TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- Corona Virus Fears in your area
Pages (32): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »

Posted by 72hrpartyanimal on Mar-05-2020 17:15:

Corona Virus Fears in your area

Wuddup guys. Figured I'd start a civilized discussion (not really) about how your respective areas/locations are handling the fears associated with the Corona virus.

I'm here in Los Angeles and unfortunately, bad news spreads like the wild fires we have every year. You can already see people getting ready by buying additional supplies. A friend told me that her local Costco was out of toilet paper and another Costco in an adjacent city was limiting the amount of water (2 cases) they could purchase.

The company that I work for has already communicated that any work related travel was restricted and any upcoming non-work related travel plans (especially to affected areas like Washington state) would require manager notification. All precautions of course.

I'm personally not too concerned about the virus but I am worried about my daughters school having to temporarily close. That means my wife or I would have to take time off. Not too bad for me because of vacation/sick time but my wife is self employed. So if she doesn't work, she doesn't make money.

What's going on in your areas?

Posted by 72hrpartyanimal on Mar-05-2020 17:17:

oh... we were also planning a family trip to Barcelona this summer (with quick outing to Innervisions as well). Thankfully we haven't purchased flights yet as our plans are on hold for now. I'm sure it'll be safe BUTTTT lets just see how things work out. Maybe flights and hotels will be cheaper if we wait it out.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Mar-05-2020 18:28:

I'm supposed to be in Amsterdam month to see Hernan Cattaneo. Given that flights and large gatherings of people are two of the things most affected by this bloody virus, betting's off if I'll actually get to go.

Other than that, and the spectacle of Chinese students everywhere wearing face masks, it's business as usual here.

Posted by Vector A on Mar-05-2020 19:16:

We just had our first confirmed case in Texas yesterday, so there's nothing too crazy going on here yet. I'm curious to see how the figures climb once the US stops dragging its ass on rolling out large-scale testing. My parents live in Washington not very far from where some of the first American deaths happened, so I am a bit concerned for them.

Posted by Silky Johnson on Mar-05-2020 21:25:

The virus itself is not the danger, it's each country's health system's ability to respond to and manage the critically ill cases that need hospitalization. Continuing to isolate/contain the spread, as has been happening, is the right move for now.

My region was heavily affected by SARS when it happened, so we have been very well prepared to respond to Covid-19 via thorough screening and quarantine practices, and routine personal protection ie, handwashing, etc.

Here's a really great reddit post breaking down the most up to date stats + research.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/...utm_name=iossmf

Posted by Sushipunk on Mar-05-2020 21:27:

There have been 13 people test positive here in Queensland so far, last time I checked. So far the only "disruption" is that people have started panic buying in the last couple of days, and there is literally no toilet paper on the shelves in supermarkets.

Posted by Trance-M on Mar-05-2020 21:30:

There is an outbreak just 20 km from here in Germany. A guy at my work and two women at my wife's live there. The women have been ill, but weren't infected.
82 people have the virus here, most in the area of Utrecht.
Also most of them visited Italy recently.
I already have a cold all week, I'm not worried though.

Posted by 72hrpartyanimal on Mar-05-2020 21:45:

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
So far the only "disruption" is that people have started panic buying in the last couple of days, and there is literally no toilet paper on the shelves in supermarkets.

This is what I'm worried about. I need to go shopping at Costco today and need to reup on some toilet paper.

Posted by JEO on Mar-05-2020 21:59:

There are only 12 confirmed cases here so far, but the amount of infected has to be more if the virus really is contagious in its incubation stage. A planeful of people from Northern Italy came back home during the week and they weren't tested, so there's that. Our Northern parts are blessed with quite many Chinese tourists during this season, but surprisingly only one Chinese tourist has been tested positive.

Not very concerned for myself, but we have many old people in the family, some of age 90+. I'd be worried for their health, were they to catch the virus. We have a total of around 250 intensive care units here, so I'm not very confident in our capability of handling a full-blown epidemic of something where 20% of those infected require intensive care.

