return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Music Discussion

What happened to industrial?
View this Thread in Original format
CynepMeH
I used to listen to Nine Inch Nails, Front 242, Ministry, and buncha other no-known names. I'm curious if anyone who knows - what happened to "old-skool" industrial? Nine Inch Nails became unbearable after "Downward Spiral", Front 242 was equivalent of drivig a nail in my eardrum and Ministry sounded more and more like Heavy Metal/Death Metal after "Jesus built my hotrod".

So, can I say that industrial slowly evolved into "Goth" and now Marlyn Manson is industrial?

-Fill me in, plz...

BTW, funny rumor about Marlyn Manson - read it somewhere that this guy had 2 of his ribs surgically removed so that he can blow himself... wonder if it's true... coz' that's the only sex that feak should be getting; can't believe he was banging Rose McGowen.....
Mister_Michel
That 2nd part about Marilyn Manson is something that i've heard before.

Don't know if it's true thow :whip:
onceler
the marilyn manson part is not true

dunno what happened to industrial... nin / tapeworm (nin sideproject) were suppossed to have something coming soon.. but that was like 2 or 3 yrs ago...

i used to listen to all that... but my interrests went elsewhere
Ekstasis
I'm pretty sure 242 is working on a new album. Should be out soon. They also do a project called Male/Female. I havent listned to yet.

Industrial died when Nitzer Ebb released the single for Kick It. That song sucked.
obs
my take is that Industrial, along with Electronic Body Music (although they're kind of the same ... i guess EBM is a subgenre of industrial) mutated into New Beat/Hard Beat ... which mutated into Hardcore Techno (aka Hoover Techno).

consider that New Beat/Hard Beat and the Hoover sound originated in Belgium which is where a lot of that EBM came from.

Industrial sort of died in the early 90s when they went more of a rock and roll/thrash direction with all the guitar sounds and .

actually New Beat started out as Industrial/EBM records being played at slower speeds.

most famous Hoover track is probably Human Resource's Dominator.

check out the history of Belgium's R&S Records.
uberclkgtr
Daniel Bressanutti and Patrick Codenys from Front 242 recently did a DVD project called "Speed Tribe" with www.dance.com - it's a musical soundtrack set to images from the 2001 24 Hours of Le Mans. It's awesome. Check it out.

http://www.dance.com/speedtribe/?affiliate_Code=dnchome

There are video and audio clips linked from that page.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement