TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- Building a house - speaker question
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Posted by _Ocean_Drive_ on Dec-29-2021 07:00:

Building a house - speaker question

Hello c0re,

I'm having a house built for March 2023 and want to know from all you audiophiles out there...

Is a high-quality TV theatre system also good for just playing music? or should I am for speakers for Home Theatre, and other speakers just for music?

Brand recommendations also welcome...

kthnx

Posted by Zoso on Dec-29-2021 12:22:

Be sure to check out rtings.com if you go the sound bar route. Granted, most audiophiles build a DIY solution with a good receiver and separate speakers, but if you do go the bar route, rtings.com tests for both movie viewing and music, with graphs showing the frequency response, etc.

Posted by OrangestO on Dec-29-2021 19:22:

I'm thinking of building a club/bar/lounge next year. Actually, not a club, more like a bar or lounge where you can buy records and chill with like-minded music heads. In London, I would be way out of my league and could never come close to accomplishing anything. In other places around the world, though, there's a chance for us to create the dance. Anyway, this is one of the many questions that has popped into my head. I'm researching like crazy and networking. Design is easy here. Permits and all that other shit is, too. But how to get the sound right (and possibly with screens) is my conundrum. This is still all in such an infant stage, but I'd love the read my responses to this question. Cheers.

Posted by Sykonee on Dec-29-2021 21:22:

Unless you're listening to music that's specifically designed with 5.1 theatre systems in mind, it probably won't matter much.

Posted by Demoted on Dec-29-2021 22:53:

Funktion One should make a soundbar.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Dec-29-2021 23:55:

Almost any 5.1 system with a sub will make dance music sound thumping. No need to separate music from home cinema.

Posted by planetaryplayer on Dec-30-2021 00:14:

If you’re having your house built for a speaker you should make the speaker your house

Posted by _Ocean_Drive_ on Dec-30-2021 06:02:

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
If you’re having your house built for a speaker you should make the speaker your house

/thread.

Posted by Zoso on Dec-30-2021 18:59:

quote:
Originally posted by _Ocean_Drive_
/thread.

Yeah, that's difficult to argue with right there!

Posted by _Ocean_Drive_ on Jan-04-2022 01:59:

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Almost any 5.1 system with a sub will make dance music sound thumping. No need to separate music from home cinema.

True, but I also like my classical / choral stuff, and I can imagine that 5.1 / Atmos or whatever would be 'overpowering'?

In any case, I am veering towards the cinema side, but would like to try out standalone speakrs - I've heard some pretty nice quality from Bowers & Wilkins...

Posted by r5a on Jan-23-2022 05:58:

quote:
Is a high-quality TV theatre system also good for just playing music? or should I am for speakers for Home Theatre, and other speakers just for music?

for the most part yes, your AVR receiver should be able to switch to direct mode and just play on the sub + FR and FL anyway which is what you'll end up doing 99%. receivers can upmix it to 7.1 but it's not great. to be honest, Sonos is the only brand I've ever listened to Music on and actually said "holy shit the upmixing makes a huge difference"

All your Marantz, Denon and shit license the same Dolby / DTS chips that have that PLxx upmixing shit that I was talking about. Sonos only pays Dolby but they don't license the upmixing portion, that is their own in house shit that works good. but sonos has a gang of their own problems and shit, they are the apple of the home theatre world, it's bullshit.

Realistically though, since you're a new build just go for a ballin home theatre setup. focus on that and then the music part of it is just an added kicker. look at avsforum.org for advice on that. DTS/Dolby have some reference diagrams on where you should do your "ideal" placements in a totally new setup you could factor into your architect's diagrams.

source: me owning sonos arc and surrounds and dumping my childhood earnings into all sorts of home theatre equipment and reading AVSforum

Posted by r5a on Jan-23-2022 06:03:

quote:
Originally posted by Zak McKracken
Atmos is a format for movies, not music. It’s 8+2 channels while stereo is 2. When playing music you would normally play in stereo only using 2 channels (meaning the remaining center and rear and side speakers will be mute). A sound system can never be too powerful. The same applies for both music and film (and for that matter; clubs too): you want flat frequency response, full range, high dynamics, clarity etc. If you buy an Atmos system that ticks of those properties it will work great for music too, however it will cost and take space. Alternatively you can reduce cost by prioritizing good speakers only on front channels and go down on quality for center and rear. Still you need to take some matching of amps and speakers, look for high sensitivity. I recommend separate power amps and pre-amp/processor but again it will cost. What’s your room size and budget? Are you ok with having many large speakers and subs all around (what’s the WAF in your home-situation)? Soundbars is a waste of money, you need width in any case both in stereo/music and film, soundbars are practically mono - ok for watching news but nothing else. Personally I never bothered with cinema sound, most movies sounds great on a high quality 2ch hifi from $1,5k while most home cinemas does not play music very well unless you’re approaching 3-4k. Give me budget and a room size and I can recommend some solutions.

use some fucking paragraphs here bud.

- atmos is not 8+2, that's wrong. its 7.1 with height channels so technically 9.1

- A sound system can never be too powerful.
is also very wrong, you can absolutely oversize a system.

- you buy an Atmos system that ticks of those properties it will work great for music too, however it will cost and take space
what, just no.

- Alternatively you can reduce cost by prioritizing good speakers only on front channels and go down on quality for center and rear.
lol this is just bad advice, your center channel is probably one of the more important speakers in the soundstage.

also atmos isn't even a factor here, everything is mastered in stereo for music anyway, unless you get some fucking DVD of a concert or something so it goes back to my post above this.

Posted by Swamper on Jan-23-2022 18:16:

I find audio components to be the greatest money pit for the average person who doesn't bother to research things. You can buy a ridiculously powerful/expensive subwoofer for your room but if the room is small AND you don't even know about frequency range or crossovers then you're wasting $. So many ppl just plug things in and don't change the default settings lol

Posted by Silky Johnson on Jan-24-2022 21:13:

If only RANN was still here.

Posted by Zoso on Jan-25-2022 15:02:

Yes hello. Is this house built yet? I feel like I should have received my house party invitation by now.

Posted by _Ocean_Drive_ on Feb-18-2022 00:31:

quote:
Originally posted by r5a
for the most part yes, your AVR receiver should be able to switch to direct mode and just play on the sub + FR and FL anyway which is what you'll end up doing 99%. receivers can upmix it to 7.1 but it's not great. to be honest, Sonos is the only brand I've ever listened to Music on and actually said "holy shit the upmixing makes a huge difference"

All your Marantz, Denon and shit license the same Dolby / DTS chips that have that PLxx upmixing shit that I was talking about. Sonos only pays Dolby but they don't license the upmixing portion, that is their own in house shit that works good. but sonos has a gang of their own problems and shit, they are the apple of the home theatre world, it's bullshit.

Realistically though, since you're a new build just go for a ballin home theatre setup. focus on that and then the music part of it is just an added kicker. look at avsforum.org for advice on that. DTS/Dolby have some reference diagrams on where you should do your "ideal" placements in a totally new setup you could factor into your architect's diagrams.

source: me owning sonos arc and surrounds and dumping my childhood earnings into all sorts of home theatre equipment and reading AVSforum

Thanks for this. Kinda aligns with the articles I've come across.

It does seem like adecent home theatre setup is the way forward, although, I did recently read a review of Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar...

quote:
Originally posted by Swamper
I find audio components to be the greatest money pit for the average person who doesn't bother to research things. You can buy a ridiculously powerful/expensive subwoofer for your room but if the room is small AND you don't even know about frequency range or crossovers then you're wasting $. So many ppl just plug things in and don't change the default settings lol

The room is going to a big downstairs open plan. Separates would for me, be absolutely the way to go. ALthough as I said above, I read reviews of a Sennheiser soundbar which would solve a lot of dithering and indecisiveness.

quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
Yes hello. Is this house built yet? I feel like I should have received my house party invitation by now.

Opening in March 2023...

Posted by Zoso on Feb-18-2022 19:57:

I have the date reserved in my Outlook Calendar.

Posted by r5a on Feb-22-2022 22:45:

quote:
Thanks for this. Kinda aligns with the articles I've come across.

It does seem like adecent home theatre setup is the way forward, although, I did recently read a review of Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar...

no problem man.

i did see the ambeo soundbar but I'm against it. I have a personal rule that over 1k for a soundbar you probably reach well past into the territory of diminishing returns. if you're going to drop that munch for a soundbar, you might as well get a full receiver + speaker setup. these soundbars all the speakers are isolated in one physical location. I don't really care what anyone says but there will always be a world of difference when the speakers are physically placed around you compared to just being contained in front of you. my arc setup went WAY better having the paired surrounds than just the arc itself. you simply can't beat the physics of having the sound travel from different locations to your ears, it makes a difference. and the fact that the ambeo has no satellites or supports for it is pretty much a nail in the coffin.

rtings is a really good review site https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/rev.../ambeo-soundbar

they give it a solid rating sure but i can almost guarantee if you put that money into a cheap av 5.1 package it will beat it

Posted by Colossal on May-16-2022 11:49:

For good sound quality, you can look at the features of the following systems -
Sony HT-RT3: its sound system is very good but it gives a much better experience for gaming purpose
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4: This is my personal favorite (cuz this is the only one that I had personally experienced). With dolby atmos, it's easily accessible and great for movies and TV. Also has a long list of positive reviews.
Sonos Soundbar Surround Set: awesome clarity, features and killing good sound quality
Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar System: dolby atmos with integrating upfiring speakers. This actually seems great if gone through the specs, also as mentioned by my paper writer it gives the perfect sync if connected with Samsung TV
Bose Soundbar 900 Home Theater Set: it has a 7 speaker arrangement, voice enabled and HQ sound system just as your requirement

Posted by _Ocean_Drive_ on May-21-2022 08:06:

Thanks for the replies.
My housemaker has thrown in 5 JBL ceiling speakers for free, so I've decided to go for an Atmos setup

Amp: Denon AVR-X6700H
Floor speakers: DALI Oberon 9
Sub-woofer: DALI SUB E-9 F
Middle speaker: DALI OBERON VOKAL
Rear wall: DALI Oberon Onwall

Cable The Chord Company SARSEN SPEAKERCABLE (for Atmos, 'cos I need 80m and it ain't gonna be cheap) I may get something fancier for the floor speakers, though

For regular music, I'm just gonna use my old Denon cd player.

Posted by Mmanu on Jun-03-2022 12:14:

Running an custom upgraded Arcam 7.1 paired with some Rogers speakers. 2 more home made custom speakers for anything stereo, Audioquest cables for the speakers, and everything else is wired in optical. Did not break the bank, got some major value for money. Movies or music, it does the job and does it well. I previously tried loads of other major brands of amps since the 90s.

quote:
Originally posted by r5a
receivers can upmix it to 7.1 but it's not great. to be honest,

Mine is bluffing, just played some old Top Gear DVD, my media player upgrading to 1080p and the amp upgrading from stereo to a DTS Neo 6 mix. 10 years ago I was convinced it would be impossible to do this, a bit like extracting water from a stone. I started buying loads of music DVD and Blurays after getting that amp.

Posted by itsamemario on Jun-04-2022 07:31:

Ive paid in total about 1100 usd + aboot 100 for the m-audio unit i use to connect the speakers to, and Id def get that for listening...

Ive got two mackie mr8s laying on the side with the subs in toward center, two prodipe 5 inch somethings (thought i was buying the ones with the ribbon tweets 2nd hand, but alas was regular paper tweets when i went to get them haha) and then two genelec 8020a's. got the 5 inchers pointing right at me with the 8020s shooting the sound out a little wider. sounds like cream in my ears after having done the right settings on the fucking roll-offs and cuts... got one dial for the mid/bass and one for the highs that come outta the 'lecs. sounds awwwwwesome. its like mixing/producing inside a club, gurning up against the speakers style.. so loud, so clear, so punchy..

Posted by Zoso on Jul-05-2022 15:53:

quote:
Thanks for the replies.
My housemaker has thrown in 5 JBL ceiling speakers for free, so I've decided to go for an Atmos setup

Amp: Denon AVR-X6700H
Floor speakers: DALI Oberon 9
Sub-woofer: DALI SUB E-9 F
Middle speaker: DALI OBERON VOKAL
Rear wall: DALI Oberon Onwall

Cable The Chord Company SARSEN SPEAKERCABLE (for Atmos, 'cos I need 80m and it ain't gonna be cheap) I may get something fancier for the floor speakers, though

For regular music, I'm just gonna use my old Denon cd player.

Sounds fabulous! My next upgrade will be a sound upgrade. We've got relatively limited space, so it will be some type of sound bar upgrade, which although not ideal can still yield some pretty good results. I'll probably wait until this fall/winter, but that will give me time for some research. I don't have a ton of Atmos UHD BDs, and I have only upgraded a select portion of my existing BD ROM collection. However, I've noticed Atmos is getting quite popular on streaming services, though from what I understand it's a sort of stripped down version of Atmos.

Posted by _Ocean_Drive_ on Jul-06-2022 13:20:

quote:
Sounds fabulous! My next upgrade will be a sound upgrade. We've got relatively limited space, so it will be some type of sound bar upgrade, which although not ideal can still yield some pretty good results. I'll probably wait until this fall/winter, but that will give me time for some research. I don't have a ton of Atmos UHD BDs, and I have only upgraded a select portion of my existing BD ROM collection.

Thanks! Dfecided to go with a 5.1.4 setup. It'll never get bigger than this 'cos I don't have the space, money, willpower, or desire for anything more - I think this'll be decent enough

quote:
However, I've noticed Atmos is getting quite popular on streaming services, though from what I understand it's a sort of stripped down version of Atmos.

How do you 'strip down' Atmos? To what?

Posted by Zoso on Jul-06-2022 14:59:

This link provides some insights: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-...by-atmos-sound/

Essentially you can tell a device that the sound is encapsulated in an Atmos "container" but not really include/support all the true meta data features of Atmos as it would be on a UHD BD disc, for example. And I think it can vary by both streaming service and device. I generally prefer UHD BD on my Sony X800-M2 if I can get it, but I admit that I do watch more streaming than I used to, simply for convenience. With my current sound bar, I can't even take advantage of Atmos, so I'm more inclined to enjoy Dolby Vision material, as my display and UHD BD player support it.

Pages (2): [1] 2 »