return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Music Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 
Art of Trance - Madagascar (Original Mix)
View this Thread in Original format
Dj Pluviose
I believe the Original Mix for this track is virtually superior to all the other remixes being made. I respect Cyngus X and Ferry Corsten's classic Gouryella spin on it, but nothing beats the original. Actually, for some reason all the remixes of the Madagascar track all sound like the Ferry/Cyngus track for some reason, and it's like everybody at that time forgot about the haunting melodies of the original.

Does anybody else feel this way? The original mix of Madagascar just has this special to feel to it, and although the remixes are good, they don't come remotely close.
kosmotika
Cygnus X's remix was the original remix that everyone copies. Ferry's was more or less a cover of the Cygnus X version, a bit more 'updated' to fit the sound of that time.
The original Madagascar is nice, but for me is a track that wouldn't really fly in a club because it sounds like it can't decide what it wants to be. It uses a 303 line but the rest of the song is much too 'soft' to fit into an acid set. It could fit into a downtempo trance set, but the 303 line makes it too harsh for that. This is ultimately why the Cygnus X remix was the one that made the song a success; it's pure trance. It knows what kind of sound it's going for, so DJs know how to use the track without too much experimentation. It also introduced the chord melody that the majority of following remixes used; I think that bit caught on more than the melody from the original.
Push also gave a decent remix, expanding on the melody of the Cygnus X version
Sykonee
To the surprise of probably no one, I ing loathe that Corsten remix. Not a huge fan of the Cygnus X rub either, but gotta' give it props for doing something so different from the original, that it seemingly turned every subsequent remixer into uninspired hacks.
Dj Pluviose
quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
To the surprise of probably no one, I ing loathe that Corsten remix. Not a huge fan of the Cygnus X rub either, but gotta' give it props for doing something so different from the original, that it seemingly turned every subsequent remixer into uninspired hacks.

Or maybe it was just cuz Tiesto played it? Lol

Original is still the best for me, though it took me a long time to learn how to get into it. Seriously sometimes I discover new tracks with already old tracks that I had before but just never really gave it a listen. Or, it would be because I didn't understand it at the time.
AY STAR
the ferry mix i feel works the best in a club
the push remix is great, has a nice drive to it i enjoy listening but i dont think it would work the best in the club

the Cygnus X is the best version imo
but to each is own
Trance-M
I bought the single only for the Cygnus X version back then, probably listened the original only once. It was just a two track single.

I think it was still Madagasga at my single, before the rename, must check it.
evo8
quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
I bought the single only for the Cygnus X version back then, probably listened the original only once. It was just a two track single.

I think it was still Madagasga at my single, before the rename, must check it.

never heard the Cygnus X remix before, practically the same as Corstens, which one came first?
Trance-M
quote:
Originally posted by evo8
never heard the Cygnus X remix before, practically the same as Corstens, which one came first?

Cygnus X was first, was the only remix next to the original I think: http://www.discogs.com/Art-Of-Tranc...a/master/166762

I do like the Ferry Corsten remix best, but it was released later.
The Push remix is too much and the Transa remix doesn't have the magic.
I think Ferry did a good job.

Would have been a lot better if the first maxi was like this:

http://www.discogs.com/Art-Of-Tranc...r/release/47226
Redd
heard the original only first a couple of years after the remixes, and it's definitely my pick
trancedanne
1. Original Mix
2. Push Remix
3. Michael Woods remix
4. Cygnus X Remix
5. Ferry Corsten Remix

IMO!!! :cool:

Syntonic
As a huge Art Of Trance fan, I always thought this track was one of his weakest. It starts off great, mainly because of those sweet vocal pads but just loses it's direction. Still a decent track, and that Ferry Corsten has one of the most annoying breakdowns ever.

When the remixes came out, the Domi-Nation remix felt like it should have been the original. Love the added chanting and pitching it down sounds even better.

Domi-Nation>Michael Woods>Push>Original

Complete Madagascar release: https://pro.beatport.com/release/th...mastered/843625
RebeL9
I would rank them in this way:

1. Cygnus X
2. Original mix
3. Michael Woods remix
4. Ferry Corsten remix
5. Transa remix
6. Push remix

As much as I like the Cygnus X remix I still think their remix of Art of Trance - Easter Island is even better than Madagascar.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement