return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

what a terrible week
View this Thread in Original format
Vivid Boy
I have a huge uncontrollable fever from strep throat and I just buried a friend of mine today. I'm on a one friend every two year average.

RIP Galli

Full Blast Galli

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...-to-first-child

quote:

Inside his Barrie home, David Gallagher lined his office wall-to-wall with images of tugs and barges and swiveling cranes, incessant reminders of a life devoted — in work and play — to marine construction.

So when he died in a sudden construction accident last week, Gallagher, who was expecting his first child in April, was in his milieu, close to the Whitby waterfront where he had been working on a condo development site.

Around 2 p.m. on Feb. 23, Gallagher was dismantling a mobile Link-Belt 98 crane when he was crushed by a fallen lattice boom. The force of the blow killed him instantly in what Gallagher’s father, Dave, called a “freak accident.”

A fully-licensed crane operator, Gallagher had been lifting for Galcon Marine Ltd., a marine construction firm run by his father, where he worked nearly half his life.

“He was the guy running that whole job,” Dave, 56, said. Two other Galcon employees onsite were aiding disassembly. Gallagher, who grew up in Etobicoke, was the sole victim.

Brampton-based Clipper Construction Ltd. is overseeing the project, at 1900 Brock St. S., which has been halted while the Ministry of Labour investigates. Gallagher was building a soil retaining wall prior to the incident, said ministry spokesman Matt Blajer.

Clipper Construction, which contracted Galcon for work on the condo, refused to comment on Gallagher’s death.

Gallagher’s goal was to carry on the family business, where he worked alongside his older brother, Shaun, installing water intake pipelines in Barrie, Innisfil and Kenora. Dave Gallagher remembered his son as a fine operator who was frequently requested for sub-contracted crane work.

“He touched everybody that ran into him,” the father said, adding that Galcon’s competitors have flooded the family with flowers and consolation.

When he wasn’t on water, Gallagher was in the air, a proud owner of a Cessna 150 airplane nearing his pilot license.

His death leaves his partner, Kristen Nicholson, whom he’d lived with for two years, alone to raise the couple’s unnamed daughter. The reminder will remain inside the Cessna two-seater, where Gallagher had already installed a baby seat.

A funeral will be held for Gallagher at 10 a.m. Thursday at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, at 3055 Bloor St. W., in Etobicoke.

I've had a few friends pass over the years and it always sucks....but i think this one burns a little deeper because his life was just coming together. So many responsibilities. He had a little girl on the way in the next few weeks. He was so excited about it. He was taking over his dad's construction company and was doing so well. HIs brother was there to witness the whole thing.
Sushipunk
That sucks Eric, really sorry to hear that mate :(
ziptnf
Bummer, dude. My condolences :(
Swamper
Sorry bro :(

Tragic how stuff like that can just happen... scary as .
EddieZilker
Very sorry Eric. That absolutely sucks.
knowhope
If i was near TO, i'd bring a bottle of Talisker and a 12 pack of Stella, including a extra large pizza, topping would be meat lover.
kadomony
really rough man, sorry to hear
Seandroid
Holy man... that's awful =[

Condolences!
Vivid Boy
thanks guys. I just felt like sharing his life a bit. He was such a cool guy, he always made you feel so welcomed. I remember the first time i met him when i was 15 at a cottage. I had gone up with a friend of mine and knew nobody. I met galli and he made me feel like we were friends for years.

The guy had a love for toys. and he went full blast at everything.I remember we used to rally race this beat up van at this local schools soccer field and cut across the field. There was one part in the grass wher ethere was a huge dip. Galli would aim for it every week and tried to hit it harder and faster then the week before. the car would fly in the air and all of us with weed and beer in the back would be tossed around like marbles in a clothes dryer.

Nobody would want to go tubing if Galli was driving the boat. He was relentless.

The guy lived his life on full blast. in 30 years living at the speed he did would be like 70 of ours. I had killer times with the guy. I regret becoming slowly more distant as we got older. it happens. But he was present for alot of the crazy i did and he was holding the steering wheel most of the time. rest in peace buddy
Lira
Sorry to hear it, mate. Poor Kristen :(

man this blows. Really sorry mate.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement