return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Music Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 
Kolsch goes full tiesto
View this Thread in Original format
paulversuspaul

This to me is like the modern tech house equivalent of tiesto's delerium remix. I actually really like this Kolsch remix because its massive PLUR but less cheesy than the usual stuff associated with PLUR now days but man it does walk a fine line between full on trance vocal cheese and underground respectability. Might even cross it. But I actually think its really good and imagine it would be very nice at the right moment and the right kind of party.
Mr.Mystery
Ah yes, the good ol' "I'm too embarrassed to call it trance so I'll just drop it to 125 bpm and call it tech house" treatment.
SYSTEM-J
Kolsch is generally pretty good at treading that tight-rope between massive and cheesy. He's not one for people who get a bit flummoxed and uncertain without safe genre markers of credibility, that's for sure.

I'm not totally sold on this, though. I could do without the orchestral arrangements. Hannah Reid has a quite exceptional voice, and I generally find the best way to treat big vocals is to strip back the instrumental and keep it quite dark and tough. Put a massive arrangement behind an already big vocal and you start edging towards a sonic equivalent to a CGI-overload superhero movie climax.

If this Kolsch remix is the modern equivalent of Tiesto's remix of Silence, then I'd say Cristoph's last track is the modern equivalent of the Fade Sanctuary remix of Silence. This is how like my vocal tracks:

paulversuspaul
quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J

I'm not totally sold on this, though. I could do without the orchestral arrangements. Hannah Reid has a quite exceptional voice, and I generally find the best way to treat big vocals is to strip back the instrumental and keep it quite dark and tough. Put a massive arrangement behind an already big vocal and you start edging towards to a sonic equivalent to a CGI-overload superhero movie climax.

If this Kolsch remix is the modern equivalent of Tiesto's remix of Silence, then I'd say Cristoph's last track is the modern equivalent of the Fade Sanctuary remix of Silence. This is how like my vocal tracks:

great analogy and that cristoph remix is really good. Yeah its definitely over the top, but so was tiesto's remix. What i really am fascinated to see is how this song plays out this year. Does it get hammered by every tech house dj or does cross over into the more modern EDM scene? The song is just so over the top I am not sure how you play that unless its some full on festival. Has to be the last song of a set at something like that.
djthunderbird
Both tunes are immense! Cheers to the posters.
SYSTEM-J
quote:
Originally posted by paulversuspaul
The song is just so over the top I am not sure how you play that unless its some full on festival. Has to be the last song of a set at something like that.

Well, here's Kolsch playing it at a recent festival set alongside Michael Mayer:

I can see the big "song-y" guys like Kolsch and Mayer playing it without going out of their way.
Tweak
Tone down the strings and that's pretty decent - does give me a bit of a nostalgia trip.
wotyzoid
quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Kolsch is generally pretty good at treading that tight-rope between massive and cheesy. He's not one for people who get a bit flummoxed and uncertain without safe genre markers of credibility, that's for sure.

I disagree with this, and as much as I think he's a solid DJ, I have no clue how he got to the status he did. All his music sounds like soulless, fairy to me. And Im a huge kompakt fan.
SYSTEM-J
I don't actually have any of his productions (except this one, which ain't no "fairy "). I suppose I'm referring more to his DJ sets. He has the ability to go from really banging techno into something extremely PLUR and make it work.
wotyzoid
No yeah, I'm not disputing that, I've seen him throw down once. I thought we were talking about his work in the studio.

Edit: Track is not bad, not my style, but not bad. Definitely harder than what I've heard from him. But I can't help but feel like that bassline is all michael mayer and kolsch was just in for the ride. Of course I know thats a cheap shot. I really just can't get into anything this guy touches in the studio. And cheese is definitely the right word here.

Light The Fuse
I know its 2017 and things have changed. But back in the early 2000's we had a word for music like this.

That word was gay.
LoveHate
good comparison here. hit the nail.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement