return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Sonar vs Ableton Live
View this Thread in Original format
Zomg
Ive had lots of people critizing ableton and telling me to use Sonar, because its way better etc. etc. etc.So ive been looking into sonar a little, watched some tutorials. But both have audio and midi tracks, and most of my instruments are plugins,and those are independent from what kind of host i use.So whats the big difference?The effects?Equalizers?But i could get those as plugins too. So what could be better? Does it even matter what host you use?Arent they all pretty much the same? I dont know, maybe im overlooking something; id love to hear your opinions.

Zomg!
Beatflux
It doesn't matter.
TranceLover007
quote:
Originally posted by Zomg
Ive had lots of people critizing ableton and telling me to use Sonar, because its way better etc. etc. etc.So ive been looking into sonar a little, watched some tutorials. But both have audio and midi tracks, and most of my instruments are plugins,and those are independent from what kind of host i use.So whats the big difference?The effects?Equalizers?But i could get those as plugins too. So what could be better? Does it even matter what host you use?Arent they all pretty much the same? I dont know, maybe im overlooking something; id love to hear your opinions.

Zomg!

If you believe that your production skills are so good and you think that the software is your only limitation then you are ready to change your DAW.

I'm on Ableton and is perfectly fine for me - the rest is totally up to you.

Cheers,

Darek
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by Zomg
Ive had lots of people critizing ableton and telling me to use Sonar, because its way better etc.

What exactly are they criticizing about Ableton and how important are those reasons to you? Sonar is a lot different than Ableton in terms of workflow and features, and has a much steeper curve IMO, so you'd probably better have good reasons to want to switch before making that jump.
M-AlTo
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
What exactly are they criticizing about Ableton and how important are those reasons to you? Sonar is a lot different than Ableton in terms of workflow and features, and has a much steeper curve IMO, so you'd probably better have good reasons to want to switch before making that jump.

I've been using Ableton since Version 4. Recently, the topic was brought up and one of the pros for using a DAW such as Logic was the quality of rendering.

Can anyone try to compare by bouncing some stems on some different DAWs?
EddieZilker
quote:
Originally posted by M-AlTo
Can anyone try to compare by bouncing some stems on some different DAWs?

Die in a fire!
M-AlTo
quote:
Originally posted by EddieZilker
Die in a fire!

LOL..What are you? From Michigan? :) I'd do it myself but I don't have both DAWs running at the moment. Just passing along a 'possible' difference that I've yet to confirm myself. I like Ableton. The plugins since V8 render very nice for me and I have no complaints.
EddieZilker
quote:
LOL... I'd do it myself but I don't have both DAWs running at the moment. Just passing along a 'possible' difference that I've yet to confirm myself. I like Ableton. The plugins since V8 render very nice for me and I have no complaints.

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...s=#.T6l5BcXfKSo

See #8 and, for God's sake, stop bumping old threads with obvious advice or benchmark requests that could be researched on Google.
M-AlTo
quote:
Originally posted by EddieZilker
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...s=#.T6l5BcXfKSo

See #8 and, for God's sake, stop bumping old threads with obvious advice or benchmark requests that could be researched on Google.

Yeah .. :) That didn't really answer my question ... but ok. I'll be sure to consult with every other source on the web before bothering you again :)
EddieZilker
quote:
Yeah .. :) That didn't really answer my question ... but ok. I'll be sure to consult with every other source on the web before bothering you again :)

It wasn't my intention to answer your question which presupposes both a willingness and capability you don't possess. You're not the first person to ask this sort of question; hence the referral to the forum FAQ - #8 - that should indicate NOT to ask that sort of question. You apparently have seen fit to ignore that rule under the assumption that your request is so novel and important that it supersedes the inception of forum guidelines. I have therefor arrived at the conclusion that you think you're special and are owed some extension of labor beyond what you are actually entitled to.

cryophonik
quote:
LOL..What are you? From Michigan? :)

I'm from Michigan. What's your point?
Looney4Clooney
Ableton is known to arbitrarily not carry the 1's during its mix down summing giving it a slightly less buttery sound. You never really know because the math errors are not predictable. The upside is that scientists are doing tests on the platform trying to understand its apparent display of AI.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement