Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Magic: The C0r Gathering
Pages (13): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by shaw
Does not compute.

Hence my

Old Post Apr-17-2011 22:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

I never played Magic so I only have a handful of beaten up cards somewhere. Probably not even worth $5. My SW:CCG collection is almost complete, though, and worth several thousand dollars.

Kinda ridiculous how much these things end up being worth. Guess that's supply and demand at work. Still seems insane, though.

Old Post Apr-17-2011 22:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
You couldn't do better playing a game that you love for a living and making great money at it?

great money for a 22 year old does not equal great money for a 35 year old
so while you're making 'great money' for the time being what skills are you cultivating?

lews' story was a pretty good depiction, i think.

Old Post Apr-18-2011 01:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

quote:
Originally posted by LAdazeNYnights
so while you're making 'great money' for the time being what skills are you cultivating?

I guess it all depends on what you want out of life. I hear nothing but regret from people who (nowadays) said they spent their youth improving on nothing but their portfolio - life is about way more than that if you ask me, though I'm hardly an authority on the matter I suppose; Games really encapsulate this dynamic we have of rationalizing indulgence in a post-industrial society.

And yeah, I'm sure it's easy to become a complete loser if all you have is gaming - your parents will kick you out (for the better) and you'll come to realize what's important to you by necessity (for the better). You said it yourself, it's difficult to judge someone when they truly pursue their dreams, however inane those may seem - but what is the point of living, really? People have to create that for themselves, and there's no use passively condemning them for actively pursuing their earnest interests, especially if your ultimate standard is what looks good on a resume.

p.s. TRANCE FOREVER

Old Post Apr-18-2011 01:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
igottaknow
PerfectTeeth R4 Dinosaurs

quote:
I guess it all depends on what you want out of life. I hear nothing but regret from people who (nowadays) said they spent their youth improving on nothing but their portfolio - life is about way more than that if you ask me, though I'm hardly an authority on the matter I suppose; Games really encapsulate this dynamic we have of rationalizing indulgence in a post-industrial society.

And yeah, I'm sure it's easy to become a complete loser if all you have is gaming - your parents will kick you out (for the better) and you'll come to realize what's important to you by necessity (for the better). You said it yourself, it's difficult to judge someone when they truly pursue their dreams, however inane those may seem - but what is the point of living, really? People have to create that for themselves, and there's no use passively condemning them for actively pursuing their earnest interests, especially if your ultimate standard is what looks good on a resume.

fascinating!

Old Post Apr-18-2011 01:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for igottaknow Click here to Send igottaknow a Private Message Add igottaknow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

Am I not old enough to get it?

Old Post Apr-18-2011 01:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
igottaknow
PerfectTeeth R4 Dinosaurs

Your Ted Striker and everyone else reading your post is sitting in the next seat.

Old Post Apr-18-2011 01:52 
Click Here to See the Profile for igottaknow Click here to Send igottaknow a Private Message Add igottaknow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

Yes, but you have the attention span of your rape victims.

Old Post Apr-18-2011 01:54 
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pie
My bf has a black and blue Magic deck, full of rare cards. Prolly worth a few hundred bucks or more.

If he's playing Standard, then he's probably running some variant of Blue/Black Control, in which case it's worth well more than a few hundred bucks:

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=817311

The deck's effectiveness has greatly improved in recent months with the release of the latest expansion set.

Old Post Apr-18-2011 07:35  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords

i was mostly just thinking "well i can't disagree with that" when i read hal's post
but i suppose that picture was adequate.

Old Post Apr-18-2011 07:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:

Well, there are two points here. Firstly, a game like Starcraft or Magic or any other game is only going to last for so long and while you might make a good living off it for so long, if the carpet is pulled from under you your CV is going to look extremely barren.

Secondly, as Paradox Lost has implied, competitive gaming really isn't much fun at all. At university I tried playing Halo competitively, and after a couple of months I just got the fuck out of there. Not only does it become extremely joyless and monotonous in its own right, but that whole community attracts the worst breed of obnoxious beta-males. It more or less killed my lingering interest in gaming altogether.

If it's not giving you much pleasure, it's not improving your long-term situation and it's (probably) not helping your social life, you have to ask what's the point of pursuing that particular dream.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-18-2011 13:20  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Domesticated
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
If it's not giving you much pleasure, it's not improving your long-term situation and it's (probably) not helping your social life, you have to ask what's the point of pursuing that particular dream.

Props from r5a?

Old Post Apr-18-2011 13:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for Domesticated Click here to Send Domesticated a Private Message Add Domesticated to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Magic: The C0r Gathering
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (13): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackidentification plz [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWay Out West - "Ajare" (Way Out West Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread