TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- DJ Promotion
-- ::::::::. **** TA Genre Challenge, Round 4 **** .::::::::
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »

Posted by Meat187 on Jun-30-2010 09:50:

::::::::. **** TA Genre Challenge, Round 4 **** .::::::::

After challenging myself to deliver some atrocious cheese Trance I thought of this and that it could actually be fun. So this attempt at a fourth round is either a resurrection or the final death knell. In that respect the most important rule is: DO NOT ENTER IF YOU CAN NOT DELIVER YOUR FUCKIN MIX!!!
Now let's see if this works, if no one is interested things might just get cancelled.

Brief Summary:
TA DJs can participate in this challenge. If you do so, you'll be given a randomly selected genre and have to make a mix of that.
Here's how it works in detail.

Step 1: Registration
If you want to participate post in this thread and name a genre that you want to include in the challenge. This must be a genre that is not already named by another participant. Use only EDM genres and don't select anything extremely weird, rare or specific. I'll keep an updated list of accepted people and genres. You can't add a genre without participating or participate without adding a genre. Also, post in such a way that your intentions are clear.
Registration will be open until next Wednesday (07.07.) 13:00 (GMT+1:00).

Step 2: Drawing
After the registration closes there will be 24 hours of time when you may do two things:
1) Withdraw from the challenge. (If you don't like the genre list, are too busy, entered accidentally, etc.)
2) If you have successfully participated in a previous round you can name one genre from the list you do not want to mix. I'll consider this in the drawing.
Entering is not possible anymore in this stage. The drawing will be posted on Thursday (08.06) 13:00 (GMT+1:00).

Step 3: Mixing
Your mix should be between 30 and 80 minutes long. The deadline for submitting them is in 5 weeks, on Wednesday, 11.08.2010
You're also supposed to offer the person who'll mix the genre you brought in some help if required and give him a short feedback on how well he did.

Posted by Meat187 on Jun-30-2010 09:50:

Drawing & Links:

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Jun-30-2010 10:37:

I'm down with this, but I suggest two rules:

1. As before, if you've already played a previous round you can veto one genre in this round.
2. You can't be given a genre you've already mixed in a previous round.

So with that said: Acid House.

Posted by Meat187 on Jun-30-2010 10:59:

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I'm down with this, but I suggest two rules:

1. As before, if you've already played a previous round you can veto one genre in this round.
2. You can't be given a genre you've already mixed in a previous round.

So with that said: Acid House.

1. OK, added this again. People didn't use it a lot in round 3, but whatever.
2. I'll try to pay attention to this but don't want to make it an explicit rule. The chances are slim anyway.

Posted by Sand Leaper on Jun-30-2010 15:11:

I guess that this indeed will be the last test to see if people still bother with this concept.

Does hip hop count as "EDM" in here?

Posted by Meat187 on Jun-30-2010 15:45:

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Does hip hop count as "EDM" in here?

No.

Posted by Adam420 on Jun-30-2010 16:09:

Ambient/drone

Posted by montana on Jun-30-2010 18:35:

Goa

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Jun-30-2010 18:48:

Big Beat

Posted by Sand Leaper on Jun-30-2010 21:44:

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
No.

Right...I guess I'll go with electro instead, then. The Planet Rock-type.

Posted by Teezdalien on Jun-30-2010 22:00:

I'm in. I'll go with schranz/hardtechno.

Posted by pozz on Jun-30-2010 22:16:

I'm in. Dub techno.

Posted by Meat187 on Jul-01-2010 09:36:

Surprising lack of Trance and House so far. And Humppa.

Posted by Meat187 on Jul-01-2010 11:52:

quote:
Originally posted by 19503
Rave/Happy Hardcore (oldschool)

Hmm, I don't think Rave and Happy Hardcore are the same thing, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

Posted by Sand Leaper on Jul-01-2010 12:40:

I guess what he means is the old breakbeat hardcore that later would become happy hardcore (i.e. The Prodigy - Your Love, the vocal stuff on Kniteforce and of course the infamous Smart Es - Sesame's Treet).

Posted by MrJiveBoJingles on Jul-01-2010 13:41:

IDM.

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Jul-01-2010 15:12:

Actually, can I still change mine?

Posted by Meat187 on Jul-01-2010 15:19:

quote:
Originally posted by 19503
Sand Leaper is onto it. Music from before 94 basicly. Capella, Acen, Hackney Hardcore, early Moby and Prodigy, Westbam etc.

I'll call it Rave then, cause with Happy Hardcore you'll get this. Or can you come up with a more accurate term?

quote:
Originally posted by MrJiveBoJingles
IDM.

I'm having some trouble with this, as I don't know whether IDM really describes something that is a clearly defined genre. It just seems like a very general terms for everything and nothing, but of course I don't really know much about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
Actually, can I still change mine?

Yes.

Posted by MrJiveBoJingles on Jul-01-2010 15:25:

quote:
I'm having some trouble with this, as I don't know whether IDM really describes something that is a clearly defined genre. It just seems like a very general terms for everything and nothing, but of course I don't really know much about it.

Meh, okay.

Downtempo / triphop.

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Jul-01-2010 16:08:

quote:
Yes.

OK, I'll just pick straight up Progressive Trance then. Hopefully the good kind and not the twinkly kind but I guess that's not up to me

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Jul-01-2010 20:02:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
OK, I'll just pick straight up Progressive Trance then. Hopefully the good kind and not the twinkly kind but I guess that's not up to me

Boring, man. I'd much rather hear a big beat mix in this game.

Posted by Sand Leaper on Jul-01-2010 20:12:

quote:
Boring, man. I'd much rather hear a big beat mix in this game.

I dunno, I've seen so many commercials with Leave You Far Behind in it by now that it just seems to piss me off.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Jul-01-2010 20:17:

True, your average big beat mix would probably be full of obvious Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and Crystal Method tracks. I still think it's better when people are outside their comfort zone a little though. There are a billion and one prog trance mixes in this subforum.

Posted by Mr.Mystery on Jul-02-2010 03:10:

quote:
True, your average big beat mix would probably be full of obvious Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and Crystal Method tracks. I still think it's better when people are outside their comfort zone a little though. There are a billion and one prog trance mixes in this subforum.

Yeah, but I just wanted to see at least one mix with trance in it. I'm just hoping it'll land to someone who doesn't usually mix/listen to it. It's a bit of a gamble, I know, but I'm hoping it'll work out.

Posted by Lews on Jul-02-2010 03:14:

I'm in.

Tech-Trance

Pages (11): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »