|
Throwing events is very hard, but it all depends on what kind of events. I know when I started Mid-Atlantic Digital, our purpose was to bring international dj's that I liked that don't get a chance to come.
Some events we were very successful, others we broke even, and some we lost. There are so many factors that can hurt you and help you. It really is a gamble.
As for getting international dj's it really isn't that hard. Having the right venue helps, but getting the right venue is the hard part. Big venues expect a big return, and bar guarantees can become costly, because not only do you have to cover the cost of the event, but you have to hope you make enough at the bar to cover that. Also it's tough to get a good date at a big venue since they are in demand.
When we did out event at Cielo, we were only offered sunday's. So we took the risk. We took a hit with that event, and for future events at Cielo we had lined up some big names like, Nick Chagall, Rank 1, Dj Remy, etc, but it made no sense to continue a sun party. We tried to convince them to let us do this on a thurs, but they didn't want to offer that day, only sun. Shows you how hard it is to get a venue on the right day, even if you have some solid names.
I would of loved to have kept going with the international dj's, but it takes a lot of time, effort, and money to organize all of this. I just decided my time would best spent if I just concentrated on working on productions.
I think local events are what's needed now, and there are some very good ones, and I have some planes for some as well, but even local events take a lot of time and effort. I think local events are more beneficial to the scene. Since nyc has some great local talent.
___________________
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/DJALIMAHMUD
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ALIMAHMUD
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/ALI-MAHMUD
|