TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Music Producers Promotion
-- Licensing, Copyright, and Distribution Info
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »

Posted by tu_face on Feb-02-2003 14:15:

General Awareness

hullo there

im posting this as im not sure about the level of awareness on these subjects in this forum. i think those that dont practise these things i am about to write, should, otherwise they might end up bein screwed/lose out on monies due to them so especially if you are looking for a release in the near future, make sure u read and do this

firstly and most important, is the copyright. if you dont have proof of copyright ownership then u have nothing to sell to the labels, and if you send uncopyrighted material to a label and they perhaps like the idea, theres nothing to stop them making their own version of the track, releasing it and you not getting a penny.. now in the UK all this requires is sending yourself a master copy via special delivery. this ensures that u have a receipt of postage with a date and signature on it. the cd and inlay must state the copyright statement i.e. "© . All rights reserved". make sure on the package you write which tracks are in the package (if any legal arguments occur u dont get 2 chances in court ). make sure you keep the receipt and the package in a very safe place. another way of ensuring copyright ownership is leaving a copy in a safe deposit box, with a receipt dated & signed by the bank manager. make sure you write exactly the same things as stated above on the cd and package, and keep the receipt in a safe place. i understand that copyright laws differ from country to country, so if ur not sure then make sure you check what must be done!

secondly, whether your signed or not, if your tracks are good then people will play them. In most countries there are royalty collection agencies, the two most important of which are the performing rights (when ur tunes get played to the public), and the mechanical reproduction rights (if ur tunes get pressed to vinyl/put on a compilation cd). For UK artists, these are called PRS and MCPS.. go to www.prs.co.uk where there are links to the MCPS & details of how to join each. i cant remember the name of the agencies in the US & other places, but search for royalty collection on a search engine.. if you know your tracks are being played, join these agencies so that u can receive these royalties for your work. they will require proof of your tune being played (a letter from either a broadcaster, promoter or venue owner confirming the public performance/broadcast took place).

i hope this helps some ppl

Posted by DJ Mikey Mike on Feb-02-2003 15:07:

thanks for the advice. Will keep this in mind.

Posted by vmc on Feb-04-2003 16:20:

I guess there is also a possibility to register a track in a royalty collection agency, so that someone who plagiarize your track later won't be able to release it without paying you royalties.

This thread contains pretty important info, should be made sticky IMHO.

Posted by tu_face on Feb-06-2003 16:02:

thx for the stickage

Posted by Luke Terry on Feb-06-2003 16:27:

Cool

np face of 2, i thought u had powah in here so i just left it alone until i saw that your name aint up there, rather strange...

get on IRC need to send u a clip of remix action

Posted by Martin McG on Feb-06-2003 16:30:

some good info up there tu_face

Posted by Lira on Feb-06-2003 20:08:

For those of you who want to know more about copyright (and couldn't be arsed to use the engine ), here are some links from other threads:
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...light=copyright
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...light=copyright
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...highlight=steal
(the last one is quite entertaining actually )

Here are some remaining doubts after reading all this stuff:

1) What can't be copyrighted? I've been told that beats cannot be copyrighted, so it's okay to rip the beat off some other tune - I want to check it with you guys, since I never read a law about it. All I read is that you can only copyright the melody (which is kinda weird for electronic music, since we deal with a lot more things than non-electronic music, such as filters, effects, et cetera).

2) Isn't the "mailing thing" protected by international treaties? As far as I know, no matter where in the world you are, it may be used in court.

3) I didn't get the royalties thing How can you be sure the broadcaster is gonna contact you, for example? Could someone be arsed to explain, please?

4) What's the best way to contact labels? Should I send at least a couple of tunes or it's okay to send just one?

Posted by tu_face on Feb-06-2003 21:24:

ok firstly, beats are a weird one.. if its a blatent rip then i suppose its copyrighted just as much as the melody. but u cant really get away with that if u just have a kick and a hat.. it has to be something very unique.. i.e. techno when u create the copyright, u are copyrighting the entire works anyway

re: the royalties thing...

Performing rights royalty: radios, clubs, bars, shops etc all have to purchase what is (in the UK) a PRS license if they wish to play music to the public. the fee they pay differs depending on the music they play, i.e. a radio station will pay a higher fee as they play loads of music, whereas a shop wouldnt have to pay so much as ppl arnt there for the music. this money is then put into one fund and split between members of the PRS at a percentage that represents the amount of music of yours that gets played. radio's keep playlists of what is played. I think shops have to note what cd's are played, and a new movement in the UK by the PRS is to get DJ's to hand in setlists, so that royalties go to the right pockets.

