return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Problems with cartridge and needles
View this Thread in Original format
dJohn
I had to switch out my sylii because they were being worn down alot; with the extra ones that came with the original stylii.
I dunno if it's a defective stylus, but one of the needles sits abnormally parallel to the cartridge, resulting the in the cartridge literally gliding on top of the record, touching it ever so slightly. This in turn results in a hissing sound of the cartridge being dragged across the record...really annoying and bad.
Is this the needle? The cartridge? Also when I back cue, the cartridge wobbles side to side because the needle is being tracked on the groove, and I KNOW this is putting uneccessary strain on the groove and the stylii.
Any suggestions? I recently made my counterweight heavier so that I don't put uneeded tracking pressure on my records when I practice at home(I practice about 2-3 hours every day...EVERY day)...???
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Xquisite
John,

The cartridge wobbles side to side because the grooves are not perfect on the record. On every record you're going to get that. As for the needle being parallel, i'm not sure what you mean by that. If it's indeed parallel meaning it's parallel to the length of the cartridge, then that's bad news. It's suppose to be perpendicular (flexible) to the cartridge so that it fits into the groove.

When you look at the record spinning at a closer view, the needle is pointing slightly outwards with the direction of the record. It's suppose to do that.

Assuming what I said matches your description, if it makes a hissing sound, it's most likely there's lint or dust on your needle. Use a tiny clean brush and get it off. If it still makes a hissing sound, you need to add more weight to your tonearm.

The other thing you may want to look at it later when you get better is purchasing other brands of cartridges. If you get the Shure 477G, it's basically skip proof. I also the SK402 carts, but those are utter crap compared to the Shure carts.

Hope that helps ;)
dJohn
I will explain the parallel part.
Ok, you have the cartridge, right? I'ts parallel to the record legnth wise, riding obove the record. he need is supposed to be, like you said, perpendicular, but instead is really close to being parallel with the record, resulting the cartrdige barely resting on the vinyl while spinning. This I KNOW for a fact creates the hissing sound.
Thanks for your help. I'm sure it's just a matter of taking off weight on the counterbalance(resulting in more weight by the cartridge end), but for now I think this will have to do.
Thanks again!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement