure if lowering the ceiling does the same thing...thoughts?

...and more importantly..is this a good idea?
J.L.
He is not your friend then.

Or he has very bad habits.
jayxthekoolest
That might be a good strategy if you are trying to stay in the moment and produce all the sounds and melodies for the track within an hour - three hours without focusing on mixing at all. However I would definitely not recommend mixing that way when you are actually trying to mix the track.
Kam
the limiter can be good if your using automation on the channel which might send the levels up (reverb/distortion/etc).
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by TrAnCeMaSteR
So the other day a producer friend gave me a tip...and I'm not sure what to think of it. Basically he says that I should never touch the fader and do volume control through limiting using the ceiling. I get why he's saying it, but is this the same as compressing the out of everything? I know messing with the threshold is, but not exactly sure if lowering the ceiling does the same thing...thoughts?

No, lowering the ceiling does not do the same thing as adjusting the threshold. The ceiling is an absolute limit. The threshold is a relative adjustment that applies gain reduction based on the input level. The two parameters work in conjunction to determine how much headroom you have.

quote:
Originally posted by TrAnCeMaSteR
...and more importantly..is this a good idea?

Generally speaking, no. But, if you leave the threshold at zero (no gain reduction applied), the ceiling essentially acts as a fader and can be used as a simple brickwall to safeguard against "overs".
tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik

Generally speaking, no. But, if you leave the threshold at zero (no gain reduction applied), the ceiling essentially acts as a fader and can be used as a simple brickwall to safeguard against "overs".

You might still be adding a certain colouration depending on the limiter and it's algorithm, but whether that's noticable or not is debatable.

I sometimes use Cytomik The Glue on the master out set to zero as a free gain booster as sometimes if I'm on a quiet mix my headphone out's on the Saffire 6 i'm using are too quiet. I can't say it's effected a mix thus far.
clay
all these volume threads again. its a cycle. in a month well be back on sidechaining. its all been done before....

TrAnCeMaSteR
quote:
Originally posted by clay
all these volume threads again. its a cycle. in a month well be back on sidechaining. its all been done before....

lol as i read that i saw 3 other threads right next to mine with volume control as the title. i was just curious to see if anybody does this. Thanks for the info guys.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement