TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- DJ Promotion
-- Jack Moss - Crazy Beautiful [Progressive House]

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Oct-15-2020 19:44:

Jack Moss - Crazy Beautiful [Progressive House]

A few people have been asking when I was going to do another "Friday night lockdown session". Well, as the virus resurges and the government steadily bans anything resembling sociable activity, that time has come again. This was recorded on the Friday night just gone with no planning beyond a rough idea of the first 30 minutes, with plenty of tracks you've probably heard me play before. I played for five hours in total - I'll upload Part 2 once people have had time to digest this one.

JackMoss · Crazy Beautiful : 1

JackMoss · Crazy Beautiful : 2

Part 1:

01. Djuma Soundsystem - Les Djinns (Trentemoller Remix) [EMI]
02. Hraach - Promises [Hoomidaas]
03. Steve Bug & youANDme - Beyond AI (Dub) [Rotary Cocktail]
04. Gorge - Erotic Soul (2020 Rework) [8 Bit]
05. Aspetuck - Lift Point (Route 8's Dubby Has No Master Remix) [This Is Our Time]
06. Danny Howells - Earthlings X [Selador]
07. Minimalistix - Struggle For Pleasure (Filterheadz Remix) [Sphear]
08. Higgins - Detox [Krafted Underground]
09. Hot Tuneik - Green Eyes [Balkan Connection]
10. Sasha feat. Polica - Out Of Time [Kompakt]
11. Habischman - Moan [Knee Deep In Sound]
12. Route 8 - Liquid Night [This Is Our Time]
13. Lauren Lane - Forget To Remember [20/20 Vision]
14. Dousk & JMP - Idle Up [Tulipa]
15. Capricorn - 20hz (Nalin & Kane Mix) [R&S]
16. Habischman - Dub Rumours [Selador]
17. Eelke Klein - 8 Bit Era (Nick Warren & Nicolas Rada Extended Remix) [DAYS like NIGHTS]
18. Bananarama ft. Ace Of Base - Cruel Summer (Henry Saiz Remix) [Soundcloud]
19. Dmitry Molosh - Sacra [Replug]
20. Dmitry Molosh - Note [Balance]
21. Perel - Die Dimension (Dub Version) [DFA]
22. Gorge - Be Yourself [8 Bit]
23. Nick Curly - Second Lick [8 Bit]
24. Bliss Inc. - Hacking The Planet [Radiant Love]
25. No Moon - Aoe_Rushin (Adam Pits Remix) [X Kalay]
26. J-Zbel - Tunnel Vision (Jack Moss ’No Zion’ Edit) [BFDM]
27. DAVI - Labyrinth (Club Mix) [Proton]
28. Tyler Schauman - Canopy [Ghost Digital]
29. Yotto - Daydreaming (Extended Mix) [Anjunadeep]
30. Jimpster feat. Jinadu - These Times (Dixon's Retouch) [Freerange]
31. Dave Seaman & DJ Paul (AR) - Loco Hermoso (Hernan Cattaneo & Mariano Mellino Remix) [Selador]
32. The Loco - Prometheus [Balkan Connection]

Part 2:

33. Bedrock - Forge (Fretwell Mix) [Bedrock Breaks]
34. Pete Lazonby - Sacred Cycles (Timber Mix) [N/A]
35. Leama - Melodica (Northface Mix) [Platipus]
36. Weekend Heroes & Dmitry Molosh - Power Plant [Beat Boutique]
37. Spieltape - All Of You (Oliver Schories Remix) [Highway]
38. Higgins - All That You Want [Plethora Muzik]
39. Eddie Richards - Danger [Sweatbox]
40. Kollektiv Turmstrasse - Sorry I Am Late (Extended) [Diynamic]
41. Shiloh - All That [Lowbit]
42. Oscar Holgado - Eme P3 [Baroque]
43. Seamus Haji - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (Hot Toddy Remix) [Big Love]
44. Sharam - Lobi [Yoshitoshi]
45. Nicolas Rada - Satori [Sudbeat]
46. Kirsty Hawkshaw - Fine Day (James Holden Remix) [Mainline]
47. Brame & Hamo - Sports Complex [Brame & Hamo]
48. New Order - Blue Monday (Hardfloor Remix) [London]
49. Diamond Dealer - Little Hungry Monster [Bedrock]
50. Sven Väth - L'Esperanza (Ame Reinterpretation) [Cocoon]
51. Sven Väth - L'Esperanza (Single Edit) [Eye Q]

Posted by Lews on Oct-16-2020 13:35:

Alright, I'm ready for Part 2

Great stuff, as usual. Excellent flow and tunage, throughout. I hadn't heard 'Out of Time' in a while, now, forgot how great that one is. And funny to hear 'Cruel Summer,' again, I was listening to that myself just last week, hah.

Bit of a tease at the end there, though

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Oct-18-2020 07:21:

That didn't take you long. Were you chained to the computer while you finished your PhD?

I'll put Part 2 up in a week or two. I figured a five hour set would put people off, not that this has had many plays so far. After a bit of thought I've tagged it as Progressive House. Even though I play a few different styles in there, prog is always at the core.

Posted by Lews on Oct-19-2020 17:48:

Yep, this was the last thing I listened to before submitting! So I'll blame you for any typos that slipped past me

Definitely Prog House overall.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Nov-01-2020 10:09:

Part 2 now online, with the tracklist in the OP updated. I was throwing down plenty of classics by that point.

Posted by JonDC on Nov-09-2020 20:40:

I've given this a couple of listens now and think I'm familiar enough with it to leave a review.

For me, it's a game of 3 parts. The first hour or so is ok - lots of great tracks but it kind of meanders between styles, and whilst the mixing all works well musically, I feel like the structure is a bit undeliberate. For example, when Hot Tuneik - Green Eyes comes in - the transitions in and out are perfectly in key and sound good, but its sandwiched between tunes of quite different styles. This is a stark contrast from your 'all night long' marathon mix, which sets a very clear direction for the set at the beginning and builds atmosphere with a consistent tone, which I appreciate. However, I can see from your description that little to no planning went into this set - and that makes a lot of sense. If this was a live set, you wouldn't have to worry about forum dwelling, chin stroking wankers picking apart the juxtaposition of styles in the warm up 😂

The mix gets really tasty from Capricorn - 20hz (Nalin & Kane Mix). The drums in this track made me sit up and listen (and gurn a bit). What a track! Everything from this point until the end of part 1 is absolutely stellar. So many brilliant tracks, including 'Cruel Summer', 8 Bit Eras, Sacra, Daydreaming, Be Yourself and too many more to mention. No issues here with structure at all. You are cruising between the genres with ease and maintaining a 'peak time' feel, with a sense that things are building up too.

Part 2 is a lot of fun. It's wall to wall anthems but without getting carried away. I thought the section going from Fine Day -> Sports Complex -> Blue Monday looks completely barking on paper, and it is, but at this point in the set I think you can get away with mixing up the styles quite a lot. The transitions work great and the variety is good and keeps things interesting. But this just shows how different my expectations are at different parts of the set. Was nice to hear the homage to 'Business Prog' with Shiloh and Seamus Haji - great tunes, and nice ending with Sven Vath.

All in all, a great set with a serious arsenal of high quality weaponry. 8.5/10

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Nov-11-2020 21:55:

quote:
Originally posted by JonDC
For example, when Hot Tuneik - Green Eyes comes in - the transitions in and out are perfectly in key and sound good, but its sandwiched between tunes of quite different styles.

I can remember why I played that tune. I wanted to play Out Of Time because it's one of my girlfriend's favourites, but I felt the flow wasn't quite ready for it and the set needed a "builder" to create a bit more tension before dropping a big vocal. Green Eyes wasn't quite a perfect tune to match those around it, but you can't always find the perfect tune in the moment, can you? You've just got to find something in your collection that does the job. Such are the imperfections of playing an unplanned set.

Anyway, good to know you enjoyed the bulk of it. Going between floaty end-of-the-night tunes and harder tracks at the very end of a set is a trick I learned from Laurent Garnier. Again, I was pretty smashed by that point so it might not have been the immaculately contoured programming of a planned set.

Posted by rdevito on Nov-23-2020 03:21:

I miss listening to DJ sets, so i'm gonna give this a go.

Thanks.

Posted by Mr Game+Watch on Dec-01-2020 16:20:

Leama - Melodica (Northface Mix)... wow, haven't heard that one in a while. I used it in an old computer game I designed a few years back...

I've listened to this through a few times by now, really liked the diversity of genres on hand... a personal highlight was the middle of part 2 when you were banging out the big room housey anthems.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Dec-03-2020 21:22:

Nice work, I'm impressed that you've listened to the full thing more than once. I must be doing something right.

I've always loved that remix of Melodica. I tore it in opposite directions here by slowing it down but transposing the key up at the same time, something that would have been futuristic voodoo back in 2002 when it came out.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Dec-06-2020 20:33:

Thanks! All 5 hours are recorded but in two parts - the second part is also in my first post. And yep, the whole thing was recorded in one session. I'm using Traktor and a Kontrol S2 these days because I can't afford decent decks.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Dec-06-2020 22:00:

For some reason Traktor records in WAV in chunks of 2 gig maximum, which translates to just over 3 hours of audio, so a 5 hour recording will always be split into different files. I could glue the two bits together into one giant file, but SC is a real dick about large uploads.