The individual quarantine cases we've had for now have been handled way too loosely in my opinion: if someone's tested positive for the virus, they're instructed to self-quarantine, with no mention what so ever of what their family should do, so the immediate family of those that have been infected have just been going to work and studies normally, I guess. On the other hand, our national railway company disinfected a whole train just because a person on the train mentioned they had flu-like symptoms. They didn't have COVID in the end.

Also, we keep a few days' worth of food in our cupboards normally and can work remotely, so we're set on that front.

Posted by Sykonee on Mar-06-2020 02:34:

When I see people buying 3, 5, 8, 20 packages of TP, each carrying about 12-24 rolls, I can't help but wonder how much they go through on the regular. Like, the quarantine periods only a few weeks, right? Do they expect the virus to give them the shits too?

Posted by Lews on Mar-06-2020 10:27:

I'm trying to convince my wife that we should go to Venice next weekend but she is reluctant.

It's hard to avoid the feeling that the whole world has gone insane and is blowing this virus ridiculously out of proportion. For many years now, possible hundreds or thousands, as human lives have gotten more and more comfortable, we've become more and more risk-adverse. Everyone freaking out about this seems like a perfect example. If I was old or had respiratory problems, I would likely proactively self-isolate, but I'm not and I don't, so I would like a super cheap 5 star hotel in Venice.

Posted by Zoso on Mar-06-2020 12:29:

1 confirmed case in TN, so far, which is where I live. I am going to restrict things like going to training/conferences, as my wife's lungs, thanks to her chemotherapy and radiation treatments, are like those of an 80 year old COPD patient. Well...not QUITE that bad, but bad enough that if she got the virus, she would, at the very least, require hospitalization. We're trying to avoid that, as we are still "paying for cancer" and her spinal fusion surgery. Healthcare and insurance are so fucked up in this country that it's not even funny.

Posted by Silky Johnson on Mar-06-2020 14:10:

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
I'm trying to convince my wife that we should go to Venice next weekend but she is reluctant.

It's hard to avoid the feeling that the whole world has gone insane and is blowing this virus ridiculously out of proportion. For many years now, possible hundreds or thousands, as human lives have gotten more and more comfortable, we've become more and more risk-adverse. Everyone freaking out about this seems like a perfect example. If I was old or had respiratory problems, I would likely proactively self-isolate, but I'm not and I don't, so I would like a super cheap 5 star hotel in Venice.

I actually think it's pretty sweet the way populations are getting on board with restricted travel and other efforts to contain it. Obviously what makes the response to this virus different, is that the incubation and contagious periods overlap. I also just read that scientists have discovered there are actually two different strains of Covid19, one much more serious, albeit infecting in smaller percentages.

Anyway, I think the response has been very reasonable. Cold and flu season is almost over, then the threat of spread will be greatly diminished. That is, if it doesn't survive as well in warmer months.

Posted by Dykes_on_Jay on Mar-06-2020 14:14:

I win again.

Posted by Boomer187 on Mar-06-2020 15:53:

I found 2 n95 masks in my garage from when I was doing some work on the house. Am thinking of posting them on ebay.

We stocked up on formula, figured we were going to use it up anyways.

I am hoping they do not cancel many/any races here in the US. They are canceling some Marathon majors overseas...and I hope there are no triathlon cancellations either!

Posted by Zoso on Mar-06-2020 16:28:

It's crazy just how connected the world is. E.g., here I am in a little podunk town in rural TN, living in a county with a total population of around 8,000. I come in to work a couple of weeks ago (I work in a neighboring county), and the guy that handles our HR stuff (he works in one of our branch offices 2 hours away, normally) was in our building where is IT fools reside. He proceeds to tell us, "My son dates one of the tellers at our branch in City X. She is studying international business in college. She had an event scheduled in South Korea. She flew all the way over only to find out once she got there that the event had been cancelled due to coronavirus fears. She flew back and spent time at our home, visiting with my son." Now, I'm certainly not saying that this girl was exposed or infected, or that the HR guy was exposed or infected because this girl was in his home. But it was sobering to realize that I had, vicariously, POTENTIALLY been exposed even though I live in the damn woods and NEVER travel on any commercial or private flights. I drive 40 miles to work, and then the same 40 miles home every day. I never go out for lunch, and due to my social anxiety, I only leave the office about once a week for a light grocery run. But even being travel/social interaction averse, I was still potentially exposed.

Of course, so far so good...all is well. But I would be lying if I said my concerns aren't ratcheted up several notches because of my wife's lungs being in shit condition from 2 of the 4 drugs in the chemo cocktail and subsequent radiation she had to endure. It's truly a small world.

Posted by Silky Johnson on Mar-06-2020 17:42:

If only people treated/feared influenza the same way, and got bloody flu shots! But OH NO THE GUBMENT IS TRYNA POISON AND CONTROLLL US!

Posted by Zoso on Mar-06-2020 17:57:

quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson
If only people treated/feared influenza the same way, and got bloody flu shots! But OH NO THE GUBMENT IS TRYNA POISON AND CONTROLLL US!

The bank pays for ours every year, so I get one religiously. I figure a cell phone is doing far more gubment tracking that anything in a vaccine every could, which is why I don't own one.

Posted by Trance-M on Mar-06-2020 20:28:

So my boss who's an airplane spotter told me airlines are flying planes empty so they don't loose the slots. WTF I'll never pay for CO2 compensation or any bullshit like that.

128 infections here now, one 87 year old died. Numbers in France and Germany go up fast, but I'm still not worried. Just hope I don't have to cancel our vacation to Crete over six weeks.

I wouldn't go to Italy right now, as there is a chance you can't return home when you want to. Even my Italian sales colleague (who lives in Italy) doesn't take the risk of traveling in Italy now.

Posted by 72hrpartyanimal on Mar-06-2020 20:32:

quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson

YESSSS!! I have close friends that simply refuse the flu shot because they think it's a way for the government to get you sick blah blah blah. Thankfully all they're not completely anti vax but their opinions on the flu shot is simply hilarious!

Posted by Zoso on Mar-06-2020 20:33:

I definitely think things are going to get worse/far more worrisome before they get better. We talk a big game here in the States, but big talk can't hide the budget cuts, etc.

Posted by Mokuyoujima on Mar-07-2020 08:18:

yo japanese passing by...

Posted by Mokuyoujima on Mar-07-2020 08:31:

schools are closed, scared tweets are deleted by SOMEBODY (it's real!), stages are put off... just into netflix lol
btw i am to go 2 Taiwan next week. how about that? my families ask me 2 cancel it tho :P
i think Taiwan is far safer than Japan...

Posted by OrangestO on Mar-07-2020 12:37:

My dad is supposed to fly from the States in a few weeks for our wedding and he's worried about being in the airports. One person has died where he lives, which doesn't help his anxiety.

I've been a bit worried about our unborn and his mother, but they say children aren't as vulnerable to the severe symptoms. I still have yet to hear why exactly.

We've both had really bad sore throats in the last few weeks that lasted longer than usual. That seems to be going around, too.

Perhaps this virus is the wake-up call the world needs. It's certainly highlighting the inadequacies in our healthcare systems. The silver lining is that it seems to have shifted people's focus from all the things they hate about each other to how we're all going to deal with this soon-to-be pandemic (how is it not classified as that already?). Then again people are a lot more paranoid around each other. I was on the tube yesterday and everyone on the train looked at the lady who coughed like she vomited.

The consensus among scientists is that at least half of the world's population will contract it. Other than washing our hands more, we're not doing anything different unless the government mandates it. If it weren't for us about to have a baby, I wouldn't pay much attention. But that makes it slightly nerve-racking. The collective panic is real, though, as illustrated by some of the empty shelves at the grocery stores (specifically toilet paper and products from Italy like pasta and the like). We did just order a shitload of diapers lol.

If you're interested in following the statistics, I recommend this graphic from Johns Hopkins:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdash...423467b48e9ecf6

Posted by Zoso on Mar-07-2020 13:51:

Here's a good article in Nat Geo with a sobering look at supply chain woes.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...at-coronavirus/

Pages (32): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »