return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
DIVA v1.1
View this Thread in Original format
Julz
Just a heads up that Diva has been updated.
Very nice multi thread support, Divine mode no longer causes CPU spikes.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/diva
Richard Butler
wut you fink of dis synth?
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler
wut you fink of dis synth?

I think it's a great synth, but not the end-all that the fanboys will have you thinking that it is. The hype over this synth over on KVR and, to a lesser extent, gearslutz is ridiculously over the top. No matter how much they throw the word "analogue" around, it's still a digital software synthesizer. It sounds great for an analogue emulation, but, even with the 1.1 update, many patches will bring an i7 to its knees. It's a fairly niche synth, but it's looking like it will get some improvements, including an arpeggiator, in some upcoming updates, which should make it more flexible and probably better suited for EDM (to many a fanboy's ire, to be sure).

Bottom line for me is that it doesn't come close to Zebra as being a "desert island" synth. YMMV. But, if you've never owned an analogue synth and want to feel like you can hang with the smug, condescending analogue crowd, just add Diva. :)
tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
I think it's a great synth, but not the end-all that the fanboys will have you thinking that it is. The hype over this synth over on KVR and, to a lesser extent, gearslutz is ridiculously over the top. No matter how much they throw the word "analogue" around, it's still a digital software synthesizer. It sounds great for an analogue emulation, but, even with the 1.1 update, many patches will bring an i7 to its knees. It's a fairly niche synth, but it's looking like it will get some improvements, including an arpeggiator, in some upcoming updates, which should make it more flexible and probably better suited for EDM (to many a fanboy's ire, to be sure).

Bottom line for me is that it doesn't come close to Zebra as being a "desert island" synth. YMMV. But, if you've never owned an analogue synth and want to feel like you can hang with the smug, condescending analogue crowd, just add Diva. :)

I'll go along with this.

I do think it's better than anything else at the analogue emulation thing, and does sound very good indeed. I'm not sure if it matters though, especially not in a mix. As a nerds toy or something to replace a few bits of old analogue gear it's brilliant.

Totally unusable on my PC though.
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
I'm not sure if it matters though, especially not in a mix.

That's a point that needs to be highlighted IMO. In the two tracks that I've been using it in, I've found that I've had to EQ so much out of Diva that, by the time I'm done, it sounds like,....well, any other synth. I think it's probably better suited for sparse mixes where it can take up as much room as necessary.
DJRAMM
Diva < Zebra
Julz
Yea its not the easiest to fit into a mix.
I really didnt use this synth that much due to CPU spikes, but this new feature has made a big difference.

Cryo is right, you tend to have to eq all the goodness out of a sound.

Dive really reminds me of Gforce Minimonsta with a much brighter sound.
Raphie
My diva license is for sale PM me if interested...
Julz
quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
Totally unusable on my PC though.

How come?
Teezdalien
I really like this synth. I don't own or intend to buy any proper analogue stuff, unless to build a modular one day, but if I'm after that classic analogue kind of sound I go for Diva, sounds quite like no other soft synth and I find it pretty inspiring to play with.
You'd rather have a nice rich, thick sound to work with than a flimsy, thin lifeless one, right?

tehlord
quote:
Originally posted by Julz
How come?

I'm still using an old Q9400 quadcore and it doesn't take much Diva to crush it. Even with the update a two handed chord in Divine mode can max out the CPU.
evo8
Its the best soft-synth ive ever tried, well worth checking out
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement