return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Kubrick, The Beatles, and the Crimson King
View this Thread in Original format
Scratchula
Load the Eyes Wide Shut DVD into your DVD-ROM and start the DVD, pausing when the first begining credit first flashes and the music score starts up (be exact). Load a CD copy of Abbey Road by The Beatles into your CD-ROM and choose Windows Media Player to play the CD - or load it into a CD player - in repeat-all mode. Left click the Media player window using the mouse pointer, so the play button on your keyboard will be able to start the CD. Hold the mouse pointer over the start button for the DVD player without clicking, and then push the play button on the keyboard to start the CD while also left clicking the mouse to start the DVD as immediately after pushing the play button on the keyboard as humanly possible. Start the DVD as simultaneously with the CD as possible.

Allow the DVD and CD to play simultaneously and confirm that the synchronization between movie and music is precise. Watch and learn. When the movie ends, just let the music continue on and let the main menu play itself out, which will result in the movie starting again in synchronization with the music. Do this as many times as is useful.

This synchronization also works with Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket in echoing loop mode, as it was used in synchronization with the filming of the movies. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was also used, but I haven't confirmed that it was used in echoing loop mode, nor have I checked the rest of the Beatle's music catalog with these movies.

It is of course important to get the start point correct. With Kubrick, it is always when the movie score begins (for movies made starting with Clockwork Orange at least). For Clockwork Orange, it is when the orange screen flashes for the first time. For The Shining, it is when the imagery of the reservoir first flashes on screen (pre-orgasmic imagery, the blood splash out of the elevator symbolizing orgasm). For Full Metal Jacket, the music score begins during the Warner Brother's logo screen. For Eyes Wide Shut, it is the first beginning credit.

The Revolver album, by The Beatles, was used as synchronization music for 2001: A Space Odyssey. The start point is right at the beginning, where the black screen and orchestra noise starts.
LAdazeNYnights
No.
Desiderata
I can't imagine this (if it is true) being cooler than Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon and the Wizard of Oz.
LAdazeNYnights
i can't imagine what kind of person would 'just keep watching it on repeat' or watch all of the films to the same soundtrack. higgghhhllllyyy doubt it was intentional - and if it was then i have less respect for kubrick. not more.
Desiderata
:stongue:
srussell0018
I don't like Stanley Kubrick because people have heard of him.
Desiderata
I think the idea of syncing albums to a whole movie is very creative and clever and I will never knock anyone for that and I really like Stanley Kubrick's movies.
But if this is a 100% fact with all his movies then I just feel The Beatles (as great as they are in their own right) really don't fit into a Stanley Kubrick movie with the volume of the movie off because his movies are great the way they are and if I am going to watch one, I don't think I would want the volume down while listening to The Beatles but I imagine if you are a Beatles fan then this would be divine. I'm going to give this a shot though just to see for myself as this is the first time I have heard of this. I know it will never be as good as Pink Floyd and the The Wizard of Oz IMO.

SYSTEM-J
No, it's bull. There are lots of these stories. It began because Pink Floyd originally wrote some of the music for 2001, which was ultimately replaced by classical pieces. So there are Pink Floyd tracks (off the top of my head, I think it's Echoes) that may synch with certain scenes from 2001 because those scenes were edited around the music.

All of these other synchronisation rumours are basically the ramblings of over-enthusiastic potheads. It's quite clearly ludicrous because when these films were made and edited, neither DVDs nor CDs existed - the albums would have been released on vinyls which needed flipping over, and how could Kubrick have accounted for a DVD menu playing itself out when DVD menus would not be invented for 30 years?
LAdazeNYnights
quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
No, it's bull. There are lots of these stories. It began because Pink Floyd originally wrote some of the music for 2001, which was ultimately replaced by classical pieces. So there are Pink Floyd tracks (off the top of my head, I think it's Echoes) that may synch with certain scenes from 2001 because those scenes were edited around the music.

All of these other synchronisation rumours are basically the ramblings of over-enthusiastic potheads. It's quite clearly ludicrous because when these films were made and edited, neither DVDs nor CDs existed - the albums would have been released on vinyls which needed flipping over, and how could Kubrick have accounted for a DVD menu playing itself out when DVD menus would not be invented for 30 years?

:haha:
Scratchula
I have actually studied into this issue, so it is not a matter of belief as much as knowledge.

I never said anything about all films syncing with the Beatles' collection. Naturally The Beatles are likely to be used quite often, given the popularity of the music, and also given the nature of it. Anyway, it helps to look for the hints included in the movies indicating which music may have been used, like the famous walk across the street on the cover of Abbey Road showing up in the Kubrick films in some analogous fashion (the first walk into the Gold Ball Room in the Shining for example).

Again, I have done my homework, and have some idea of what I am talking about. Kubrick seems to make extensive use of Abbey Road, but then I haven't yet tried Sgt. Pepper in "echo mode," nor looked into the possible use of the entire Beatles catalog in the Kubrick films.

Remember, we are talking about the big films here, and there are reasons these films are so popular. The better films need the rhythm to seem so beautiful.

dj_alfi
quote:
Originally posted by Scratchula
I have actually studied into this issue, so it is not a matter of belief as much as knowledge.

I never said anything about all films syncing with the Beatles' collection. Naturally The Beatles are likely to be used quite often, given the popularity of the music, and also given the nature of it. Anyway, it helps to look for the hints included in the movies indicating which music may have been used, like the famous walk across the street on the cover of Abbey Road showing up in the Kubrick films in some analogous fashion (the first walk into the Gold Ball Room in the Shining for example).

Again, I have done my homework, and have some idea of what I am talking about. Kubrick seems to make extensive use of Abbey Road, but then I haven't yet tried Sgt. Pepper in "echo mode," nor looked into the possible use of the entire Beatles catalog in the Kubrick films.

Remember, we are talking about the big films here, and there are reasons these films are so popular. The better films need the rhythm to seem so beautiful.

You're lying.
KilldaDJ
no, i cant be arsed.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Privacy Statement