return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Music Producers Promotion

re.son - Manila Libre - Monk's Crayons For Andrea & Euan
View this Thread in Original format
PivotTechno
Here's my foray into production - pretty much straight up Techno, hopefully a little less typical than the usual fare.

Story behind the track...envisioning two close friends scribbling giant circles in crayon on sheets of white paper to the sounds of my favourite Jazz pianist, while thousands of Filipino street children chant joyously after having been freed from lives of begging and selling in the entertainment districts in the early a.m. hours...

Now, please keep in mind that I'm a DJ, first and foremost...having said that, constructive input is most certainly appreciated.
PivotTechno
Bump, justforthehelluvit.
EddieZilker
I like it.

The beginning, where the phrase seems to be unable to resolve, until the beat comes in, is particularly well done. If I were going to hazard a guess on what might be some problems for others, it would be the kick-drum being over-powered on its low-end and the absence of a bass-line. My personal issue is the ever present scraping noise which is too loud and too consistent. It's fine as an accent in parts or, if you started pulling it back, over a period of time, way, way, way, into the back-ground.

As it is, now, the scraping sounds like something used for menacing foreshadowing that doesn't necessarily pertain to the song and isn't particularly well-executed. If it does pertain to the music, it lacks contextualization within the mix. It sounds like something you added that sounded cool, while you were working on the mix, but you never really got around to working on it. I agree - it does sound cool and I think you should keep it in this song. My subjectivity dictates that it lacks a proper perspective in the mix. It's something you want people to notice, after it's completely disappeared.

I did write a lot of criticism but I really do like this tune. I am curious to hear any future evolutions you come up with, too.
PivotTechno
Much appreciated, EZ. I know that it isn't 99.9% just yet, but I've been sitting on it for 10+ years and wanted to at least get the 80% (where I figure it's at for the moment) version out there for some input.

Will certainly keep you updated.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement