return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Compulsory army duties in Europe
View this Thread in Original format
Sushipunk
No idea what she was researching on the net, but my fiancee just randomly told me that Germany, up until last year, had compulsory army duties for guys over 18. I actually had no idea of this.

I knew that (some?) Scandinavian countries have it, still. How many other countries in Europe do this? I used to live with a Norwegian guy who hated the whole ordeal, but during my travels I met quite a few Scandinavians that thought it was pretty good, considering the rewards when they finished (free tertiary education, etc.)

More importantly, this means that Black Adder Meat187 was in the army at some point :wtf:

What was it like, Scando/German guys?
Meat187
Why :wtf: ? Can't you imagine me in the army?

That should explain it.
Joss Weatherby
I wish the US had something like this. Maybe we'd not off into other countries on whims... Plus I know my generation could use it. :p

Mandatory public service, be it military or civil I think is a good thing for societies.
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
That should explain it.

It does, I guess. I read on Wiki that German homosexuals were excluded from compulsory duties :p

Jews were excluded as well though, to be fair.
Sushipunk
Sick burn aside, what was it like, Meat?
EgosXII
A lot of middle-eastern countries do it too-- Israel and Egypt do, off the top of my head. It is very unusual to think that it still happens in a lot of places, hey Stubes...

Aus is so in' relaxed, there's no way it would ever happen here :stongue:
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by EgosXII
A lot of middle-eastern countries do it too-- Israel and Egypt do, off the top of my head. It is very unusual to think that it still happens in a lot of places, hey Stubes...

Aus is so in' relaxed, there's no way it would ever happen here :stongue:

I wasn't talking about the middle east, I was talking about Europe :p
Meat187
quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
Unfunny try-hard burn aside, what was it like, Meat?

Don't know, I actually chose the civilian replacement service and worked in a hospital for nine months. Bad decision, as it convinced me not to study medicine, which I regretted as soon as House MD started airing. :(
People tell me it's quite relaxed and easy, depending a bit on what you choose after the 3 months of basic training. The only reason for me to avoid it was that the hospital was 2 minutes from my parents' house.
It was also ridiculously easy to avoid it by faking some health issues in the last couple of years. And some people just weren't drafted at all for some reason. Abolishing it was overdue, imho.

Edit: Avatar changed for Sushipunk-related reasons. :p
Sushipunk
quote:
Don't know, I actually chose the civilian replacement service and worked in a hospital for nine months. Bad decision, as it convinced me not to study medicine, which I regretted as soon as House MD started airing. :(
People tell me it's quite relaxed and easy, depending a bit on what you choose after the 3 months of basic training. The only reason for me to avoid it was that the hospital was 2 minutes from my parents' house.
It was also ridiculously easy to avoid it by faking some health issues in the last couple of years. And some people just weren't drafted at all for some reason. Abolishing it was overdue, imho.

LOL at the House part :haha:

I also read that young Germans would just get wasted on drugs a day or two before the medical exam, and wouldn't be allowed to serve because of what the tests showed up :stongue: That's what I would have done!
Sushipunk
quote:
Edit: Avatar changed for Sushipunk-related reasons. :p

:(

EgosXII
quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
I wasn't talking about the middle east, I was talking about Europe :p

I was :whip:

And I also said, can you imagine if 'Stralia had it :stongue:
Redd
It's like a kindergarden. You learn to take orders to do ridiculous stuff without thinking for yourself. I was there at 19 and I felt treated like a 6-year old. Other than the obvious learn to kill it's also financially bad. You lose an entire year of education / income from work. The only good thing about it is for undiciplined kids whose parents didn't do their job and who needs to get their straightened out. Much like your bootcamps.

It's fairly easy to get out of now though, just say you're against nuclear weapons or you're a pacifist and you're clear. Earlier if you did this you had to do something called civil-duty, which is much like working for free for the community.

There are people who say they enjoy it. I have a feeling thats people who have an urge to belong to something bigger than themselves. Or just belong.

I'm generalising, there are some duties that seems ok when in the army.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Privacy Statement