The mechanical copyright royalty (by joining the MCPS): this means you get money for when ppl license the track to go on compilations etc. i think this also goes if you get a repress after the initial release.. but dont quote me on that one

contacting labels: i posted about this on i:vibes so ill paste what i wrote here to save effort

the key is good presentation. they are more likely to take notice of something that looks good instead of putting it to one side and forgetting about it. so a good cover is essential

as far as the tracks are concerned, put no more than 3 or 4 tracks on your CD, starting with your best work (so they dont hear something not so good and ditch it )

its also very important to put all contact info (mobile, email, home address) in the sleeve (and on the CD if possible as the two may get separated).. another thing that has to be on the sleeve (and the CD) is the copyright statement.

another thing to include is a short history about yourself, how u started producing.. who you are influenced by etc etc

hope this lot helps

Posted by Lira on Feb-07-2003 03:28:

Cheers tu_face

Posted by DJ_FRAZ on Feb-07-2003 18:08:

A lot of in depth stuff i didn't know.
Excellent advice

Posted by DJ-Ande on Feb-09-2003 16:05:

Dancing Dude

good to know some1 cares bout what happens to our fellow TA'z tracks

nice work!!

Posted by Lira on Feb-11-2003 02:35:

Another good topic: getting signed in a label from another country -> how risky is it? Is there any difference from getting signed in our homeland?

This sort of stuff

Posted by Dave_Masters on Feb-11-2003 11:24:

Having a publisher is also very handy...

Posted by eLe_vatE on Feb-11-2003 22:19:

yeh, publishers make sure you get all the royalties you're entitiled to (radio plays etc), pretty important.

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Feb-12-2003 15:33:

Okay then...
If I was to remix someone's track for, say, a b-side of a vinyl and it was published by a label, who would own the rights to it?

And as a remixer what kind of payment/royalties would I be entitled to have?

Posted by tu_face on Feb-13-2003 17:52:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
Okay then...
If I was to remix someone's track for, say, a b-side of a vinyl and it was published by a label, who would own the rights to it?

the rights would always be owned by the label, unless the track has been around for years, then the rights may be owned by the original artist. this means you have to clear the rights with the owner before remixing (unless your name is armin )

quote:

And as a remixer what kind of payment/royalties would I be entitled to have?

all this stuff is settled in the contract.. you generally have 2 options, a one off fee, or a percentage of royalties from the release

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Feb-13-2003 18:05:

Hmm...
The thing is that a friend of mine got signed.
Now, the label wants a hard trance remix of the track as a b-side to the vinyl and my friend asked me to do it since he's not very good at hard trance himself (what makes him think I'm any good at it is beyond me ).

Being the nice guy that I am I agreed to do it, but I never even thought there could be any kind of money involved until another friend asked me how much profit I was gonna make of it...

I haven't been in any contact with the label yet, so let's see what happens... or if they even like my remix.

I'm not really after profit (and I don't think I'm gonna make much either), but it'd be extremely good promotion...

Posted by tu_face on Feb-13-2003 18:11:

ah i see

well firstly the label will have to like ur remix.. secondly u have to make sure they havent already got someone else lined up for the remix (did they ask ur friend to do it himself..?) and third, u have to think which is gunna pay best.. i.e. is the record going to sell well? if so i would go for the royalty cut even if ur not that bothered about the money.. u may aswell take the option thats going to give u the most

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Feb-13-2003 18:18:

Well my friend held a minor contest about it and from the entrants so far he says my remix was the best - all we're concerned about now is the label's reaction to it.

Also, seeing as this is his first release it's quite understandable if it doesn't sell very much...

Posted by tu_face on Feb-13-2003 18:45:

what label is it on..? if its a good one then it will sell.. for example.. i see a bonzai record in the shop.. i pick it up and listen

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Feb-13-2003 18:56:

Home City Records, apparently.

Posted by George Kendall on Feb-16-2003 03:45:

thx for the info.. will keep this is mind

Posted by Mod1 on Feb-23-2003 06:55:

quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Having a publisher is also very handy...

agreed ....mines a top bloke brought stuff to my attention that i didnt know

Posted by Mod1 on Feb-23-2003 07:03:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
Well my friend held a minor contest about it and from the entrants so far he says my remix was the best - all we're concerned about now is the label's reaction to it.

Also, seeing as this is his first release it's quite understandable if it doesn't sell very much...

if it sells 1500 copies (which is highly unlikly on a first release given the state of the industry) it might earn him about £900 so just get him to give you a cut of what he earns on it ...best option really. if you dont expect too much you wont be disappointed...

always worked for me....

Posted by Dave_Masters on Feb-25-2003 17:04:

quote:
if it sells 1500 copies (which is highly unlikly on a first release given the state of the industry)

hhmm, i wouldnt say thats unlikely, depends how good it is.

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »